ParaDon Books Publishing / Amazon Book Clubs

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Honours and Awards:

Best Urban-Lit Writer's Award
Best Team Member award, 564 Squadron U.S.A.F (2001)
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/korede-abayomi/20/159/504

I did three years of college before dropping out to pursue my writing full time. I was also an active member of the U.S Air Force and Army national Guards for six years, where I worked as a warrant officer and I learned all this tactic things about governmental procedures and the rules of law and order (my bolding!).
http://www.openzine.com/aspx/Zine.aspx?IssueID=17666

But is Korede Abayomi even his real name?

...the fact that I lost my younger brother to a gun fight inspired me to write and put Shebang! on the market. How old was your brother? Twenty-eight. His name was Ayinde Somadhi. That drives me to my next question. What can you tell us about your name Korede Abayomi, what does it mean? Well first of all, I am a Nigerian-American. My mom is the highest ranking female Chief in Nigeria, and she has been published many times over. Her name is Chief FAMA if all you guys care to look.
http://www.openzine.com/aspx/Zine.aspx?IssueID=17666

Ayinde Somadhi was murdered in 2010:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sa...de-adewole-somadhi&pid=144680665&referrer=106

Mr Abayomi's second novel The Oracle contains photographs by someone called Tifase Somadhi.

Chief Fama is indeed the author of several books about Nigerian religion, and since 1990 she has been married to Chief Ifabowale Sohma Somadhi. I e-mailed her to ask if she is Mr Abayomi's mother but she hasn't replied yet.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I just burned out my brain refreshed my memory and followed this thread from inception.

It still feels like a 419 scam.

If this Korede is one of Chief Fama's sons and she doesn't know about what he's been doing, I cringe for him. Because I know some Nigerian ladies. They are seriously tough, resourceful, and honorable people who do not take guff from their kids.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that brain-liquifying "spun" article about Mr Abayome and Shebang? I was particularly baffled by this bit:

Their mom, Main FAMA, can be just about the most notarized creators regarding Photography equipment subject matter.

This is what happens when software tries to rewrite something like

"His mother, Chief Fama, has written well-known books about Ifa."

When you know there's a Nigerian religion called Ifa it all makes sense. Well, sort of.

Last edited:

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
RE aliceshortcake's post about this fellow:

I was also an active member of the U.S Air Force and Army national Guards for six years, where I worked as a warrant officer

Correct me if I'm wrong but USAF doesn't have warrant officers. Could just be sloppy phrasing and he's claiming to have been a WO in the ANG. Just struck me as odd...

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong but USAF doesn't have warrant officers. Could just be sloppy phrasing and he's claiming to have been a WO in the ANG. Just struck me as odd...

Nope, they sure don't. The Army does, but not the Air Force.

It's odd that he'd go from Air Force to the Army National Guard and not the Air National Guard.

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is terrifyingly awesome - it's like a train wreck you can't stop watching. There's got to be a great comedy routine in just reading "spun" works aloud. Shebang!!!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com

Kate, while it is true the AF got rid of warrants years ago, he could have gone from enlisted in the AF to warrant in the ANG based on his experience and if he went into a critical field that needed warrants. I've seen that happen before.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone chatted with the FTC?

Could one of you lot based in the USA do this? A long phone call from England could be pretty expensive! The only e-mail address on the FTC site is via a form which is impossible to use if the complainant hasn't personally been cheated out of money.

Also, did anyone make a note of ParaDon's phone number before it vanished from the site? According to Whitepages, Amazon Book Clubs' number is located in Hartford, Washington, Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I am stunned and amazed. Aliceshortcake, I feel like I should give my "Girl Detective" username to you!!

And whomever you spoke to at the Montana Office of Consumer Proection obviously and seriously rocks. Like, the kind of rocking you contact their supervisor and tell them about; that's seriously awesome. I urge you to do that.

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Aliceshortcake does deserve a medal for her sleuthing skills. :)

This scam leaves me quite flummoxed.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
*proudly pins Stacia's 'Girl Detective' badge on lapel*

Aw, shucks! 'Tweren't nuthin'. I enjoy excavating the seamy underside of the interwebz.

I'll tell you what also leaves me flummoxed, not to mention gobsmacked - Amazon.com's indifference to this sort of chicanery.

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly surprised - I had assumed that Amazon would have taken a very dim view of what they had attempted.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Don't be surprised. Look at the whole Harriet Klausner debacle.

Amazon's book sales division is barely more than a loss leader to them; most of their profit comes from sales of electronics. Unless there is a significant hit to their book sales or public outcry, individual cases will probably be swept under the carpet.

Authors taken in by similar scams tend to react like typical victims of MLM or pyramid schemes. They blame themselves for their failure. They often find or found another publisher to begin the vicious cycle all over again, thinking 'this time it will be different.' These authors more than likely would never bitch directly at Amazon over the implicit close business 'relationship' between Amazon and affiliates like ParaDon.

Amazon is invested in continuing the status quo. Books with sales ranks in the millions (or no sales at all) are low on Amazon's give-a-shit list. Even Korede's better-selling The Oracle in Kindle version only has a current rank in the high 500,000 range, indicating relatively slow sales. Going after him would probably be a waste of time for Amazon's legal and accounting departments.

The FTC is a better bet, I think.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
*Blushes*

Oh, you're too kind!

As for the FTC, I've found a way to complete the secure email form and a complaint has just winged its way to them.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is terrifyingly awesome - it's like a train wreck you can't stop watching. There's got to be a great comedy routine in just reading "spun" works aloud. Shebang!!!

Next year's Edinburgh Festival, HERE I COME!

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Amazon.com might not care about the ABC affiliate store, but might they care about the whole "1000s of PDFs for you to sell!" thing? I know they (Amazon) were dealing with the problem of lots of those paid content e-books flooding the Kindle store. That connection might get their attention?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This entire debacle has been hellaciously entertaining, kind of like a real-life Coleman Francis-Ed Wood-MST3K mashup. Gads, what a train wreck!

"A man, caught in the wheels of progress. Flag on the moon, how'd it get there?"

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Do you collect...collectibles? Here's your opportunity to collect not one but two - count 'em, TWO - bestselling books, signed for you by the author!

shebangmeet_zps272338d5.jpg

http://www.pandahi.com/1008068112.html

How nice of Mr Abayomi to confirm that he was living in Great Falls as recently as March 2012. And yes, his phone number - [Redacted by admin. Please don't do this.] - is the same scammer-friendly one used by ParaDon until it was removed from their site a few days ago.

I think I'll buy some copies for my girfreind or boyfreind.

I accept debit cards, credit cards, or cash.

Oh, I'm sure you do.

Last edited by a moderator: