• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Printondemand-worldwide / FastPrint / Copytech (UK) Ltd.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about THIS company

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
They seem to be a pretty up front POD. Might be a good route if you want to self-publish. They seem to be very frank in this area and up front about how you'll have to almost all the work (depending on the package you buy).

darkpowers

I'll explain later...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daricbooks.com
[Printer] Printondemand-Worldwide / FastPrint

Has anyone used printondemand-worldwide.com and/or its fastprint service to produce their books?

Any experiences? Good or bad?

* Our good friend Search seems to know them not.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to me like a digital print-and-bind operation -- they speak a simplified dialect of printing and production, but they do speak it -- that does short-run books, and also offers self-publishing, POD, and direct-mail services.

Their printing and binding looks like honest manufacturing, and it's nice to see LightningSource getting some competition.

I can't judge the quality of their self-publishing services without seeing samples of their work. The promotional package is probably a waste of money.

I like their header for their color printing operation.

Porpoise35

Registered
Reaction score
History repeating itself?

My daughter published a book with Athena press (the "new" (2001) manifestation of the failed Minerva press) in 2010 and was approached by FastPrint saying Athena had gone into liquidation (which is not true at the time of this posting) and would she like to sign over her publishing rights to them?
Fortunately we did some investigations (including this excellent forum (thank you Mick Rooney!!)) and it looks as if Athena Press Ltd and Wilbury Solutions Ltd merely swapped names and company numbers on 14/02/2011 (see my post on the Athena thread) and did not file for liquidation. SHE DID NOT SIGN.
They seem to have offloaded their old publications on which royalties may be due (including my daughter's) to FastPrint while apparently taking on new ones (Athena's website is still being updated).
To recap, Fastprint took over Upfront which took on Minerva's titles in 2001.
We seem to have come full circle.
As the man says, "stay away, stay very far away..."!!!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Athena Print Media Limited, a company which has the same registered address as Athena Press Limited has gone into liquidation, but unless the contract was specifically with this company, any authors will not be affected.

Porpoise35 - it's worthwhile checking the assignment clause in your daughter's contract to make sure that your daughter's consent is required for any assignment of the contract (I assume it is as she was being asked to sign an assignment, but it is worth making sure).

If there is no such clause giving Athena the right to assign, then my suggestion would be to write to them asking them to revert all rights in the book to your daughter and making a statement of those royalties that you believe to be due and payable.

MM

Porpoise35

Registered
Reaction score
Athena Print Media Limited, a company which has the same registered address as Athena Press Limited has gone into liquidation, but unless the contract was specifically with this company, any authors will not be affected.

Porpoise35 - it's worthwhile checking the assignment clause in your daughter's contract to make sure that your daughter's consent is required for any assignment of the contract (I assume it is as she was being asked to sign an assignment, but it is worth making sure).

If there is no such clause giving Athena the right to assign, then my suggestion would be to write to them asking them to revert all rights in the book to your daughter and making a statement of those royalties that you believe to be due and payable.

MM
Thank you Momento Mori.

The contract was with Athena Press and no there is no assignment clause stating the Publisher can assign, only what happens if the Authors assigns.

We shall certainly be asking for the rights to be reverted, and starting proceedings to obtain any royalties due.

Thank you again for your suggestions.