• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

[Publisher] Pan Macmillan / Macmillan New Writing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

roger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rogersplog.blogspot.com
Hi there, just thought I'd resurrect this thread with an interesting footnote... a Macmillan New Writing Author made it on to the short list of the Orange new writer's award (worth £10,000), and the same book is also on the main Orange prize long list (worth £30,000). The book is the Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber. Here's an article about her http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/08/new-writer-award-orange-prize-for-fiction

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Just asking if anyone has recently published with these guys? How their sales did etc...?

Ryan David Jahn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ryandavidjahn.com
I don't know if you still care a month later, but since I'm here I might as well answer.

My first novel was published by MNW last November. Sales have been good, and now that it's out in paperback it seems to really be moving. Before the first novel came out I wrote a second, which resulted in a further two-book deal with Macmillan (not MNW). The second contract was much better, and all clauses fully negotiable.

I will say the standard MNW contract, which is not negotiable, is not ideal. But their books look great, are stocked as you would expect books from a major imprint to be stocked ... and sell like first novels sell, which is to say unpredictably. The ones that manage to gather momentum, for whatever reason, move while the ones that don't, don't.

But their in-house publicists work their asses off (I was reviewed everywhere, wrote several short pieces for magazines and newspapers, did interviews), their rights guys work equally as hard (sold US rights to Penguin, and so far have also sold German, French, Spanish and Dutch rights ... and maybe one or two more), and their editor knows what he's doing.

The real question is, can you swallow that first contract. For me, it was worth it. My second book came out in July, my third is being copyedited as I type this, and I haven't had to do anything for money this year but write.

I will say, though, that a few lucky breaks contributed to this.

In any case, no matter what you decide, best of luck in placing your work!

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Ryan David Jahn:
But their in-house publicists work their asses off (I was reviewed everywhere, wrote several short pieces for magazines and newspapers, did interviews)

Just wanted to chip in on this as I know for a fact that Ryan's Acts of Violence was reviewed in The Times and The Sunday Times when it came out in the UK.

The publicists also arranged with AmazonUK for Acts of Violence and Low Life to be added to Amazon's Vine Programme (in which free copies were made available to regular Amazon purchasers/reviewers for review), which is how I got hold of my copies of both books (second one is next up on my to read pile).

I'm on the record as not liking non-negotiable contracts, but MNW does seem to do a lot for the authors if you can stomach it.

MM

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
MNW quote a 12 week turnaround time, and 'no reply' means...no. Fair enough. Anyone got any idea of the usual response times? I'm nearly at 10 weeks, so I can't work out if that's good, bad, or utterly meaningless. I suspect the latter.

Of course, Xmas and the holidays might extend it a little. Any ideas, folks?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If it's relevant to anyone, I submitted to them in June of last year. No reply yet which I'm guessing means not interested.

Matt

Registered
Reaction score
As someone in the know (kinda...)

MNW is under-going a transformation at the moment. The imprint's editor has left Macmillan Publishers and are aware that there hasn't been an MNW release in over a year.

As someone still loosely connected to the imprint, I've been told it may re-launch, but it's likely to have an emphasis on e-books rather than physical books.

My past experience with MNW and Macmillan has been fantastic, though not so much with their pricing strategy for their e-releases. If they go down the e-publishing-only route, I hope they get their pricing and royalties sorted out first, otherwise there may be little benefit in signing up with them.

They've promised an announcement soon on the website, so I guess it's "watch this space."

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They've released a spate of early books onto Kindle in October, but I'm not finding any other update or activity.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away