Price of proof

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
Do auteurs need to pay for proof?

I am about to print out my self publish book, and I have contacted several printers in the UK to see what they can offer. I liked one of them and after seeing their price decided to see what they can do. I sent them the file and they sent me a printed proof copy. The book itself is all coloured and have a few picture in it.
I was not happy with the proof that they sent and I told them that I do not want them to print the books.
They said that I need to pay 90£ for the proof that they sent me. As they had to work on it to make it ready for print.
I would like to know if this is common or not. They did not say that I will need to pay for the proof, only that I will need to pay the full amount after I get the proof if I want to print the books.

If any one has any experience with that, and specifically in the UK, I would like to hear what you think.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience with that, but it sounds like a contract issue, or some other terms of service you might have agreed to at some point. Check whatever documentation is connected to the work and start there.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't have experience in the UK, but in the US, it depends on who you're using. Amazon will apparently provide free proofs. IngramSpark doesn't really do proofs; you have to publish the book and order (and pay for) a copy afterward. (That's what my research has shown, at least.)

Hopefully someone from the UK will chime in, but for a color book with illustrations, 90£ doesn't sound surprising for print-on-demand. Bookstore copies are cheap because of economies of scale. There's no way to capitalise on that when you're self-publishing.

ETA: Ah, I see I misread the question a bit. Yeah, the answer should be in the paperwork you signed, but that doesn't seem wildly off-base to me. IngramSpark charges the author for the setup of the book, and then additionally for copies; if you don't like what you get, they already have your money. Amazon is huge, and I've no doubt proofs are a loss leader for them.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
I am not aware of Amazon KDP Print offering free proofs. They will sell you 'author copies' at the cost of printing. And trust me, they aren't losing out.

Reactions: lizmonster

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I am not aware of Amazon KDP Print offering free proofs. They will sell you 'author copies' at the cost of printing. And trust me, they aren't losing out.
Ah, that makes more sense. I'm probably just remembering that you can get pre-publication proofs from Amazon, but you can't from IngramSpark, who will charge quite a bit if you make changes after publication.

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help.

Featured Book