Questions and more questions....

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another one for you!

I was speaking w/ my dad today; he said someone might want to pitch the idea of selling the books at WalMart. (He's a WalMart employee.) Of course, it would have to start at the corporate level. Here's the website regarding their support of charities:

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wmstore/goodworks/scripts/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddfdldmdjhcfkfcfkjdgoodglh.0

Is approaching them regarding them stocking the book a feasible idea?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Only FYI, not me per se (I'm a budget conscious Mom with a Wal Mart 8 mins away), but...some folks have a really serious aversion to Wal Mart. Not sure that that's reason enough to not approach them, and I know they're always trying to improve their image with the naysayers, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Sorry.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Believe me, Jill--I have some personal misgivings about Walmart, too. But I also know that they sell a lot of books and like to promote their company as being altruistic.

(So, what's wrong w/ a deal with the devil? Bwa-ha-ha-ha!)

MarkPettus

Writer and Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markpettus.com
Yeah, Jill. What's wrong with making a deal with the devil?

Look, I didn't go to the crossroads with the intention of striking a deal, I just wanted to catch a bus, but then, there he was, and he said if I signed with him, he could sell my book and get me a seven figure advance, and I was thinking, so, Agent Snark isn't a woman, who knew?

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
Lol, let WalMart shelve the book. I've a sweet little story in SoS, but I else write stuff that contains kinky gay sex* - so not WalMart material. They don't know whom they've got there. *mwuhahaha*

*Not all my books ;) but Endangered Frontiers has indeed some, and The Charioteer a male rape scene. Don't blame me, blame my characters. :D

KimJo

Outside the box, with the bunnehz
Registered
Reaction score
Is it best to make phone or in-person contact with local media before sending them the press release, or is it okay to just send the release?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Walmart would be a fabulous chain to stock this. They do sell a lot of books. And there's even a nice mention of them in the book-- they donated supplies to a relief effort one of our writers organized. I'm a little swamped, but will definitely make contact. Thanks for the idea!

littleblackdog

Registered
Reaction score
How to answer questions about who proceeds will benefit?

Could someone explain how money will be given to the nonprofits? Before I begin doing an PR I want to be sure to be able to answer any questions about this.

I know the release says "100 percent of the proceeds to go to disaster relief charities, including the Red Cross, Americares, and the Salvation Army" but how exactly does this happen? Will percentages be given to each or will we start with one and move on to the others?

I know details are hard to come by, but I used to do PR for a large national non-profit and the question everybody wants to know is very specifically "where does the money go?" Very often they want to know details such as if I buy the book here, will the money stay local, etc. Often if the answer isn't clear, someone won't want to give their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book