Promoting a book BEFORE you get the deal -- why are people doing this?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, there were some early blog adopters (like John Scalzi) who published a first novel on their blogs, chapter by chapter. Scalzi, at least, eventually got a book deal out of it, and Old Man's War launched his very successful career as a SF writer.

It didn't hurt that Scalzi had background in journalism (or something along those lines) already either.

Nor that it was a well-written book with snappy dialogue and a good hook.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It didn't hurt that Scalzi had background in journalism (or something along those lines) already either. I think he had people who knew who he was before he even started blogging.

He'd also had a humor book published.

Everyone wants there to be a formula or a shortcut, and they don't want to hear there's no such thing. Nor do they want to hear that the path is non-linear, that all the effort in the world is often not enough, that good books fail all the time at all stages of the process.

Pre-release buzz is something a publisher will work to give you, but IME that's through their sales channel to retailers, and via ARCs and industry reviews. Pre-representation buzz? I have heard a story or two about people who've been contacted via Twitter based on things they were tweeting about their WIP, and that may be fueling this as well. But that's not the same as posting actual chapters, which can very much work against you.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread! I don't know why, but the suggestion that fiction writers need to build a 'following' before getting published aggravates me so much. Like, no! I need to write, not promote my brand. I procrastinate bad enough already, without feeling obliged to spend half my life on a hellsite like F***book or Tw*tter. And honestly, I won't be feeling it after I'm published, either.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Useless and potentially harmful. I don't know why writers would do that, but my first guess is that they've misunderstood the edict that writers need to "sell themselves." It's the same misapprehension that causes writers to send query letters in which they tout their work as the best thing since sliced bread and assert confidently that they will outsell Stephen King and out-literary James Joyce. When I was an agent, I'm sorry to admit that we used to pass those letters around for a laugh.

If you're a writer, don't praise your own work. Ever. That's for others to do, while you stand by, beaming modestly. No one in the history of the universe has ever bought a book because its author said it's brilliant---certainly not professionals!

The only other reason I can think of is professional loneliness. Writing a novel takes forever, and there's zero feedback or encouragement along the way. Writers can get desperate for someone to read their work and tell them it's valuable. Understandable...but that's what beta readers are for.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Pre-representation buzz? I have heard a story or two about people who've been contacted via Twitter based on things they were tweeting about their WIP, and that may be fueling this as well. But that's not the same as posting actual chapters, which can very much work against you.

I’ve seen this happen in YA, I think (it’s hard to know what may have gone on behind the scenes). But usually the person it happened to was already a popular Twitter personality, or they entered an established Twitter pitch contest. Hell, I’ve heard of people being signed based on queries they posted here in QLH (i.e., the agent was browsing through it). But all these things are so rare. And any book that succeeds in that unconventional way has at least a decent chance of succeeding the conventional way (querying).

The loneliness is real, though. Good betas/CPs are worth their weight in gold.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
I used to think an author platform was required too - or at least would increase your chances of an agent picking you up tenfold. But more and more when I check out agent's bios or submission guidelines they specify that IF you have a platform, most certainly you should mention it, but that it isn't a necessity for fiction writers, only non-fiction writers. This is good news because not everyone is comfortable with blogging, and while social media and writing forums such as this one are a great place to hang out/give and receive advice, not everyone has a lot of time to spend on them. The idea that an author platform was a biggy in regards to getting an agent/publishing deal was a worry for me. Now, not so much.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
That makes no sense at all to me to promote a book you don't even have a deal for. You might never get a deal and then what????

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I was bluntly told by a small press owner that I had to have a "platform" before even querying the book. That sounded ridiculous to me, but I realize now that this was only because they had no inclination or ability to do any marketing themselves, so it was up to me. When I sent back my R&R, I noted all the stuff I had done to comply with this supposed requirement. They still rejected my revisions. But I think many people are taking these instructions to heart, and it's kind of become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This is something shady and worthless small presses tell authors. In other words it just means you're on your own and and don't expect them to promote anything for you. Fiction authors don't need platforms beforehand but if you are writing nonfiction it's often a necessity.

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
Good thread. I stink at social media. Some people aren't good at it and I'm one of them who isn't. I have to rely on a good plot, good dialogue and good editing. Then it'll take a few books to build a "platform". Wish there was a get-rich-quick shortcut, but I'm not qualified to take advantage.

Last edited: