• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub Svcs] Writers Republic, LLC (aka Writers Desks, Writers Book Publishing House, et al.)

Leonard LeBlanc

Registered
Reaction score

May 09, 2022
WRITERS REPUBLIC (WR) has called me twice so far. They promised me my refund but gave me no time limit on doing so.

I asked them to give me all the audited sales reports, but they didn't say anything about doing so. They never denied they were in the Philippines. I asked them for a detailed breakout of where all my money went, and they didn't say anything.

April 07, 2022
In April 2021, I signed up with Writers Republic to print and market my book. I paid USD$3600 to start, an additional USD$4000 for a Hollywood Treatment, and USD$2400 for a National Radio Interview with Kate Delany.

They said they would put my book in the big book chains in the US and internationally, talk to Hollywood about a movie/TV deal and try to get a big book publisher to take over my book under their label and I would get 80% of the profits. They produced a few books, which went up on Amazon for sale. That was it. Come to find out, they are not even in the USA nor the Philippines.

It was all lies, a 100% scam, a bogus rip-off. I asked them for an accounting - nothing. I said when is the book going into the book stores I paid you to do - never went. Hollywood?

These people couldn't find it on a map. My national radio interview was at 11:00 PM in Tucson on Christmas Eve, which no one had heard. Profits?

Maybe I got 10% from Amazon, and the checks stopped after 90 days. 100% fake company.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you were taken by an unscrupulous vanity press.

With the understanding that I'm not challenging you or asking that you defend yourself, can you share how much and what kind of checking out this company that you did before you gave them any money? I don't ask this to embarrass or further enrage you, in case you didn't look into them, but to educate myself and other members about vetting businesses that target writers.

Thank you in advance.

Maryn, follower of Yog's Law: money flows toward the writer, not away

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Like Maryn, I too, would like to know what research you did beforehand. These are very big promises - ones no commercial publisher or agent would make.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you were treated so shabbily by an unscrupulous company.

It's an unfortunate reality of the publishing business that there are thousands of similar entities out there, ready to bilk eager writers. It's why doing your due diligence before signing with ANYONE - publisher, agent, editor, cover designer, etc. - is so important.

I fear your rights to your published work may be gone now, along with your money. See if there's a rights reversion clause in your contract. If not, you may be out of luck.

ChandraStorm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chandrastorm.com
You must be really mad (which is understandable). This is the second forum where I run accross this post today and where you created an account just to get this off your chest.

What kind of contract do you have with Writers Republic? Are they your publisher? Or just a print and marketing service? Like, do they have the rights to your book for a certain amount of time, or could you pull it and self-publish it, maybe even use the cover etc. they created for you? (Which you paid for, after all). That way you mgiht lose some reviews, but at least you could make sure that any earnings/royalties you make go to you directly.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Link: Writers Republic

They market themselves as a self-publishing service provider, providing structural editing (which seems to be their catchall phrase for line, content and developmental editing), proofreading, formatting, cover design, distribution, printing, promotion, and copyright registration. However, since they are listed as the publisher of record (rather than the author or the author's own imprint, as in true self publishing), they're clearly a vanity press.

The company was registered as "Writers Republic LLC" with the State of New Jersey in April 2019. Their offices are located at 515 Summit Avenue, Union City, NJ (which is an actual office building with their name out front). No staff is listed on their website, but their BBB listing names Zachary Hanson as Executive Director and Rizza Yap as COO. The BBB listing contains multiple complaints as well as responses from WR.

I note this disclaimer language on the WR website:

Kindly note that Writers Republic is unable to assure you any level of revenue or sales. Your compliance of publishing and marketing your work with writersrepublic.com would imply you accept the risk that sales statements and statistics can be guaranteed as their success depends on the marketing scheme used, tagged as well as the efforts exerted towards its success.

Promotion outcomes may differ, and still depend on your individual effort, game plan, capability, objective standards, and commercial experience. Writers Republic cannot assure any prosperous experience with the services and products we offer; given that each marketing’s success is based on a personal disposition, determination, background, strength, and efforts. Therefore, we will not be accountable for any failure of achievement for his/her work, may it be directly or indirectly involved with the purchase and utilization of our services and products.

I hate to say it, but that's pretty darned forthright.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Wow! I'm surprised, not by any of the claims or actions of Writer's Republic, but because I used to drive down that street all the time. A couple of things need to be said here. First of all, the guy who started the thread is in Thailand and may need some hours to respond for no other reason than time zone. And second, we need to encourage him to join this group and share his goals. I for one want to know what drew him to Writer's Republic in the first place, what sort of thing he writes, and what other things he's tried.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I'm surprised, not by any of the claims or actions of Writer's Republic, but because I used to drive down that street all the time. A couple of things need to be said here. First of all, the guy who started the thread is in Thailand and may need some hours to respond for no other reason than time zone. And second, we need to encourage him to join this group and share his goals. I for one want to know what drew him to Writer's Republic in the first place, what sort of thing he writes, and what other things he's tried.
The OP's bio is readily available if you'll click on his Amazon product page here.

Reactions: byarvin

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Leonard, this is going to be hard to hear, but 1: they probably already did everything they "promised" you to do and 2: I'm pretty sure the content of your book is part of the reason you're seeing so few sales.

They said they would put my book in the big book chains in the US and internationally,

[Here it is on Barnes and Noble], and [Walmart], and [Books-A-Million], not to mention Powell's, Valore, Blackwell, Biblio and Book Depository. And all the marketplace sites, like Amazon, Alibris, Abe, and eBay. So they did what they said they would do.

What I IMAGINE you think they would do, though, is have it be so that you can walk into your neighborhood Barnes and Noble and see it on the shelves. Did they explicitly say they would do that, in writing?

The pipeline is not always publisher ==> book store ==> customer, with lots of books sitting in boxes in the back. A lot of titles you see available online do not physically exist until an order is placed, so a printing press prints 1 copy and then mails it to the customer. It costs money and resources to make physical books and ship them around. A company like BN and Walmart and Amazon gets to have, literally, tens of millions of titles available to purchase and 0 risk of unsold stock when they use this print-on-demand model. The fact that they list "Ingram" as a "bookstore" implies as much.

Also, your BN listing doesn't have an image, which is not helping to convince people to buy your book. Nor is the $28.99 MSRP.

talk to Hollywood about a movie/TV deal

I can DM my friend on Twitter who is an actress/production assistant and talk about how funny it would be for one of my fanfics to be made into a The CW show, and that would count as talking to "Hollywood" about a TV deal. Because Hollywood isn't a specific company, it is an industry, with people in it at all levels, the vast majority of whom have no influence as to what deals are made.

and try to get a big book publisher to take over my book under their label

And they are going to say no. Publishers, with VERY rare exceptions, want unpublished works. They will only pick up a self-published work if it has crazy-high sales. Eragon is an older example, with Fifty Shades being a much more recent (and well-known) one.

and I would get 80% of the profits.

Profits. If I make a statue out of solid gold that cost $999 in total and sell it for $1,000, and if I give you 80% of the profits, you are getting 80 cents because there was only $1 of profit. Printing a book on demand is much more expensive than mass-printing a book, due to economies of scale. The editors and people who work on a book deserve to get paid for their time and expertise, and the company needs to make money to keep the lights on. The more people you involve in a book, the more of that MSRP has to go into paying them, which means less profit margin, period. This is why print-on-demand is favorable for book stores, they are not paying for warehousing or shipping from warehouse to store or a guy at the store to put it on a shelf.

My national radio interview was at 11:00 PM in Tucson on Christmas Eve, which no one had heard.

Did they specify what radio station or time slot?

Maybe I got 10% from Amazon, and the checks stopped after 90 days.

Amazon, and most people, have a minimum payout threshold. They are not going to send you a check for 12 cents. Also, if no books are selling, there is nothing to pay you.

Now here is the part you are probably going to hate to hear the most: I honestly think the content of your book is hampering your sales.

[If you look up "Deep State on Amazon], you get a TV show, a book by a major publisher with a best selling author, the second season of the show, a movie, another book by a major publisher with a best-selling author...you are competing with a LOT of other people on this subject matter. Many of them are "subject matter experts." People are going to trust what Alex Jones or Tucker Carlson or whoever about the deep state, because they have a large following and people know them for knowing so much about the subject. When you write a nonfiction book, you need to be an expert on the topic, otherwise, why should someone listen to you?

Also...there is not much appetite for this kinda stuff. After Jan 6, anything that had to do with Q-Anon was removed from pretty much any and all marketplaces, even if there were never physical books sitting on any shelves, they didn't want to promote those beliefs nor give customers the impression that they are giving money to those authors. So the chances that Barnes and Noble would have this book on their shelves, regardless of the subject matter, is closer to 0 than it's not, but it is now 0 because it's about the deep state.

America is a free country where you can say whatever you like, and the government isn't going to stop you from turning it into a book and selling it. And companies also have the right to free speech, and choosing what to sell is protected speech, so Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc have the right to not put your book on shelves or even to de-prioritize it in their search algorithms. This isn't a government/big tech/leftist conspiracy thing, it's cause SCOTUS decided it's okay for bakers to not make gay wedding cakes because that is a form of speech, so you can blame that baker for all of this 😇

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
I've got one more question for all you researchers; how did the "Writer's Republic" sign wind up in Union City, NJ when the company is in another place altogether?

My hat is off to all of you! Great research!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aka Writers Desks, Writers Book Publishing House, and Writers Book Advertising Services.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet: Writer Beware keeps a running tally of Philippine schemes, and how to recognize them: https://writerbeware.blog/2019/08/1...ing-marketing-and-fake-literary-agency-scams/
That's really useful to pass on to new writers. There's something going on at the moment, because I've had three new writers down here asking me to help them find a publisher. I can't help them find a publisher, but I can help them avoid scams, so thanks. x

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the OP will return to see all your wise and kindly words; AW is one of (so far) five boards he's joined solely to post about this company, using the same text every time.

The cynical part of me is wondering if he's doing this to get views on his youtube video and perhaps increase sales of his book.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The cynical part of me is wondering if he's doing this to get views on his youtube video and perhaps increase sales of his book.
Might be. Might just be rage. It's all very sad, anyway. :(

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
If I'd lost 8K or whatever it was, I'd go on a mission.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Might be. Might just be rage. It's all very sad, anyway. :(
But useful for us to know. I've seen dozens of these publishers in the years I've been on AW, and hundreds of new writers who need to know the truth about how these publishers work.

Reactions: mccardey

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But useful for us to know. I've seen dozens of these publishers in the years I've been on AW, and hundreds of new writers who need to know the truth about how these publishers work.
Zackly.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I doubt the OP will return to see all your wise and kindly words; AW is one of (so far) five boards he's joined solely to post about this company, using the same text every time.

I mean, I did look up his book on Amazon and read most of the preview, because I wanted to see what sort of job this publisher did. Which wouldn't have happened if he didn't post this, so the advertising worked, I guess?

I liked the inclusion in the forward(?) about what the original title of the book was going to be, and why, and why it has since been changed, and also about all the other books in this series is gonna be. I always like seeing a creative's process and how they came to their decisions. It also mentions WR and how they helped, so that added another facet to this whole thing.

Reactions: byarvin

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It also mentions WR and how they helped, so that added another facet to this whole thing.
Yeah, I did wonder if maybe he'd want to rethink that recommendation now. It would be a service to other new writers.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It also mentions WR and how they helped, so that added another facet to this whole thing.
As a former PublishAmerica author, I was all about the cheerleading for them . . . until I saw the price ($25 for 165-page paperback in 2007), saw no sales, and was totally ghosted as soon as I tried to reach out to them.

So, yeah, I get it. My rage was real, as was my desire for someone to hear my roars and tell me how I was going to make this work. What I got was AW, some bits of knowledge, and several more completed and one published much better books.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a former PublishAmerica author, I was all about the cheerleading for them . . . until I saw the price ($25 for 165-page paperback in 2007), saw no sales, and was totally ghosted as soon as I tried to reach out to them.

So, yeah, I get it. My rage was real, as was my desire for someone to hear my roars and tell me how I was going to make this work. What I got was AW, some bits of knowledge, and several more completed and one published much better books.
Yes - good. It's kind that you said that. If some ghastly business is out to scam people, people will be scammed. The fault is with the business. How the victims of the scam deal with that (in their own time) is up to them.

I hope he comes back here, or to one of the other places he's broadcast to, and finds he's not the only writer who was ever scammed. And that he was targetted by people who knew exactly how to target him. And removes his recommendation.

All that said - people, please don't get scammed. It makes me so sad. 😿

Last edited:

ChandraStorm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chandrastorm.com

That was my first thougth as well, but I think it is not even his own channel (as far as I could deduce) and the book is never mentioned in the video by title. I think it really is more of a personal vendetta against Writers Republic. But I agree it is unlikely he will follow up on the posts in all the forums and groups he placed it.