Pen names: when to reveal the secret identity

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
I write under a pen name and normally that is absolutely fine. But I'm about to do some promotion for my new book, including a reading at my local library where everyone knows me by my secret identity. Do I out myself in the promotion materials so more people might come because they've actually heard of me, or do I keep quiet and let them find out when they arrive for the reading? I have reasons for not wanting my two lives to intersect, so wouldn't do a reveal on Facebook. But how about the poster that goes on the bulletin board outside the General Store, or inside the library? (I'm the one doing the promo--joys of small-town and small-publisher life), so can control all of this. My pen name isn't enough of a draw on its own (anywhere, let alone in town where everybody knows everybody).

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've not been in this situation, so I can't say from direct experience. Your personal reasons for keeping the two identities separate are as valid as the publicity reasons for revealing the connection. Is the short-term publicity bump from the reveal worth the consequences of folks knowing the ElaineB, author of . . . is also ElaineX, Caldwell-Banker's top-producing realtor in the tri-state area [or whatever]? (I really like your cover for Wishbone!) Will the reveal happen anyway and it would be better to have more control over how much you reveal and when? What protections or vulnerabilities would you experience either way?

It's a personal decision, and completely in your rights to make. I'm completely behind you either way.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The right thing to do depends on whether you're willing to out yourself as being Pen Name or if you'd prefer to keep the two selves separate in a real-world setting (as opposed to Facebook et al).

If you're okay with local people realizing Pen Name is you, and glad to have any benefits inherent in people who recognize your Real Name, then you can certainly promote a signing by Real Name, writing as Pen Name. This is common enough that people won't get confused.

Or if you want to keep the separation (which is advised if your content is contentious), you adopt the role of Pen Name and stay in character throughout the signing and any personal conversations with attendees or staff. You get to be the writerly version of yourself, but don't share your real name or any other identifying information like the street you live on or what schools you family attends. This could be awkward when someone you know, or who recognizes you, says, "Wait, I thought you were Real Name." You need a quick and friendly reply that does not confirm or deny. "I write as Pen Name. Would you like green ink or purple?"

Maryn, who'll take purple, please

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
I've not been in this situation, so I can't say from direct experience. Your personal reasons for keeping the two identities separate are as valid as the publicity reasons for revealing the connection. Is the short-term publicity bump from the reveal worth the consequences of folks knowing the ElaineB, author of . . . is also ElaineX, Caldwell-Banker's top-producing realtor in the tri-state area [or whatever]? (I really like your cover for Wishbone!) Will the reveal happen anyway and it would be better to have more control over how much you reveal and when? What protections or vulnerabilities would you experience either way?

It's a personal decision, and completely in your rights to make. I'm completely behind you either way.
All good questions. I don't think there's a downside to a local reveal--they'll know as soon as I step up to the podium or they write a check to buy a book. I think it's more about how to word it gracefully. I can keep the wider promotion under just the pen name. (Glad you like the Wishbone cover!)
If you're okay with local people realizing Pen Name is you, and glad to have any benefits inherent in people who recognize your Real Name, then you can certainly promote a signing by Real Name, writing as Pen Name. This is common enough that people won't get confused.
So yes, this ^^. How to phrase it. Then I just have to brace myself to see that on a poster for the truckers and bikers who stop at the General Store! Thanks! (Off to buy a purple pen.)

• Love
Reactions: Elenitsa

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
For me it is simpler - I write under a pen name, because this is my writer brand, but in the publishers note at the end of the books my true identity is revealed, in every book (together with general biography facts, all published books and most renowned writing prizes obtained).

Reactions: ElaineB

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I write under a pen name because people often mispronounce or misspell my actual name. But it wouldn't be hard for someone to find out who I "am."

I interviewed the natural history writer Sue Hubbell at her Ozark cabin, but she wouldn't tell me exactly where it was until I was within 20 miles of it. She said she had people drive up to her cabin and want to begin friendships. People she didn't know/didn't invite/didn't want. So she grew very protective of her privacy.

• Wow

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I write as Marina Costa. However, the editor's note, at the end of each book, states also my real name, together with the usual condensed bio. I do not use a pen name to hide under it, but to have it as a brand.

Reactions: Maryn

LaurieDelancey

a magpie mind
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should carefully consider whether you want people to know this, and whether it will eventually be known, given you're in a small town. In-person promotion isn't as valuable as your safety and well-being, and if being identified would threaten either of those things, I would advise against it. On the other hand, if you don't think it will be an issue, and you want privacy against strangers, not against acquaintances, I'd say it would be fine.

I chose a pen name for privacy reasons. I don't intend to tell most of my relatives that I write books, assuming I ever manage to get one published, because I have a lot of family who are politically opposite to me and would wind up trying to save my soul if my book about pagan queer witches with mental issues were to come to their attention. In a case like mine, I would advise against revealing it in a place where they might be likely to find out.

I hope this is helpful.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How badly do you want/need to protect your real identity? Because once it's out there locally, all it takes is one person innocently putting the exciting news about the identity of a local now-celebrity on the 'Net for the secret to be out.

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
How badly do you want/need to protect your real identity? Because once it's out there locally, all it takes is one person innocently putting the exciting news about the identity of a local now-celebrity on the 'Net for the secret to be out.
Which is what happened! I carefully created three posters. One giving both names that was only posted in town, one with my pen name but mentioned my locality for local businesses, and then one with only my pen name, for online. I even had someone else post online so it wouldn't be under my name. But then she gave me away in the post. I carefully did not interact with that post as me so my "friends" wouldn't see it. Facebook being Facebook, that's how it works. I'm new enough in town that all my FB friends are from my former life. Locally, we don't need FB. We just gab at the library. :)

I went with Maryn's wording, so thank you!

Anyway, the event went well. Small crowd but several had read my book and they asked the best questions (the first being why a pen name and how'd I choose it). It was a blast.

SWoodham

Registered
Reaction score
The right thing to do depends on whether you're willing to out yourself as being Pen Name or if you'd prefer to keep the two selves separate in a real-world setting (as opposed to Facebook et al).

Or if you want to keep the separation (which is advised if your content is contentious), you adopt the role of Pen Name and stay in character throughout the signing and any personal conversations with attendees or staff. You get to be the writerly version of yourself, but don't share your real name or any other identifying information like the street you live on or what schools you family attends. This could be awkward when someone you know, or who recognizes you, says, "Wait, I thought you were Real Name." You need a quick and friendly reply that does not confirm or deny. "I write as Pen Name. Would you like green ink or purple?"

Maryn, who'll take purple, please

If you have a photo of yourself with Pen Name will people recognise you and come because of facial recognition?

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I'm terrified of people realizing I write, even though I've discussed my writing with some of my friends. I don't know, I just don't like the fact people could know who I am, and find me. I guess this desire for secrecy has bled into my writing, since my characters often exist in the blind spots of society, have secret identities at risk of being exposed, or are completely unknown entities.

• Wow

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
In general, I don't see a need to tell everyone that you although you write under John Doe, your actual name is Jane Smith.

The specific question in the original post is do you want to tell friends or not because you are appearing as Pen Name at Event.

Good reason to inform, they enjoy the latest book but would feel awkward if they were surprised by walking in and seeing you behind the podium because they hate surprises.

Bad reason to inform, they have no interest in your books and would feel pressured to come, but awkward being there.

I would probably compromise with most, "Hey, I heard 'Author' is coming for an Event at Location, if you think a friend would like to come, let them know" especially if it is free.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a rather amusing incident, my husband and kids found out that I have a pen name. When they asked why, I told them it's because we live in a small community where everyone knows everyone else's business even if we don't know each other.