• U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Query Letter Inquiry

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Reikigirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello...I have written a second novel which I consider to be a stand alone to my first book, which was published by a small press a few years back. Should I mention that my novel is a stand alone when querying an agent or should I not mention this at all?

Thanks so much for your help on this:)

Last edited:

TheKingsWit

Registered
Reaction score
Stand alone in query-talk just means it can be read and feel complete on its own without reading any other books.This is the default assumption, and doesn’t need to be stated in most cases.

Exceptions are phrases like ‘stand alone with series potential’ or ‘stand alone companion novel’. That would show that it is connected to your other books, or that you have a plan for building it into a series, but that it is still something that can be read and enjoyed on its own if you don’t manage to land a series deal, making it safer bet than ‘the first in a series’.

Reactions: Maryn

Reikigirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Maryn for your input on this. It's so appreciated. What I should have mentioned is that I am struggling to determine whether or not my second book qualifies as a sequel or a standalone novel and I have come to the conclusion, based on my online research, that it is a standalone sequel. The fact that it contains elements from the first book puts it under the heading of a sequel in which case I probably shouldn't pitch my story to an agent as no publisher will touch a sequel based on a book published by another company. So, that is my dilemma. I really want to try and get an agent but I may have to hold off on that until I write my third novel, if I have the stamina to do it. Thanks again for the feedback! Again, so appreciated.

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you not query it as a standalone novel with series potential, and mention that the prequel was published by a small press?

Reactions: TheKingsWit

Reikigirl

Registered
Reaction score
What a good idea TheKingsWit! I never thought to do that. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks so much for your input! Now I just have to complete the query letter. What a mind-grueling task.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away