• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Aethon Books

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
They requested my full back in October. At that time they said they were mostly interested in digital and audio distribution. I can't tell if that's still the case. They were recommended to me by a Pitchwars author/mentor who considered my manuscript. They were mostly interested to know if I had sequels planned, series potential etc. I didn't hear anything back, and I notified them of my agent representation in January. Sorry that's all I got!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least they're forthright about not getting your books into brick-and-mortar stores, and about not offering advances. Their covers are pretty good. Decent-looking, reader oriented website and pretty good covers, although I don't like the fact that there aren't any people listed in their "About Us" section, so no clue as to what kind of experience/education the staff brings to the table.

Their submission guidelines state that they're "committed to the publication of works by writers of all genders, ethnicities, color, orientation, nationalities, and religious or political beliefs." Their stable of fifteen authors consists of one white woman and 14 white males. I'm sure they're working to fix that.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I attached my 50 pages, though the author who recommended them said he notified the editor and they'd be waiting for it. He also said the editor is Rhett Bruno, who is as you see also one of the authors.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a pre-existing thread about this press here.

I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to merge the two.

Aethon Books

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! We noticed this thread and just wanted to weigh in. To answer some of the questions in here, we accept all Scifi & Fantasy. That means Young Adult, though our initial slate is definitely slanted more toward adult. As far as the 50 pages, nice catch. We would prefer an attachment actually, as it's much easier to read that way. A bit unusual I'm sure, but it helps us read quicker.

As has been said, we are mostly focused on selling in the E-Book and Audio Markets. Our books have print through ingram, paperback and hardcover, but as with most small presses anything but local Brick and Mortar stores is beyond our ability to distribute. But so far, we've been successful at selling every single one of our signed titles or series to a top audio publisher sublicensing deal, or secured a top narrator for the series on our own. Audio is a growing market and we have our foot securely in the door for our authors. Synchronizing releases between all formats is a huge part of our strategy, which has worked very successfully so far. We are a small operation, so are pretty picky at this point so we don't overwhelm ourselves, but we want to always remain open to submissions and try and answer them quickly.

To some our marketing strategies may seem unorthodox, but we're excited about pushing a ton of new and amazing titles out. It's also been commented that one of our editors, Rhett Bruno, is also one of our authors. The company was founded by him and Steve Beaulieu (Writes as Jaime Castle). We pride ourselves on trying to be as transparent and open to communication as we can with our authors. They are hybrid authors who have worked with many publishers, and currently nearly exclusively with Audible Studios, but for their independent stuff they go through Aethon Books. There are many reasons, taxes included. But among them is the believe that if they aren't willing to publish in the same way as our authors, with the same attention and methods, then why should any of our authors trust us. It's a put your money where your mouth is situation, but unorthodox is what we do! Our only goal is selling books for out authors.

As far as our current list of authors. We can only publish what is submitted to us! We don't care who writes anything so long as the story is graet. We'd love to receive quality submissions from anybody in the world. Hope that answers everything. Please feel free to comment or reach out privately with more questions. Our email is [email protected].

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Confusing...

Look at the site for Bruno's platform. I'd never heard of it. Doesn't mean much, except that its site is a giant ad for the anthologies... not a platform per se.

He is also one of the founders of the popular science fiction platform, Sci-Fi Bridge.

Goodreads shows perhaps 200 reviews of the first published antho, which came out January 2018.

Last edited:

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Not reassuring...

At least they're forthright about not getting your books into brick-and-mortar stores, and about not offering advances.

Except it's kind of sketchy that so little details are available.

... although I don't like the fact that there aren't any people listed in their "About Us" section, so no clue as to what kind of experience/education the staff brings to the table.

Agreed; I went through their author page instead. Just in case. If there's any editorial experience, those people are not listed.

Every person with info is a writer. One used to be a reporter, but that's not relevant to book publishing. I did notice writers who were engineers and programmers... makes me wonder if that shared experience was making them accept a publisher they'd otherwise check up on. :/

Making your own company for self-publishing isn't awful. It's not enough to run a small press.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Ahhh, I forgot the part that really caught my eye:

If your work has already been published we will not be interested.

If no reprints, okay, that makes sense. Poor wording?

It came across as more "If you have experience being published elsewhere, you aren't our market."

And in the spirit of helping them improve their site, the link ending the submissions page... should not link directly back to the subs page. It's supposed to link to the contact page.

hrgillespie

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on this publisher? Good or bad experiences? I have a full with them.