inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a series on History Vault called History's Greatest Escapes narrated by Morgan Freeman. 8 episodes, at least six of them were prison breaks.

Reactions: inksplatter

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly looking for inspiration. Currently in the middle of a horrid writer's block. Any time or setting will do, even space is fine. Thank you.

I have done some research and came across this awesome dude. http://www.historyoflaw.info/hugo-grotius-escape-from-prison.html

Along with this depressing tidbit. https://www.todayifoundout.com/inde...ht-ever-actually-rescue-a-damsel-in-distress/

(can we post outside links on AW. Not sure. If not, I'll remove links.)
As I understand it, it's okay to link to stuff as long as it's not stuff you're flogging or trying to drive traffic to your website.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
World War 2 POW escape stories such as "The Great Escape", "The Colditz Story", "The Latter Days at Colditz"

Ztwist

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King's Fairy Tale has a pretty elaborate breaking-out-of-castle section. A classic element that tends to crop up in these situations includes someone on the inside who smuggles something critical to the prisoner. Also the super-strong guards must have a weakness deduced from careful observation. Often the way out is already built into the castle like a sewage channel or underground waterway. Modern scenarios tend to involve laundry bins. I think a theme that repeats is that the prisoner watches the patterns and rules of the prison until they figure out how to manipulate the system against itself somehow. Have fun!

Speedyg

Registered
Reaction score
Old novel but ‘The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas includes a lengthy effort to break out of prison.

‘Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption’ is an enjoyable Stephen King story that inspired the (probably better known) film with an escape story sitting alongside the main themes.

Also ‘Papillon’, Henri Charriere is well worth a read, again an older novel (though not as old as the first one) it explores imprisonment, escape, French colonialism, collaboration etc. Original is French but published in English etc if you don’t read French and it also was adapted as a film a couple of times. Was suggested by the author it was autobiographical though it’s unlikely all of it is ‘true’ however it is well worked.

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
World War 2 POW escape stories such as "The Great Escape", "The Colditz Story", "The Latter Days at Colditz"
Thanks, will add to the tbr list.

One of my favourite series is Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows. It's a duology, and the first book (same name as the series) is a heist story.
One of my favorites as well. I adore Helvar!
Stephen King's Fairy Tale has a pretty elaborate breaking-out-of-castle section. A classic element that tends to crop up in these situations includes someone on the inside who smuggles something critical to the prisoner. Also the super-strong guards must have a weakness deduced from careful observation. Often the way out is already built into the castle like a sewage channel or underground waterway. Modern scenarios tend to involve laundry bins. I think a theme that repeats is that the prisoner watches the patterns and rules of the prison until they figure out how to manipulate the system against itself somehow. Have fun!
Yes! This was exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for.
Old novel but ‘The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas includes a lengthy effort to break out of prison.

‘Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption’ is an enjoyable Stephen King story that inspired the (probably better known) film with an escape story sitting alongside the main themes.

Also ‘Papillon’, Henri Charriere is well worth a read, again an older novel (though not as old as the first one) it explores imprisonment, escape, French colonialism, collaboration etc. Original is French but published in English etc if you don’t read French and it also was adapted as a film a couple of times. Was suggested by the author it was autobiographical though it’s unlikely all of it is ‘true’ however it is well worked.
Thanks for these. I'll check these out as well!

Reactions: SariBelleW

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will second The Count of Monte Cristo. It was a favorite of mine when I was an older teen. The old TV movie of it with Richard Chamberlain is pretty good as well (although it could have done without Tony Curtis).

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
I will second The Count of Monte Cristo. It was a favorite of mine when I was an older teen. The old TV movie of it with Richard Chamberlain is pretty good as well (although it could have done without Tony Curtis).
Cheers!

Reactions: alleycat