Pyr Opens to Un-Agented Submissions

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to know some people have heard of them. Because theirs a lot of crap out there that none of us really want to be involved with that does seem legit. This one sounds interesting though. Have to see if any of my stuff qualifies.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Why? There are quite a few good publishers who take unsolicited queries.
What strikes me as unusual is that they're going against the trend (the one I'm seeing, anyway, though I've only been observing for a few years)that publishers are looking at agented submissions rather than the slush pile. Also, it's odd that they're accepting sword & sorcery when conventional wisdom says that subgenre's losing ground. As Paul says, "Santa does exist!" but on the other hand, it feels almost too good to be true. Speaking here as a dispirited, unagented sword & sorcery writer (not that I acutally have a novel to send around yet, though).

erazmus

Registered
Reaction score
I think S&S has been losing ground mostly on the short fiction side, there never has been a real shrinkage of its shelf-space in the book stand. Of course its not always called S&S, usually just fantasy.
Pyr has had some recent success with the genre and is probably looking to build on that quickly. Hence the (limited) open subs.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my query, synopsis and 108,000 FWIP this morning.

Their web site did not indicate how long this process would take, but there is a warning that due to the sheer volumne they are expecting, you may not even get a rejection email. Or something like that. Well, they are honest about it since they are opening the flood gates.

Even if rejected, I still have several other submissions/full reads being considered. The way I figure it, I really had nothing to lose.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to know some people have heard of them. Because theirs a lot of crap out there that none of us really want to be involved with that does seem legit. This one sounds interesting though. Have to see if any of my stuff qualifies.

James-

It's pretty easy to check a publisher's legitimacy for yourself. Start here:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/
http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/

and, of course-
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

erazmus

Registered
Reaction score
Me too, five days.
Wow, five days, that actually seems . . .abrupt.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
This is great news, thanks for sharing. Nothing I have is that long, but it is still good to know. And they do have some great authors with them now.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeppers, got my rejection this morning, a week after submitting. Basic form letter thanking for my submission but it does not meet their needs at this time.

Another one down...

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
My guess would be the synopsis is the pitch. Which makes me wonder why anyone would ask for a pitch, when they could just have a short synopsis...

Capital

Doomthayer
Registered
Reaction score
Snow. Bears. Every other day I see another human.
A three paragraph synopsis is the pitch...

Call me stupid, but I'm still confused.
Synopsis is the shortened plot of the story you are pitching. It includes the ending. Normal agent queries usually don't. It is not uncommon to see requests of "1 page synopsis" or "max 3 page synopsis". Which usually come after a successful pitch or along with a query. In this case, to me it looks like they are asking for just synopsis. Or including a normal "pitch" query along with the synopsis is pretty much a given?

Or maybe I'm just confusing the terminology here.

Synopsis, to me is this:
"A loves B. But B is bad. B kills A, but then C kills B. The end."

Pitch, as part of agent query, is this:
"A meets and falls in love with B. What she doesn't know is that B secretly plans to murder her. And C, the one A despises, may be her only saviour."

:Shrug:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, I'd imagine they just don't care about the pitch. They're a legitimate publisher, and I feel comfortable assuming they know what a synopsis is.

Also consider that they want the full manuscript at the start. A pitch gets someone to look at a partial or full, so why bother when they already have the full?

Don't overthink it.

Capital

Doomthayer
Registered
Reaction score
Snow. Bears. Every other day I see another human.
Well, I'd imagine they just don't care about the pitch. They're a legitimate publisher, and I feel comfortable assuming they know what a synopsis is.

Also consider that they want the full manuscript at the start. A pitch gets someone to look at a partial or full, so why bother when they already have the full?

Don't overthink it.

Fair enough, thanks!

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing the info on this lead! :Hug2: I sent my sub in. Got my fingers (and toes) crossed!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Is it cheating if I use the 250 word per page method over the word processor's word count? Then I have 106,000 words. :)

Not IMO. Just state what counting method you used. Word count is really a way to express how many pages will be used if they print the book, right?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Pyr's comments on their announcement are valuable

I saw this link via Twitter and thought it would be of interest to the folks here.

http://pyrsf.blogspot.com/2010/02/opening-floodgates-pyr-now-accepting.html

From their post:

I read through some of the comments from this post on Pyr's blog and Lou Anders answers some of the questions asked in this thread. The word count does not appear to be an unbendable rule (he says split the difference between a 70K UF and their 100K requirement), and it looks like they will accept YA epic fantasy submissions.

Also, don't expect much more of a response than "doesn't fit at this time" in the rejections. As with most agents/editors, they simply don't have the time...so start your novels off with a bang and get 'em hooked!

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Spent three days polishing my 'three paragraph synopsis', and sent in my submission this morning.
Expecting a form rejection within the week.
But I won't loose heart, it only takes one 'yes', right?
Oh, and a big thank you to the OP for finding this lead.

GOTHOS

Registered
Reaction score
My form reject came in about 2 weeks, so they're still answering at present.

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Good to know. Its been nine days for me, I don't expect my rejection until early next week. I would like at least a form rejection, so I can move on and submit elsewhere.
Query letter polished, synopsis close to ready, manuscript polished to a luster. Next round of queries will go out in two weeks, so Im not holding my breath waiting for PYR to fall in love with my manuscript.