"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
What's yours about?

You might be shocked to learn it's a YA horror. This time around, a group of friends visits an abandoned wild west theme park -- and, on the way over, befriend a pair of girls who join them after the MC helps one girl ward off the attentions of a guy being a creep. Unfortunately, the creep and his friends follow them to the park. Even more unfortunately, the park is also very much haunted.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Are you doing it, BG?

I'm doing it, but I'm not really feeling it. I decided to rewrite a short story into a novel. I'm not sure how it will work. I have the feeling that I should just let the short story be the beginning of the novel up to a certain point and then deviate from that point. On the other hand, I may have ended the short story when I did due to logistics that might make continuing the story beyond that point impossible. Or might take it to a totally different place than I had expected.

As it is, I've tried to rewrite the scenes from the short and add things into it, but I think that keeps me from really feeling like I'm writing something special because I'm torn between words I wrote before and words I'm writing now.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
All right, decided this wasn’t working for me when I stopped writing yesterday (I was making a decision of where to go from there) & turned to reading an old NaNo project I abandoned on day 20 that year. I had more fun reading those characters (who I would’ve told you at the time I was horrible at writing) than I did reading the short in preparation for NaNo. I think I like the idea of Little Gifts/Lesbian Space Gypsies/Girls Falling from the Stars than I actually like the characters that came out of it.

I got up & wrote ~250 words of the Ice In Her Veins story, which isn’t much, but feels like something I can run away with. I’m too married to GFftS in short form to deviate from it. IiHV is also from a short, but it’s like 300 words, more concept than solid story. My opening doesn’t want to borrow anything but the first line (& even that I changed).

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you've been busy, at least, Sage.

I'm not really doing it (probably), but I am using it as motivation to finish a rewrite. I started the month at 15K, and had another 70K to revise/rewrite. So far I've gotten about 7.5K done.

ETA I say probably because I definitely have the projects in the pipeline that I could use to do it properly. I just really want to finish this rewrite. But we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sage

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I might have just made a big mistake--at least as far as trying to stay focused on finishing revisions/rewrite goes. I decided to try and clear out my Google Drive, and went into a folder I'd called "Back Burner." There's a lot of pretty decent stuff there, some of which I'm now itching to either work on or expand from a short story to a full novel. ... What was I thinking? *faceplam*

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I have to stay focused. And I love this story. It's a good story, and it's SO close to being there. I can tuck all those little nuggets back into the back of my brain; they'll still be there in a month, right?

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
At 35,348. Last year, I was at 44,037 yesterday.

In other words, it's going okay, but not as good as last year. Can't complain too much, though.

The story itself is hard to judge. Probably have too much going on.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
I didn’t do NaNo, but I’m at 19.5 K with a brief intermission for COVID round two. Hopefully, the voices in my head will quit coughing soon go back to just arguing.

Best wishes to all for the remainder of the holiday season. Gramps

• Hug
Reactions: Nether and Sage

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn’t do NaNo, but I’m at 19.5 K with a brief intermission for COVID round two. Hopefully, the voices in my head will quit coughing soon go back to just arguing.
Yick! Sending good-karma and virtual-antivirals your way.

I'm one of the very few people I know who hasn't had COVID yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
While I don't think I've had COVID, it's impossible to be sure since people can be asymptomatic. At this point, I think maybe 1/10 people I know have tested positive for COVID at some point, which is still a pretty high number.

Otherwise, my holidays haven't been productive because I tend to drag my feet more when it comes to the editing process. However, I'm committed to finishing a full round of revisions, edits, etc, on X-Mas slasher before starting to write something new... although the siren's song of a new work is constant.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
While I don't think I've had COVID, it's impossible to be sure since people can be asymptomatic. At this point, I think maybe 1/10 people I know have tested positive for COVID at some point, which is still a pretty high number.

Otherwise, my holidays haven't been productive because I tend to drag my feet more when it comes to the editing process. However, I'm committed to finishing a full round of revisions, edits, etc, on X-Mas slasher before starting to write something new... although the siren's song of a new work is constant.
I like the Gieco commercial with the masked dude watching the teenagers hide in the shed with all the chainsaws. Every time I see your book mentioned I think of the commercial. Best wishes on the editing process.

Reactions: Nether

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Yick! Sending good-karma and virtual-antivirals your way.

I'm one of the very few people I know who hasn't had COVID yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.
I'm a unicorn too. But I was pretty much locked up with my elderly dad for three years too before he passed in November from cancer. Only went out (masked) for grocery shopping and walks. And demanded that anyone entering the house be masked (can you believe I had to tell paramedics on two occasions??? Lord love a duck...)

I'm in Toronto with my son for the holidays before heading home to Holland. I wore an N95 with a cloth mask over top for the two-hour flight from Thunder Bay. Doable, but I'm right nervous about the flight from Toronto to London in a couple of weeks. Seven hours masked like that? Then it's a Eurostar to Rotterdam but I booked a 1st-class seat and it's only three hours so...just crossing fingers I can get home unscathed!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I’d done really well not getting COVID (I test a lot, so I’m pretty sure I hadn’t) until last month when it finally got me.

Those symptoms were pretty mild, though, (probably thanks to the booster I had gotten 2 weeks before) compared to whatever I have right now, which just settled into my chest :e2bummed:

Jazz Club

It's not wrong, it's dialect
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had COVID, unless I was asymptomatic. I've been pretty lucky. A lot of people I know have had it, sometimes more than once.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had COVID, unless I was asymptomatic. I've been pretty lucky. A lot of people I know have had it, sometimes more than once.
My son had it (he thinks) way in the beginning, March 2020...and it knocked him out for six weeks, with every orifice affected, poor guy.

He's extra careful now, working in retail, N95 mask...and has avoided it since then.

Reactions: Jazz Club

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I've had it twice, both times this year and both times were like a mild cold, thankfully. Had it the week before Christmas, the last time, but I tested negative a few days before Christmas Day itself and I didn't pass it on to anyone else in the household. Phew!

I'm up to date with all my boosters - about four so far, I think - and my antibodies have been consistently high in the test results I get back from a study/survey I'm part of.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I managed to not get it until the week before I was supposed to move. My dad brought it back with him from a trip to Denmark (probably exposed at one of the airports on the way home). He wouldn't share his licorice, but he shared that. I was completely out for a week, and then had three days to get my house packed up and moved--while still being completely wiped out from the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.