• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Purple Sword Publications

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
No, really, I'm serious.

http://purplesword.com/

Yet Another Romance Epub.

None of the staff seem to have any substantial publishing experience (at least from that side of the desk) and the contact emails are all at yahoo or gmail.

Not open to submissions, apparently they are by invite only, but the company name... I just had to start the thread (you're jealous, I know).

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Purple Throbbing Sword Publications has a nicer ring to it, but I'm sure that name was already taken.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I think the name is supposed to be a penis joke because purple sword means cock.

I like how she's stroking the big cock behind her.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
omg no! *gasp* that can't be what they mean!

surely they are more subtle than that!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If I could, I'd change this thread title to Purple Swallow Publications just to see the spike in views.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
From the Purple Sword Website: (BOLDING MINE)
Purple Sword Publications, LLC is a small, quiet, royalty paying publisher of genre specific fiction.

Not sure I like the idea of a quiet publisher.

From the Purple Sword Website:
Jennifer Barker has always loved words. She studied Spanish and English in college and dreamed of either becoming a teacher or a book editor. A ten-year detour into the world of insurance derailed the teaching plans, but she spent those years honing her editing skills on insurance letters and litigation documents and in early 2010 was able to leave the corporate world to live the dream of being a full-time editor of fiction and romance. It just doesn't get any better than that.

No editing experience at a commercial publisher.

D. Thomas Jerlo is an author of fantasy, who has also worked for many e-publishers as an editor and cover artist. Resigning from the legal field several years ago, D. Thomas now concentrates full time on a writing career.

No details on who those e-publishers were - no obvious commercial publisher editing experience. Appears that they have never been a full-time editor.

Traci Markou has been an editor since 2007 with several small publishers and ventured into that line of work quite by accident. Her experience working with new and seasoned authors has given her a unique perspective on the changes in the publishing industry. She believes in small presses and the creative freedom of expression they can allow their authors. In addition to running Purple Sword, she continues to edit for two publishers, helps run the family business, and supports her childrens' PTA. She has an Associate's degree from Pima Community College and many years of experience in the financial industry.

No details on who those small publishers were - no obvious commercial publisher editing experience. Appears that they have never been a full-time editor.

Brieanna Robertson is an author as well as an experienced editor. She edits for three small presses and has done so for years.

No details on who those small publishers were - no obvious commercial publisher editing experience. Appears that they have never been a full-time editor. It's also worth noting that Brieanna also has a book published through Purple Sword.

Book review sites that Purple Sword submits its work to without any offer of compensation are listed here. Submission to any of these sites does not guarantee a review. Our review coordinator is Diana Castilleja and she can be reached for inquiries about reviews at PurpleSwordReviews (at) gmail.com.

Bitten By Books, CK2sKwips and Kritiques, Coffee Time Romance, Enchanting Reviews, Fallen Angel, Fiction Vixen, Joyfully Reviewed, Howling Good Books, Just Erotic Romance Reviews, LASR/WC, Literary Nymphs, Mind Fog, Night Owl Reviews, Paranormal Romance, Sensual Reads, Single Titles, Siren Book Reviews, Romance Junkies, The Romance Studio, Two Lips Reviews, Veiled Secrets Reviews, Happily Ever After Reviews.

Regular romance readers would be able to comment on these sites. Seems to me like a good spread and I've heard of a couple of them.

We are not accepting submissions at this time. We are a by invitation only publisher and not open to submissions from outside our contracted author pool.

Interesting. I'd like to know who they invite to submit and what the criteria is. It does suggest that they're looking to restrict their output though, which is positive.

All in all, they seem well intentioned and there are no obvious red flags but as always, it's probably worth while giving it a year to see how they're doing (assuming they're open to submissions then).

MM

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
According to the contest page, they've been around since April 2009.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the cover artists are authors and the review coordinator is an author (two actually, she writes under two names there). It kinda looks to me like the only people they "invite" to submit are staff.

And every publisher and independent author uses those romance review sites. Nothing new or interesting there.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend once who used the phrase, "Purple-helmeted, one-eyed warrior of love."

Perhaps one of those might carry a purple sword?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
jennontheisland:
If you look closely, you'll notice that the cover artists are authors and the review coordinator is an author (two actually, she writes under two names there). It kinda looks to me like the only people they "invite" to submit are staff.

Ah - hadn't picked up on that. That's not great then.

jennontheisland:
And every publisher and independent author uses those romance review sites. Nothing new or interesting there.

Noted - it's not a bad sign though that they're using established avenues.

On the plus side, I'm about the only poster here who's managed to avoid making a knob joke. I iz mature.

:nods:

MM