• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publishers Specializing in Horror

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Toni, if your manuscript is well written, it won't matter if you're a novice or a long-time pro. (My advice is to be as suspicious of publishers advertising for novice authors as you would be of used-car dealerships that advertise, "No credit? No income? No problem!") Reputable publishers are always looking for new voices.

Research the publishers you find in the horror section of bookstores and submit to the ones suitable for your book. You'll already know they've got marketing and distribution. Good luck!

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking which publishers have open submission policies? I believe Baen, Tor, and Harper Collins do, but you'll want to check that. Do your research. Start with LMP. You can also check the websites of publishers that handle genre and see whether they list their submission guidelines.

The horror market collapsed in the late 1980s and is still recovering. If you can present your book as having overlap with another category -- SF/horror, technothriller/horror, mystery/horror, whatever -- you may have an easier time of it than you will if you present it as straight horror.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
yes, which ones have open submission.

I know Kensington does. I thought Tor and Baen were strictly sci-fi/fantasy. Do they do horror as well.

I know the market went soft, and it's a shame, becasue it's my favorite genre. I still remember someone telling me there would not be a horror market at all if not for Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I'm presenting this as more of a thriller with supernatural overtones.

also, i hate to show my ignorance, but what is LMP?

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
HapiSofi said:
Are you asking which publishers have open submission policies? I believe Baen, Tor, and Harper Collins do, but you'll want to check that.

Harper Collins doesn't make it easy to find this information, but here's what their FAQ says:

Unfortunately, with the exception of Avon romance, HarperCollins does not accept unsolicited submissions or query letters.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
LMP is Literary Market Place.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving