Recommended European Sci-fi or Fantasy Comics

Dead-Head-Ghost-2088

Registered
Reaction score
I was wanting if anything have any other recommended comics from Europe (French, Belgian, English, etc) of either Science Fiction or Fantasy? There is plenty I planned on reading. The Works of Moebius, Valerian and Laureline, Nikopol Trilogy, Lone Sloane, Rork (couldn’t find any English translations at the moment), plenty from 2000 AD, etc. Take your time if need be.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't read it already (because it's huge), I recommend the Thorgal series by Jean Van Hamme & Grzegorz Rosiński. It's a heroic fantasy BD (bande dessinée) comic with SF elements. I also recommend Chninkel by the same authors – it's a single story, not a series, and very different in style and tone.

I also very strongly recommend Hugo series (also a bande dessinée comic) by Bédu. It's more for children, but it's utterly charming and full of imagination. I'm not sure if it has been translated into English though.

Those are all older ones. I'm reading Vasco series by Gilles Chaillet now, but it's historical, so... not what you are looking for, but maybe worth mentioning.

:troll

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, right up my alley, this is.

Yoko Tsuno by Roger Leloup is one of my favorites. Contemporary SF with some fantasy elements. (One of the last few issues had tech-dragons). Adore his ship-design. The series has been going strong for at least thirty years.

Thorgal is a Viking-age fantasy with (as Tocotin already mentioned) still some sci-fi touches. But it's a behemoth with at least three spin-of series. Gorgeous artwork but the many spin-offs and the high speed of new appearances has made me back off.

Wayland's Aria. Fantasy series following the adventures of a warrior woman.

I also very strongly recommend Hugo series (also a bande dessinée comic) by Bédu. It's more for children, but it's utterly charming and full of imagination. I'm not sure if it has been translated into English though.
Hugo was awesome. The Castle of the Gulls... oh wow. Made such an impression on me.

The artist 's just working on a new fantasy series in the same style but a little more for grown-up (or so he said in an interview): Sangdragon.