Reading, Writing, Editing, Critiquing, and sometimes Submitting

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that 1500 to 2000 words will get you feedback, but much longer often gets only the most general overview, no LBL.

I’m reading The Devil Takes You Home, a horror novel.
Working on a novella tentatively titled Ass Man.
Editing fourth book in a series,just tinkering and fact checking.
Hit my 2023 critique goal, so nothing active. Now I’m only doing what interests me.
Submitting? Nope.

Reactions: lorna_w

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am still actively reading Bob the Wizard on Kindle after watching M.V. Prindle after watching his interview on YouTube.
  • I am listening to The Justice of Kings by Richard Swan.
  • I am writing - The Seed of Temere: Book One of Ghent of Temere (up to 270K) and a short story called A Found Heart.
  • I am editing/revising - will be working on Found Heart next week.
  • I am submitting - I will be submitting Found Heart to WotF end of quarter.
  • I am self-publishing - considering assembling my SF and Fantasy works into two volumes. I've got a metric ton of them.

Reactions: lorna_w

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5. Once I have access I have one story I want to drop right away to get feedback. My very first story that I wrote at about 30K, but broken into more manageable chapters of about 5 - 6K a piece.
If the opening to your story doesn't contain 'naughty' stuff, you are free to ask for critique in the First Three Sentences (short story or novel) and First 200 Words threads (mystery/thriller or fantasy/SF) even before you get to 50 posts.

Reactions: alexp336

E.V.Hayes

You can't take the sky from me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
  1. What are you reading? Italian grammar, and a mystery I've read before to put me to sleep at night as audio book.
  2. What are you writing? Steamy contemporary romance. And a very few words in my journal.
  3. What are you editing? Nuttin'
  4. What are you critiquing? Only what moves me. I feel zero obligation to do this randomly any more (tho I owe Unimportant one!)
  5. What will you submit for publication next? I have one more poetry submission window to hit in November, and one in January. That's it unless a batch comes back, and I'll hunt for a new place to send. Not erotic in the least.

Reactions: Maryn and InkFinger

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know how long ago you requested it? I’m open to giving Mac a little nudge at two weeks.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am still reading The Daughter of the Beast by E.C. Greaves.
  • I am listening to Gunmetal Gods by Zamile Akhtar.
  • I am writing - The Seed of Temere: Book One of Ghent of Temere (up to 270K) and a short story called Blackened.
  • I am editing/revising - The Found Heart short story I wrote last week.
  • I am submitting - I will be submitting Found Heart to WotF end of quarter.
  • I am self-publishing - considering assembling my SF and Fantasy works into two volumes.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Reading/listening: about to dig into a book by someone name Catriona, coincidentally enough
Writing: just in my journal
Critiquing: a little bit here this week, while I have the time (if you have a link to something I haven't seen/commented on, let me know)
Submitting: got my second pile of poems off to the second lit journal...a whole day ahead of the deadline! :rolleyes

Reactions: Maryn and InkFinger

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am still reading The Hero Interviews by Andi Ewington and The Blood Stones by Tori Tecken
  • I am listening to The Wickwire Watch by Jaquelyn Hagen
  • I am writing - The Seed of Temere: Book One of Ghent of Temere (up to 270K) and a short story that's now at 30K novella called Blackened.
  • I am editing/revising - The Gentleman's Virture (17K) novelette about becoming a future corporate executive with androids
  • I am submitting - I will be submitting Found Heart to WotF end of quarter. And I'm considering spinning something up for an open call for a story about a duel.
  • I am self-publishing - considering assembling my SF and Fantasy works into two volumes.
And may I say, I love it when you all play along. Thank you, @lorna_w @Catriona Grace please send me your book title so I can get the most expensive copy for my shelf.

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
What are you reading? I’m reading Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey because I can’t watch The Expanse. It’s good, but I really don’t need to know so much about how gravity affects men’s testicles. Also reading Democracy Awakening by Heather Cox Richardson.

What are you writing? Book 3

What are you editing? Nuthin’

What are you critiquing? Nuthin’, sorry.

What will you submit for publication next? Book 3 (Book 2 was accepted)

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
  • I'm just finished reading The Red Scholar’s Wake by Aliette de Bodard, which was fun sapphic sci-fi in an Vietnamese-flavored future.
  • I'm listening to whatever Spotify's algorithm decides to play based on the fact that my partner and I share an account and have very different tastes.
  • I'm kinda-sorta writing a weird (short?) story that so far is mainly dialog and I have no idea whether it'll end up romance, erotica, or something else (or just end up on the virtual shelf, unfinished; we shall see).
  • I'm editing/revising the second part of a particularly filthy short story series (about 10k words apiece) and wondering how many readers will be furious since I gave the first one away for free but am considering charging something nominal (like a couple of bucks) for this second part.
  • I'm submitting nothing, since I'm waiting on about 9 or 10 agents to respond, and might end up massaging/overhauling my query and first few chapters depending on whether that's a hit or a miss.

Reactions: Maryn and lorna_w

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
  • I'm editing/revising the second part of a particularly filthy short story series (about 10k words apiece) and wondering how many readers will be furious since I gave the first one away for free but am considering charging something nominal (like a couple of bucks) for this second part.
It's standard practice, and most people know that, so... 1% will be irked/clueless, or something like that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: alexp336

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
  1. What are you reading? The Cottage on Lighthouse Lane by Davis Bunn
  2. What are you writing? historical novel of the old southwestern frontier, 1813-1850
  3. What are you editing? waiting for letter of edit from editor for accepted novel in preparation for Ink to buy the most expensive available copy. (You're a honey!)
  4. What are you critiquing? nada. My beta reading days are over, though I will make exceptions for those who were kind enough to beta read for me.
  5. and, sometimes, What will you submit for publication next? Probably the next issue of The HOWL, a wildlife newsletter I've written for nine years. It's free (museum supported). If you want a copy, pm me and we'll add you to the list. (Can I mention that here without being reprimanded?)