• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Omnific Publishing

uberellis

Implausible Docs - Unlikely Sources
Registered
Reaction score
I believe they are a digital first publisher and digital first publishers tend to do everything via email. I wouldn't bother trying to snail mail them anything.

I received the notice of acceptance on 25 May and she requested the hard copy be sent her by 01 June-- and I overnighted it to arrive the Friday before the deadline. Unless a formal electronic signing app is used, it seems they would still need a signed hard copy of the contract for legal reasons and records. A scan attached to an email doesn't always suffice.

And the are doing physical bound copies of the anthology-- the contract said I get 2 bound copies and 5 electronic ones.

Thanks...

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
My digital first publisher puts all books over 50 thousand words into print also. That's what digital first means, digital, before print. I signed the contract on my novel electronically. It's not difficult. Are you saying that Omnerific doesn't have a facility for you to sign digitally? If you're still having problems you might want to email them and ask them how/if you can sign digitally.

Last edited:

uberellis

Implausible Docs - Unlikely Sources
Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying that Omnerific doesn't have a facility for you to sign digitally? If you're still having problems you might want to email them and ask them how/if you can sign digitally.

Exactly-- typically when filling out an online application for employment with a contracting agency, or credit application, etc, they use a sort of plug-in or app that captures your info and authorizes your input as an electronic signature.

Dr Harper requested that I attach the scanned copy of the contract to an email reply and forward the hard copy to the LA address within a week's time. She acknowledged receipt of the scanned copy and the hardcopy's tracking number, but over this past weekend the hardcopy came back to me "return to sender-- not at this address". It smelled funny, and that's what lead me to this thread. I was trying to do some research prior to getting back to them.

Of a bigger concern, was that I was told by her I can't include the story I wrote in my own on-demand [maybe electronic] release of a collection I am putting together.

The people I've dealt with-- E Harper, the editor, and the promoter-- have been nice enough, and nothing really strange have been requested, but...

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I know a few publishers still prefer a hard copy signature; I don't know if there's any legal reasons to prefer it, or whether it's just to cover their backs. So, in itself, not suspicious. The envelope coming back undelivered is a bit weird, but it's got a lot of hands to pass through and maybe some are better at reading handwriting than others? Since it did come back, I'd definitely enquire about a digital signature, or an alternate address at least.

Are you talking about including the same story in your self-published collection? Because I completely understand why that's a no from them, since you've almost certainly signed an agreement to let hem publish it exclusively, at least for a certain amount of time.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I would be very annoyed if a publisher insisted on a hard copy signature as I live in New Zealand so it would be a huge pain. I've never had that problem with anyone I've written for. The Gallery Books thing sounds pretty cool though.

Last edited:

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
I was thinking of submitting to this publishing press - has anyone had any experience in the past year? :)

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Quick question about one of their FAQs answers:

"Because of the significant investment of resources that we make in producing our exceptionally high-quality books (see our rigorous editing process described below), we retain all rights."

Does this mean they have the rights to the books they publish forever, and not the standard 3 - 6 years I've been seeing in other publishers' websites? Is that...normal?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
My guess would be that they keep all distribution rights when they contract a book--foreign language, film/TV/media, etc.--rather than just print and e-book rights. But that language seems unclear, and I'd definitely clarify before signing with them.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
My guess would be that they keep all distribution rights when they contract a book--foreign language, film/TV/media, etc.--rather than just print and e-book rights. But that language seems unclear, and I'd definitely clarify before signing with them.

I sent a Tweet asking which email (they have multiple, but none for general info) to send a question about their publishing FAQ. Will update what they send me as a response to that rights part as soon as I get a reply! :)

The Gipper

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a Tweet asking which email (they have multiple, but none for general info) to send a question about their publishing FAQ. Will update what they send me as a response to that rights part as soon as I get a reply! :)

Did you ever get a response to that Tweet? I'm not sure what's going on with this publisher. They put out a call for submissions at their Facebook page in early May, but since then have only posted twice on the FB page - about February releases. Their Tweets are mostly about older releases - and there's one saying "check out our new YouTube videos" when the most recent video was posted 2 years ago. Their staff page makes it look like they're operating with a skeleton crew: http://omnificpublishing.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1&chapter=2. I'd be wary.