• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

PLEASE READ--The Beta Project

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
THE BETA PROJECT ran from January-March 2009. Submissions are CLOSED, but the Project remains here for a learning experience.

If you're just stumbling into this sub-forum, The Beta Project is one big task to pair AW members who want beta readers with other AW members who want to be betas. The project was done anonymously so all critiques were done blind. Hopefully, in this way, everyone learned--

-- what they find helpful in a beta reader
-- everyone has a different critiquing style
-- someone's critiquing style may not be for you

If one of the anonymous participants likes what they read in a critique, they're free to get the critiquer's identity from me and vice versa. This way, members can start beta-ing full manuscripts.

If you think you want to be a full-time beta for one of these folks, let me know! Or, even better, leave them a note in their thread.

You can find more threads about the Project in the regular Beta Readers forum.

PARTICIPANTS, PLEASE NOTE:

1. The format of the critiques is the format that came to me in PM. Apologies, but if there are any HTML errors I can't fix them all.

2. Some submissions received more critiques than others. Some participants chose to do extra critiques beyond what was assigned to them and picked any extra submissions they liked. You may notice some critiques are more detailed and others are one or two lines. If you have a critique that is one or two lines, it's very likely that was not one of your original critiquers, but someone who wanted to pass along extra commentary.

Last edited:

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Katiemac!

Is this a continuation of the 2009 Beta Project? It seems since that was so successful that now you have this thread like a filter of some sort, I guess. I thought I'd mention my novel here in case you might know someone who would beta. Also I'm not sure how this links to the ongoing beta project... I'm not really sure of the meaning of this thread. I am seeking a beta reader for my mystery/soft sci-fi novel of 188,000 words. I'm willing to swap for whatever number of words the other seeker has i.e. if they have 60K words then they would only have to read 60K of mine. Really it would be nice just at least for first 3 chapters, 88 pages, about 26K and I would crit 26K of theirs. My beta and crit experience isn't all that extensive but a long time ago when I wasn't as busy I did a lot of crits in SYW, and also at a local writers group where others said they liked my crits.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]My story in a nutshell: When a 17 year old girl discovers Dorothy’s magical slippers have extraordinary powers and are the targets of an evil man bent on hurting America, she steals them herself with hopes to unlock the slippers' powers.

My story sounds maybe flaky, but it is not. I feel I have written a meaningful story for late teens and up. Anyone who reads this, PM me about your story and we can see if our stories are a good fit for each other.

Thanks!
Winfred
[/FONT]

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Winfred,

You missed the 2018 Beta Project, which just ended yesterday. The appropriate place to request betas outside of the Beta Project is in the normal Beta Readers, Mentors and Writing Buddies forum

ETA: It looks like you have already discovered that forum, and should stick to your original thread on this book.

Last edited: