• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Darkhouse Books

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences with these folks?
http://darkhousebooks.com/

Their current open submission (they seem to do themed anthologies) says:

"Payment: Royalty
Fifty percent of the gross royalties per calendar quarter will be distributed equally among the contributors. Contributor copies will not be offered. A limited number of review copies will be available. ... We ask for the exclusive right to publish your story for one calendar year following contract signing, excluding publications of those previously published."

They seem "legit," as far as I can tell, I found a few interviews with the publisher, there's no sales pitch for editing or such on their site. Seems like maybe a husband and wife team, mostly (totally?) doing e-books. Boutique or whatnot.

I'm mostly just crassly curious about the money, as we all should be. I understand royalties depend on sales, and basic division, so I'm sure it's a tiny amount, but does it seem like a "standard" tiny amount for such projects? The story I sent them is a reprint, if they accept, so I'd be thrilled to get just about anything for it.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmph. Fifty percent of gross divided among contributors, and no author copies. Bet the chosen authors will be the main purchasers, so they'll essentially be paying each other (and the publisher) for their work. Most reputable anthology publishers pay a flat fee up front to their authors.

That, and the amateurish covers, would put me off submitting there.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Kitchen table operation from a small house in a small town. I looked the addy up on Google maps.

No info on the people running it, whether they have ANY publishing experience or how long this place has been running. The only submissions still open is for a Lovecraftian steampunk collection, all others closed.

The link to their Facebook page isn't working. Genius.

The lack of info on this site is a giant red flag. I do not say they are crooked, but perhaps inexperienced and simply not big enough to do any good for a writer. Most would be better off indie publishing and keeping ALL the royalties.

In any kind of publishing, start at the top with the biggest dog, biggest agents. By the time one works down to this place's level, one can have a proper book deal with real money in the bank.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving