Quoth the author: nevermore? Another plagiarism scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
The technology of today makes it 'easier' to plagiarize.

That same technology makes it also easier to be found out and caught.

As for plagiarism in the schools, many teachers require students to do writing projects in class, written on paper, or in the school writing or computer lab, with the teacher watching over the student's shoulder. There also exist programs to 'spot' plagiarized works. I taught on a team and most team writing projects were done under teacher supervision in the classroom. (Bugged the parents no end, especially those who liked to 'help' their kids with projects.)

I found a plagiarizer during one of my last years teaching - a student turned in a poem that was very similar to one I'd recently read online. I did a search of the first few lines and found it. The mother, however, was horrified and upset - with me. (Mind you, I'm the science teacher, not the English teacher and I still found it.) She told me the girl only 'borrowed' a few lines, then 'changed the order of the words' in the rest. (The mother was also a teacher.)

Many 'well-educated' adults have no idea what plagiarism really is.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I found a plagiarizer during one of my last years teaching - a student turned in a poem that was very similar to one I'd recently read online. I did a search of the first few lines and found it. The mother, however, was horrified and upset - with me. (Mind you, I'm the science teacher, not the English teacher and I still found it.) She told me the girl only 'borrowed' a few lines, then 'changed the order of the words' in the rest. (The mother was also a teacher.)

Many 'well-educated' adults have no idea what plagiarism really is.

Heh, on the flip-side, I remember writing a poem at school, then translating it into French. When the teacher marked it, she refused to believe I had written it, and accused me of plagiarism.

Nice teacher. :Shrug:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Heh, on the flip-side, I remember writing a poem at school, then translating it into French. When the teacher marked it, she refused to believe I had written it, and accused me of plagiarism.

Nice teacher. :Shrug:

Hah -- that happened to me too, except in my case, it was a short story.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Oh whoops, I missed that.

But wait -- what is the movie people are referring to?

That's yet another case! (It must be open season.) There's a book in the m/m romance genre called Bear, Otter and the Kid that is allegedly a rip off of the movie called Shelter Chaos Titan linked to. That one's being discussed on Goodreads and on the blog of Teddypig, a reviewer and general commentator on the m/m romance genre, in a post about Dreamspinner Press's reputation. (Dreamspinner is the publisher of Bear, Otter and the Kid.)

I wonder if the Romance genre is more prone to this, since there are just so many books there's a good chance of staying undetected for a while. How many undetected plagiarists are there out there? Are the ones who've been caught only the tip of the iceberg?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some of the vitriol that's being bandied about over TJK's book. I am so sick and tired of the m/m genre lurching from crisis to crisis.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I wonder if the Romance genre is more prone to this, since there are just so many books there's a good chance of staying undetected for a while. How many undetected plagiarists are there out there? Are the ones who've been caught only the tip of the iceberg?

My personal theory is that the romance genre is more prone to this because writers know that it is a market that will never die. There is always money to be made some where in romance. I have meet a few writers who loath the romance genre who admit to have written romance novellas before solely for monitary gain.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Well, all things considered, the argument is that it IS being back in fandom again, no? Just with the serial numbers filed off?

I don't think of this particular one that way. I know of a few books that started life as fanfics and were adapted. That's a whole different thing than lifting the premise, the plot and chracters of a movie.

At least in a fanfic (and I used to be a ficcer myself) the writer comes up with their own plot and some character development - since just because they start with already created characters doesn't mean the characters don't change and grow in a story. A rip off doesn't do any of that. To me that's a very different thing for either a fanfic or a fanfic with the serial numbers filed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.