POV and time elapsed affecting novel length

noisebloom

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question I can't quite find the answer to.

I'm working on the second major draft of a sci-fi/dystopian novel I intend on getting traditionally published. Sci-fi novels are usually expected to be rather long by fiction standards (your mileage may vary, but I think >80k words is common).

The problem is I think certain elements in my novel are going to result in this being a very short sci-fi novel. First of all, my novel is in first-person, and it only really follows a single POV, i.e. character around. Second of all, the novel only takes place over a few days. I'm looking at my first draft, and there's quite a lot of backstory, and adding too much more might bog it down; if anything, I'm cutting backstory. There seems to be adequate detail, as well, but I doubt this work is going to break 50k.

Can I even sell a sci-fi novel of this length? Historically, some of my favorite sci-fi novels are rather short, but nowadays they tend to run pretty long...

Reactions: Elenitsa

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That seems closer to novella territory than novel. Tor has published some novellas over the last couple of years, so I'm inclined to say if it's good you might find a market for it - but I think your instincts are right. You'll have less trouble with something 80K or over.

(I've no idea if an agent would take you on purely on the strength of a novella. I do know a couple of SFF writers who published a novella and a novel within about a year of each other.)

noisebloom

Registered
Reaction score
That seems closer to novella territory than novel. Tor has published some novellas over the last couple of years, so I'm inclined to say if it's good you might find a market for it - but I think your instincts are right. You'll have less trouble with something 80K or over.

(I've no idea if an agent would take you on purely on the strength of a novella. I do know a couple of SFF writers who published a novella and a novel within about a year of each other.)

Thanks for responding. To be honest, I'm probably worrying a bit too much about something that isn't provably inevitable. I woke up this morning fresh with ideas as to what needs fleshing out which may have a dramatic impact on length.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks for responding. To be honest, I'm probably worrying a bit too much about something that isn't provably inevitable. I woke up this morning fresh with ideas as to what needs fleshing out which may have a dramatic impact on length.
:) Yeah, don't pre-reject yourself! Books have a way of taking over once their first drafts are done. Worry about what to call it (and how to sell it) when it's done with you.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
I think it depends on where you plan to shop the manuscript. There are smaller publishers that definitely accept novella-length stories. Some reputable agents do as well. Usually, publishers and agents will have that information in their submission guidelines. I honestly think if an agent likes your story enough, the length will have less to do with their decision to accept or reject the manuscript.

But typically, you can almost always expect to lose more words by the time it reaches its final edit with the publisher or agent.

It is certainly possible to publish novellas. My books range anywhere from 58K to 70K. But I publish through smaller publishers.