Penitentiary Pacific The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but does that mean if you go into the local copy store and the person behind the counter prints out your manuscript and makes the print darker he would now have control of your manuscript?

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I've done it! I've invented a system whereby strands of metal are constantly pulled tight then loosened, creating friction within the molecules that creates quite a bit of heat - ala the first ever tension heater!

I've tested it out on quite a few people, and they've all said it made them feel like they were a sheep in a lion's den. So obviously it needs a little bit of tweaking. But when it's done I'll let you all know.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Oh yes, the superglue guy. God help whatever actor gets chosen for that role (although after reading the book, who's going to volunteer?). If the writer/director wants method acting, he may want the actor to actually squirt six ounces of superglue in his mouth. The author swore he knew where to find some.

Just keep the poison control hotline ready, and maybe the number for the hospital's morgue, too.

allen

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
My-Immortal said:
I'm not a lawyer, but does that mean if you go into the local copy store and the person behind the counter prints out your manuscript and makes the print darker he would now have control of your manuscript?

No. You need to read the article more carefully. It's particularly aimed at derivative works, but there is implied hints that it could apply to other aspects which only a court might solve and not necessarily to the copyright holder's benefit.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
No. You need to read the article more carefully. It's particularly aimed at derivative works, but there is implied hints that it could apply to other aspects which only a court might solve and not necessarily to the copyright holder's benefit.

That's what I thought, but after battling a headache for the past few days, I didn't want to try and figure out all the legal-speak. Thanks for the link.

Take care -

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think that we should all help CC write her book report. Surely we can all manage a sentence each? It wouldn't take long and I'd LOVE to read any feedback she got.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Celia Cyanide said:

If you do not have a copy of the novel, please refer to the site below:

This guy is a genius (what a marketing ploy) although obviously he doesn't understand a thing about actors. No actors worth their salt would rush out and buy a copy of a book and do a book report so that they can do an audition.

1. Actors are poor
2. Actors don't read (except scripts)
3. Actors don't write (except autographs and signing contracts)
4. Actors don't say "I think I can play X the best" -- you give them a role, and they say "yes, I can do it."
5. Actors are not as dumb as people think

I'd be interested, though, about how many "suckers" actually buy that spiel. I mean, where is the script? Where is the character breakdown? What is the production company? Who is doing the casting? Is this for real?

Good luck, Mr. Buchanan.

(then again, he is preying on those desperate "wannebes" so his ploy might actually work... what a scumbag. If I didn't hate him before, I sure do now.)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Oooo, let me take a stab at it:

Where is the script? There isn't one.
Where is the character breakdown? You'll have to highlight the characters in the copy of the book you buy off amazon.
What is the production company? There isn't one.
Who is doing the casting? Nobody, well, maybe Craigslist.
Is this for real? As real as the author's dream.
How many "suckers" actually buy that spiel? So far today, there's been one sale on amazon.

allen

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody should go over to that Barnes and Noble site and post massively negative reviews exposing his scam.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
i've got a better idea -

Buy 10 copies of "Dawno's Field Guide to Whistlepigs". Send one copy each to the ten people on the list below then send the list with the last name removed and put your name in its place. In just 12 to 16 weeks you'll have 1,347,257 copies of my book and I'll be a mega-best seller!!!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
brokenfingers said:
Everybody should go over to that Barnes and Noble site and post massively negative reviews exposing his scam.

no no no

Don't post a negative review unless you've read the book. We aren't Amazon slammers here!

If you do read it, feel free to tell the truth about the book anywhere you like! Oh, and send your copy to me when you're done; I'll pay postage and chip in on the purchase price. I want to prepare for my big acting break.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Dawno said:
i've got a better idea -

Buy 10 copies of "Dawno's Field Guide to Whistlepigs". Send one copy each to the ten people on the list below then send the list with the last name removed and put your name in its place. In just 12 to 16 weeks you'll have 1,347,257 copies of my book and I'll be a mega-best seller!!!

I'll start the list:

1. Santa
2. Dracula
3. CareBear
4. Kermit the Frog
5. Darth Vader
6. Casper the Friendly Ghost
7. Zeus
8. Helen of Troy
9. Father Time
10. Paulie Shore

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ray - why don't you claim to be making a movie out of your book and have would-be actors buy and read your book and tell you which part they might like to play in your movie........

Hmmmm....wait, that sounds familiar..... ;)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I'll start the list:

1. Santa
2. Dracula
3. CareBear
4. Kermit the Frog
5. Darth Vader
6. Casper the Friendly Ghost
7. Zeus
8. Helen of Troy
9. Father Time
10. Paulie Shore

That would be an interesting social gathering.....

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
1. Actors are poor

Yes, we are! And those of us who aren't do not go on craigslist looking for work, do we? I didn't see Cameron Diaz at the student film audition last week, but it went from 2-6, so maybe we just missed each other.

maestrowork said:
4. Actors don't say "I think I can play X the best" -- you give them a role, and they say "yes, I can do it."

Exactly! If you ask me which role I can play, I'm going to say, "any female role you got between the ages of 18 and 40."

Did it take me two pages to say that?

Deciding which role I can play is your job, not mine.

maestrowork said:
(then again, he is preying on those desperate "wannebes" so his ploy might actually work... what a scumbag. If I didn't hate him before, I sure do now.)

Just think of how many would-be actors get scammed every day? And this is not for $3000 worth of classes. This is just the cost of a book. An overpriced and badly written book, but a book, nonetheless.

I'm thinking of submitting an essay about how I want my character to become an aerialist. I've got a photo with me in an appropriate costume I could attach. It had nothing to do with his book, of course, but this assignment has nothing to do with casting, either.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
no no no

Don't post a negative review unless you've read the book. We aren't Amazon slammers here!
Hmmm, I'm afraid I'm not really aware of what an amazon slammer is.

But I do feel that it's not entirely right to be aware of a scam being perpetrated against people and do nothing about it.

Once a person resorts to underhanded schemes and lowlife tactics for personal gain, in my eyes they are fair game.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You should submit an article to ALL the trade journals and actors newsletters, etc. Just as we don't want writers to be taken by PA, we sure don't want gullible actors to be taken by PP.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
You should submit an article to ALL the trade journals and actors newsletters, etc. Just as we don't want writers to be taken by PA, we sure don't want gullible actors to be taken by PP.

I hate when I get taken by PP....it gets all over the shoes.....

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon Slammers is a nickname that was given to folks who posted bad reviews of Publish America books on Amazon. It's a bannable offence here, btw.

The book isn't a scam so posting a 'review' that talks about the author's scamming actors on Craigslist just seems innapropriate to me. It will also get a lot of PA authors nodding their heads when anyone says that the main reason for the reviews is AW bashing on them again...I don't disagree that scammers need to be revealed - I just think the online bookselling venues are not the right place - unless the book itself is a scam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.