• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Albert Whitman & Co.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Brite Rite

Registered
Reaction score
I searched, but couldn't find a thread on this children's publisher: Albert Whitman & Company. A well-respected children's book publisher with a long history. Does anybody have any recent news about them?

The reason I ask is because I have a manuscript sitting with them at the moment, but I'm hearing multiple reports that some of their authors haven't been paid since 2019! I'm seeing these reports from SCBWI members as well in a few blog posts.

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the site
of Absolute Write
new member Brite Rite

heh, poetry!

I don't have any experience with Albert Whitman personally, but it looks like things went off the rails about eighteen months ago. It would appear prudent to tread carefully with this publisher.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
After reading the very interesting link, my big take-away was "AW&C is committed to correcting any errors brought to their attention."
Meaning that unless you scream and shout, they'll do nothing, because, hey, it's working for them.

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After reading the very interesting link, my big take-away was "AW&C is committed to correcting any errors brought to their attention."
Meaning that unless you scream and shout, they'll do nothing, because, hey, it's working for them.
Agreed. And it's not just Publisher's Weekly; a lot of the big industry arenas picked up on that story in Nov 2020.

My quick Google search found those articles, but didn't find find stories about "It's all been fixed, everyone's happy now."

So -- if you are a big name author with a big name agent and can afford a big name lawyer, you'll probably fare okay. Though unless you're already contractually obligated to this publisher, you may want to look elsewhere just to be safe. If you are an unpublished, unagented author, it seems somewhere on the spectrum of possible to probable that you will get financially screwed.

Thanks for flagging this, Brite Rite!

We hope you'll stick around, start an introduction thread in the newbie section, and let us get to know you better.

Reactions: Maryn

Brite Rite

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. And it's not just Publisher's Weekly; a lot of the big industry arenas picked up on that story in Nov 2020.

My quick Google search found those articles, but didn't find find stories about "It's all been fixed, everyone's happy now."

So -- if you are a big name author with a big name agent and can afford a big name lawyer, you'll probably fare okay. Though unless you're already contractually obligated to this publisher, you may want to look elsewhere just to be safe. If you are an unpublished, unagented author, it seems somewhere on the spectrum of possible to probable that you will get financially screwed.

Thanks for flagging this, Brite Rite!

We hope you'll stick around, start an introduction thread in the newbie section, and let us get to know you better.

Thank you! I just haven't got around to setting up my account properly yet. It's looking a bit blank!

I had a minor freak-out when I started reading about (in children's writing circles) their established authors hiring lawyers. I'd always thought of them as a respectable publisher.

I think this is a company to be careful with for the moment...

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I speak frankly? If I had submitted something to this publisher and not heard back, knowing what I know now would cause me to officially withdraw it from their consideration.

I would not want the manuscript I worked so hard on to be poorly published, or for my royalties to be paid only because I hired a lawyer. If it's good enough for their consideration, it's good enough for better publishers to consider, too.

Maryn, kind of blunt

Reactions: Catriona Grace