Outlining technique

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi team,

I hope this hasn't been covered before -- I had a brief scroll and couldn't find a thread about it (please forgive me if there is one!).

I've outlined my current WIP, and am finding it much easier to get words down on the page than when I used to pants it all.

I am wondering if the plotters out there could share their outlining techniques, and any pitfalls they've found e.g. anything they make sure to put down on the page.

Reactions: PastyAlien

SusanStar

Registered
Reaction score
My outlining tends to be more open and less thorough than some other plotters. It makes room for pantsing by just focusing on the major events, like A, B, and C need to happen somewhere around "here". I can never follow a plan to a T so I usually just give it room to grow if it needs it.

The usual downside I noticed is just getting from point A to point B because I don't pay much to transitions. I let the pantser side of me take care of those but some transitions take longer to carve out than others.

ChaseJxyz

Writes šŸ³ļøā€āš§ļøšŸŒ•šŸŗ and šŸ³ļøā€āš§ļøšŸŒ•šŸŗ accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
My first step is to write a synopsis of the story, so its kind of like a 1-2 paragraph "plot" section of a Wikipedia article. This gets my brain to "run through" the whole story and set up really high-level cause/effect and conflict/resolution stuff. I then break that up into a bullet point-y outline, and one of the levels is a chapter.

For me (at this point), a chapter has a "goal" that needs to be completed in it. It can be going to/getting/learning about a specific thing, a specific conversation, an escalation of the conflict etc. Sometimes they're very specific because I have a very specific vision of what a moment might look like, sometimes its very vague. I then move over to Excel and list out the scenes and any details that need to be in of those scenes. Scene level and "lower" I let myself deviate from the outline if something feels better or right-er when I get to that point of the writing. And sometimes these chapters end up really long or not in the best order (especially if it's multi POV) but that's fixable in editing.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi team,

I hope this hasn't been covered before -- I had a brief scroll and couldn't find a thread about it (please forgive me if there is one!).

I've outlined my current WIP, and am finding it much easier to get words down on the page than when I used to pants it all.

I am wondering if the plotters out there could share their outlining techniques, and any pitfalls they've found e.g. anything they make sure to put down on the page.
I currently use a blend of snowflake technique ( google it ) and the 15 screenwriting beats. With those outlines (which take a while to pull together) I can methodically work through the scenes.

The pitfall comes shortly after the midpoint, for me, because it's not as fun to write 'bad guys close in' etc as all the set up and cool stuff that comes before, but I can eventually power through and then fix it.

Reactions: P.K. Torrens

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
  • Brain storm whatever you need to thinking on paper.
  • Write down description of events.
  • Break down your description into sentences. Branch from there if you want.
  • Note events on index cards.
  • Arrange index cards by parts/acts/whatever just put them in chronological order.
  • Open program like Scrivener and add the index scene cards as scenes. Add brief description if you want like who is the POV char in the scene. Make sure to organize sections in sub-folders for chapters.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the Snowflake Method. I'm a confirmed pantser, however, when I was figuring out how this whole writing-a-novel-thing worked, it was the only way I could make my ideas viable. I still use bits of it to figure out how to handle the giant pile of slush my pantsing creates. Personally, I advise against the step with the character sketches, but again: pantser.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I have mixed luck with outlining. I can use it to sketch out something short like a scene or a chapter, but for anything higher order I get a couple of main headings down and start pantsing.

Comes of a bad case of magpie brain. Something that happens to me a lot, even in short pieces, is I write what I planned to, sometimes to a good degree of polish, and then see something I previously had not and go off in a different direction.

Iā€™m not certain if the following illuminates a pitfall of outlines or simply reflects the diabolical nature of PowerPoint. In my day job I routinely performed and documented technical analyses on a variety of topics. All too often, I was commanded to produce a PowerPoint presentation (and brief it to upper management.)

My line management and I were in agreement that a PPT briefing was unacceptable for archival purposes, so for anything of significance (quad charts, for example, did not qualify) I produced a written report as well.

I learned that you can produce a PPT presentation starting from a written report but that you cannot turn a typical PPT presentation into cogent text. Iā€™m not sure why not: The limitation on the number of bullets someone in the back of the room can read means you tend to end up with a series of disconnected topics with no lower-level explication; even in an environment where senior management remained technically current, there was an expectation of managementese jargon and programmatic CYA (I could a funny story about launch dates but shouldnā€™t) that contributed zero meaningful contentā€”all I know is I couldnā€™t make it work. I would toss the PPT and start writing from scratch if the work merited archival documentation.

Edward Tufte wrote a blistering essay on PPT, ā€œThe Cognitive Style of PowerPoint,ā€ that is a really good read. Alasā€”it is not remotely funny: Tufte performs a damning post-mortem on the loss of the Columbia orbiter, in which a botched PPT presentation played a role.

Last edited:

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
P.K. Torrens said:
I am wondering if the plotters out there could share their outlining techniques

Sure, with the caveat that I don't use any of the established methods or techniques - I've just sort-of arrived at this point though regular trial and error.

Okay, here goes...

1) Initial flash of inspiration.

2) I write a brief synopsis (maybe ten-fifteen lines of text in Notepad) that establishes the core plot idea, the genre, the setting and the type of characters I'll need.

3) I let it simmer for a while to see if it holds water.

4) I run through the synopsis multiple times while adding a little here and cutting a little there.

5) Once the synopsis is to my liking, I split it into chapters.

6) Each chapter is then split into scenes.

7) I let it simmer for a while to see if it holds water.

8) If there's any research I need to do before I start the actual writing, this is where I do it (the research continues during the writing process itself, of course).

9) And off I go click-click-a-clickety-clickin' for X number of days/weeks until its done.

This method has served me well over the years :)

(...) and any pitfalls they've found e.g. anything they make sure to put down on the page.

Well, hmmm... this isn't really related to what I just listed, but back in my earlier days as a storyteller, I always wrote the character names I thought I wanted to use directly into the documents. When I discovered that few things are as frustrating as going through the umpteenth search-and-replace (that always messes up more than it fixes), I began using placeholders.

Norsebard

TheKingsWit

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard plotter, but I go for a very flexible approach. I start with the core elements that inspire me, brainstorm a lot, try to cobble together a vaguely linear plotline, and fill in the connective tissue. Then I keep the elements I like (and throw out anything that isn't working), do another round of brainstorming, and create another, often wildly different, slightly more detailed outline. I do this again and again until I have a strong 'feel for the story and like at least all the major plot beats.

The actual form the outline takes depends on my mood and the level of detail. Bullet point lists, Save the Cat! beat sheets, index cards, chapter by chapter outlines, three paragraphs, one for the beginning, middle and end, anything goes. When I start actually writing I'll typically outline each scene in more detail just before I write it, and those might diverge from the original scene outline.

By around 10 to 20k into my zero draft, I've discovered new interesting paths to take my novel down, as well as key flaws I couldn't see in the outlining phase. At this point I'll do a new, 'final' brainstorming and outlining session. (it's not the last one I'll do, just the last one I'll do for the draft.) toss out what I've written so far, and start over. Changes I want to make after this stage just get noted down in comments on the draft.

I've found outlining is a very time-effective way to try out new ideas, but I've never felt the need to let the outline box me in.

ChaseJxyz

Writes šŸ³ļøā€āš§ļøšŸŒ•šŸŗ and šŸ³ļøā€āš§ļøšŸŒ•šŸŗ accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
To kinda update my post: I DO use the Snowflake method...but that's mostly in the idea-generation phase. There's, like, 10-12 steps to it and I've never done all of them. 1 is to come up with a 1 sentence summary of your novel (guy finds out he has supernatural power so he's gonna solve a crime), 2 is expand that into a paragraph (so like a very shot plot summary on Wikipedia), 3 is a "summary" for each of your main characters (so motivations, goals, conflicts etc), 4 is step 2 but each sentence is as long as a paragraph...I've never gone past that point lol. At that point I have a 500-1,000 word summary of the whole story and then I go to my own outlining method I posted above.

I guess why I didn't mention it before is that I don't really consider that "outlining;" I think of it more as "story development." To me, an outline is Mapquest directions to....somewhere. I know where I'm starting, I know where I'm ending, I follow it when I'm writing to make sure I'm going in the right direction and end up in the places I gotta be (but there's space for rest stops or checking out something interesting). The Snowflake method is researching where I want to go, to see if the restaurant is open the day I want to go there, if there's things I can eat with my food allergies...it's a necessary step to create the directions, but it in itself is not directions-making.

The Mapquest metaphor is really apt because I use Google Maps to navigate when I'm biking but a lot of the time I'll go "hey I've never gone down that street before and it's in the same direction of where I'm going, I wonder what it looks like over there?" and sometimes there's cool stuff, sometimes I hit a dead end and gotta turn around and I feel kind of dumb but that happens sometimes, you know? And that happens with my writing, too. You can't always predict how things will develop or what ideas you'll get along the way (or if there's traffic or construction or something) so you gotta keep an open mind and have flexibility.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard plotter, but I go for a very flexible approach. I start with the core elements that inspire me, brainstorm a lot, try to cobble together a vaguely linear plotline, and fill in the connective tissue. Then I keep the elements I like (and throw out anything that isn't working), do another round of brainstorming, and create another, often wildly different, slightly more detailed outline. I do this again and again until I have a strong 'feel for the story and like at least all the major plot beats.

The actual form the outline takes depends on my mood and the level of detail. Bullet point lists, Save the Cat! beat sheets, index cards, chapter by chapter outlines, three paragraphs, one for the beginning, middle and end, anything goes. When I start actually writing I'll typically outline each scene in more detail just before I write it, and those might diverge from the original scene outline.

By around 10 to 20k into my zero draft, I've discovered new interesting paths to take my novel down, as well as key flaws I couldn't see in the outlining phase. At this point I'll do a new, 'final' brainstorming and outlining session. (it's not the last one I'll do, just the last one I'll do for the draft.) toss out what I've written so far, and start over. Changes I want to make after this stage just get noted down in comments on the draft.

I've found outlining is a very time-effective way to try out new ideas, but I've never felt the need to let the outline box me in.
Ah yes: ā€œthe core elements that inspire me.ā€ Iā€™m not a great fan of Tolkein, but I think I spotted the core element that inspired his Middle-Earth sagas in the passage in the Silmarillion where Beren says ā€œEven now a Silmaril is in my hand.ā€

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
My planning varies manuscript-to-manuscript at this point, partly because I don't always have a lot of time to plan ahead of time. I would love to have a detailed outline before I begin a project, but at the same time I don't ever want to let that prevent me from starting something. (I try to plan my next manuscript (and other future ones) while I'm drafting my current one. However, if I finish drafting one project, I'll usually start to draft the next one within 24 hours if I'm not writing short stories.)

It's also hard to describe because outlining tends to be just one piece of my planning process. Usually by the time I get to an actual outline, I already have the whole story, so I'm just sequencing the events and then seeing if I need any additional events.

Before I can start writing, I need a beginning and some rough idea of the ending. If I haven't worked out a lot of the steps in-between, I'll write a few chapters to see how things are progressing and then just outline the rest of the book at that point.

I tend to think in terms of events, which I then might break down into scenes (although some events are already scenes). My planning of events comes down to what makes sense in terms of story progression, with an eye towards escalating stakes and tension.

The outline itself can look like anything. Sometimes it resembles a very long synopsis, sometimes it's bullet-points with sub-bullets, or bullets with a detailed description, etc. However, other parts of the planning document tend to look more consistent, since I'll usually start with a premise, followed by a longer blurb. Then as I'm drafting, I'll update the planning document with details so I can keep track of what I'm doing.

The one thing I try not to plan as much is dialogue and certain elements of characters' personalities, which I'd rather have emerge as I write so they feel more organic (which I think was a piece of advice I originally got from a Sanderson lecture).

In general, I see outlines as living documents. They're a writing tool, and I need to use them in a way that makes sense. I'll often make a few changes to my outline as I go along.

The biggest pitfall I've found in plotting -- in the past, anyway -- was that it contributed to procrastination, which is what led me to just jump-starting projects and working out the outline afterward (although I'll still have a general plan, and an outline for the early events). Plus planning can get overwhelming at times.

Reactions: Ink-Soul

Magoo0214

Banned
Reaction score
Hi team,

I'm a nwebie working on my first novel. Read 25 books before writing my first words. One book I strongly recommend is "Outlining your Novel" by K.M. Weiland. A few nuggets from the book 1. Main point of scene. 2. any sub-plots. 3. cause (plot-what happens) 4. Effect (Consequence) 5. Why it matters. Hope this helps.

suedelima

Registered
Reaction score
I like this.
I plowed through the rough draft of my first novel using structure alone. Then in the revision process, I went back through and tweaked each scene to include the points you mentioned above.
How much more helpful (and efficient!) to include those points in the outline and write them in the first draft!
Which, of course, I'll do on my next novel, but now I'm stuck in revision hell, so it'll be a while.

iBleed2

Registered
Reaction score
Pantser here. Over the last couple years, I've really benefited from improving my outlining process. Been writing for more than a decade now but would always end up rewriting the same story three or four times without really getting anywhere. When I started to read more about the outlining process and learning about various arcs within the story then I was able to improve my drafts. Here's what I did. Maybe some of it will help.

Step 1- identify main character and why they are telling this story. What is the main question of the story? What is in their way?
Step 2- write a short sypnosis of the story. A paragraph or two is fine.
Step 3- establish main plot points (introduction, call to action, midpoint, climax and resolution). It helps if you have concrete scenes to work towards.
Step 4- create a character arc and an arc for your antagonist. This will help create ideas on how to bridge your key scenes. create an emotional arc as well.
Step 5- detail each chapter scene by scene. I usually use a rising conflict-climax-conclusion within each scene but also use cause-effect too to string the scenes together.
Step 6- review your chapter by chapter guide, take notes on some things you would like to try or some scenes that might prove difficult to write.
Step 7- write first draft.

It usually takes a couple weeks to write a solid outline. Maybe longer. Even then, it's only really a guide to help me. Almost always as I'm writing it I'll have a different idea and go in sometimes completely different paths than the outline because it felt right. It's up to you. It's your story!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Pantser here. Over the last couple years, I've really benefited from improving my outlining process. Been writing for more than a decade now but would always end up rewriting the same story three or four times without really getting anywhere. When I started to read more about the outlining process and learning about various arcs within the story then I was able to improve my drafts. Here's what I did. Maybe some of it will help.

Step 1- identify main character and why they are telling this story. What is the main question of the story? What is in their way?
Step 2- write a short sypnosis of the story. A paragraph or two is fine.
Step 3- establish main plot points (introduction, call to action, midpoint, climax and resolution). It helps if you have concrete scenes to work towards.
Step 4- create a character arc and an arc for your antagonist. This will help create ideas on how to bridge your key scenes. create an emotional arc as well.
Step 5- detail each chapter scene by scene. I usually use a rising conflict-climax-conclusion within each scene but also use cause-effect too to string the scenes together.
Step 6- review your chapter by chapter guide, take notes on some things you would like to try or some scenes that might prove difficult to write.
Step 7- write first draft.

It usually takes a couple weeks to write a solid outline. Maybe longer. Even then, it's only really a guide to help me. Almost always as I'm writing it I'll have a different idea and go in sometimes completely different paths than the outline because it felt right. It's up to you. It's your story!
Just pointing out, all of the above sounds like THE EXACT OPPOSITE of pantsing. Most pantsers of my acquaintance would find putting all that thought and effort and detail into an outline kills the story dead before they've written word 1. A real pantsing approach would move your Step 7 to the top. Write the draft however it comes! Then apply steps 1-6 when you're ready to revise it.

Reactions: Ink-Soul

mejjimelk

Registered
Reaction score
I use the snowflake method for my current WIP. I have tried it on occasion before but never put any real effort in it. Currently on the step of writing the short synopsis (five paragraphs) and I have a much better experience than ever before. It does feel a bit tedious at times though but well worth it considering I get a mostly logically cohesive story out of it with well defined character arcs.

iBleed2

Registered
Reaction score
Just pointing out, all of the above sounds like THE EXACT OPPOSITE of pantsing. Most pantsers of my acquaintance would find putting all that thought and effort and detail into an outline kills the story dead before they've written word 1. A real pantsing approach would move your Step 7 to the top. Write the draft however it comes! Then apply steps 1-6 when you're ready to revise it.
Maybe I should have said that I used to be a pantser šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to plotting. I outline all my stories, but I also leave room for improvisation.

My usual process is: I open a document where I write down the premise of my story. Basically, what I want the story to be, without worrying about details or even coherence. From there, I do some research into the major pillars of the story to understand more about certain subjects and to give me stronger ideas. After that, as I work on building characters and world, I'll start a beat sheet containing beats (duh) that I think would fit into the narrative.

Once I have a better understanding of my story, I work on developing those beats into outlines for individual chapters. I don't make this too detailed (unless it's a chapter that I feel needs more preparation), but rather write the main events that must happen and the emotional values. With this, I go to the writing itself! Knowing well who my characters are and what my world is, I find it great to allow the story to grow from those seeds that I planted in the outline :D

Sometimes I hit writer's block, unsure of how to achieve those values I set in the outline. To solve this, I usually re-read my outline and/or do a bit of research. Or just go and take a cuppa, it helps wonderfully as well!

Reactions: Pacific