Pulp, Cthulhu, Noir & Adventure Calls - Argosy Magazine - Short Stories [***]

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Please send all submissions and queries to [email protected].

Successful submissions will earn royalty payments once the collections go on sale.

Authors retain all rights to works submitted to Argosy, granting Argosy licence only to distribute the works in ebook format worldwide.

Pulp Fiction

Working Title: Pulp!

We are always looking for tales of high action, adventure, horror, mystery, fantasy and science fiction inspired by the classic pulps of the early to mid 20th century for our general pulp volumes. Works should be of a high quality, well-paced and dripping with pulp energy.

Cthulhu Mythos Anthology

Working Title: Circle of Lovecraft

A Cthulhu Mythos inspired anthology of cosmic horror, unspeakable cult, forbidden knowledge and ancient evil inspired by the likes of H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, and Robert E. Howard. Works of this genre should be thematically linked to the works of Lovecraft’s acknowledged contemporaries. An emphasis on the style and works of Lovecraft specifically is not essential.

Detective, Mystery, Hardboiled and Noir Anthology

Working Title: Startling Mystery Stories

For this anthology we are accepting pulp-style works of crime and investigation, vigilante justice or police action. We will be accepting straight detective tales as well as ones that have elements of the weird or that are set in sci-fi, dystopian or fantasy worlds.

Colonial Era Adventure Anthology

Working Title: Shadows of Empire

We would like to build a collection of adventure stories set in the 15th to 19th century. Stories may include magical or science fiction elements but must fit within the aesthetic of the age of imperialism and colonisation, which may include up to the end of World War One. Pure adventure fiction with no weird elements will also be accepted. Pulp fiction style stories are preferred.

Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy Anthology

Working Title: Slipstream

Science fiction is an important medium through which society is questioned and through which public knowledge is advanced, whether this means challenging our technological boundaries or our social ones. Stories submitted to this anthology should include strongly characterised female, trans or queer characters in science fiction settings. Readability and entertainment value are preferred over political preaching and angst.

Romance and Erotica Collection

Working Title: Spicy Stories

We want at least a few stories that show erotic intimacy as being an integral part of a healthy romantic relationship, but tales of pure romance or pure erotica will not be rejected on those grounds and will be tried on their own merits.

Other

We are also looking for high quality works in various genres for future collections. Submissions and suggestions from all genres will be considered. Currently genres under consideration for future collections are cyberpunk and cyberpunk derivatives (steam, diesel, atom etc.) and urban fantasy. We also need cover artists and illustrators.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Are you accepting previously published work?

jkenton

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any more info on this? Can't find a webpage or any other discussion regarding it.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
I see on your site the call for entries from July. I assume you have gotten some submissions. Could you give a indication of projected release dates and size of volumes (how many entries per edition etc.)?

Where, how will it be sold?

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Oakbark,

Currently I have accepted 7 works: 3 for Firefly Legacy, 2 for Slipstream and 2 on the backburner which are good, but don't fit into any of the above collections. I'm hoping to publish mid-November, which means I'll be merging Firefly Legacy and Slipstream to make that happen. I could do with a few more good-quality submissions, therefore. I could do with some longer works, too. I won't publish with less than 12 works in the collection, or maybe 10 if I get some over the 10,000-word mark.

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Filigree,

I'm yet to make many plans for the erotic collection as I've received only one query for it. I'd like to see works with elements of the weird or mixed with other genres preferably.

That's all I can really say right now about it. Let me know if you have any ideas you want to pass by me.

dakota.potts

Registered
Reaction score
Will you be open for submissions in or after December? I've got some stuff I'm finishing up before NaNo and then I want to give my full attention for that, so if you're looking for submissions for late December or later, that would be really awesome.

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Dakota.potts,

Starting December, I'll be working on a collection with the theme Shadows of Empire. The likely theme for the second half of that collection is urban fantasy, as I have two of that genre on the backburner. Alternatively we may come up with something else to go with it, and bundle urban fantasy together with romance as those two easily overlap. If you wanted to submit something for the western and feminist speculative fiction collection billed for November, those are definitely themes we'll be revising. Please email me with or for further details.

Bladestalker,

Thanks. I'll email you when I've had the time to read it.

Last edited:

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
We're now taking submissions for volumes 2 and 4, which are open as general pulp calls--that is to say any genre. The Slipstream, our feminist speculative fiction collection, is in need of more submissions. Shadows of Empire is filling up nicely but still has room for more.

We also now have a Facebook page and a Twitter:
http://www.facebook.com/argosymagazine
https://twitter.com/ArgosyMagazine

Last edited:

bladestalker

Registered
Reaction score
My story has been accepted for Vol 1: Fantastic Frontiers.

As an aside the editor was an absolute joy to work with.

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Cthulhu has no set date. Pulp! is set for end of January and Shadows of Empire mid-March.

MRevelle83

Complication
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rpgmmag.com
Thank you.

I seen the Cthulhu anthology is stated that it needs to be thematically linked. To clarify, does the story have to be set in the Mythos, or can it be an original story/mythology in that kind of genre?

If the latter is true, I believe my submission can still considered for Pulp, so I thought it would be best to ask asap.

Dantai

Registered
Reaction score
Both are acceptable; a piece that alludes to the Cthulhu mythos and a piece that fits the theme but stands on its own will both be accepted. It's about balancing originality and homage, really. Think of it as a prompt. What's important is that it's pulp.

Last edited:

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving