"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am so not prepared for NaNo. I miss writing in Ohio.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't prepared because I wasn't thinking about it, really. I had been more involved in Halloween things, and didn't do much prep. All my pre-November excitement for the novel was back in July. I had opportunity to plot while doing microscope work at work this week, so I'm feeling better prepared right now.

Ohio had my writing friends and my writing places. I lived alone for many years, and even when I had a roommate, she rarely was an annoyance when it came to writing. I could always find a spot that was dark and quiet to write. I also had a lot of writing cafes and libraries that I could visit depending on time and my mood. Every Thursday, I would meet with my writers' group, and if we weren't writing, they at least were eager to discuss the novel. I realize that this year and the last, all events were virtual, but I miss the write-ins in Ohio, not having found one as productive or in as an appealing a location in San Diego even before the pandemic.

And my parents, who I live with, do not understand how annoying it is to be interrupted while I work. They want to be part of it...without actually being a part of it. So that just means, saying something inconsequential as they walk by so that I have to turn off my noise-blocking headphones to ask them what they said, or turning on a light when I've made it dark to block out other stimuli. And unfortunately, the only comfortable place to work in the whole house is the dining room, where my dad has covered the entire table in his toys and where my mom has to pass to get to the patio so she can smoke (then bring the smell into my workspace, grr). Anyway, I just miss having spaces to write.

Of course, never mind the 3 years I spent on the road writing. That was a writing paradise, really. Writing on the plane. Writing while "watching" water flow through a filter for 3+ hours. Writing alone in my hotel room. Writing at restaurants. Plotting while driving. It was the best :)

• Hug
Reactions: MaeZe

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Ohio had my writing friends and my writing places. I lived alone for many years, and even when I had a roommate, she rarely was an annoyance when it came to writing. I could always find a spot that was dark and quiet to write. I also had a lot of writing cafes and libraries that I could visit depending on time and my mood. Every Thursday, I would meet with my writers' group, and if we weren't writing, they at least were eager to discuss the novel. I realize that this year and the last, all events were virtual, but I miss the write-ins in Ohio, not having found one as productive or in as an appealing a location in San Diego even before the pandemic.
Can you (re)join the Ohio writing group via Zoom or something?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
...And my parents, who I live with, do not understand how annoying it is to be interrupted while I work. They want to be part of it...without actually being a part of it. So that just means, saying something inconsequential as they walk by so that I have to turn off my noise-blocking headphones to ask them what they said, or turning on a light when I've made it dark to block out other stimuli. And unfortunately, the only comfortable place to work in the whole house is the dining room, where my dad has covered the entire table in his toys and where my mom has to pass to get to the patio so she can smoke (then bring the smell into my workspace, grr). Anyway, I just miss having spaces to write.

Of course, never mind the 3 years I spent on the road writing. That was a writing paradise, really. Writing on the plane. Writing while "watching" water flow through a filter for 3+ hours. Writing alone in my hotel room. Writing at restaurants. Plotting while driving. It was the best :)
This makes me very grateful I live by myself. Of course, on top of being super supportive of my writing, my dad gets the importance of not being interrupted when you're in the middle of a project, so it wasn't too bad when I was at home-- other than my cat liking to plop himself down on my keyboard every time I'd start to get into a project (the cats all stayed with my dad because I can't have a pet here).

I do a TON of driving with my job now. I should try plotting instead of singing along to my music.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I do a TON of driving with my job now. I should try plotting instead of singing along to my music.
I mean, I literally do both at the same time. Listening to music & finding inspiration in the words *is* how I plot while driving ;)

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I literally do both at the same time. Listening to music & finding inspiration in the words *is* how I plot while driving ;)
There's a difference between listening and belting/jamming out with my show tunes and boy bands. One can be very conducive to the creative process. The other not so much. It's just fun. 😁

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I got signed up to work tomorrow, so I only get one day off this week, and half of that day is going to be spent doing quartet rehearsal.

I can't skip rehearsal because I missed 2 weeks last month due to illness, and I just told them all off for prioritizing Christmas over contest songs (commitments to Christmas shows made without me :mad:), so I can't be the slacker who doesn't want to rehearse now. I specifically told them we couldn't commit to Christmas until we found out about whether contest was happening, and now we're committed to both.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Sage, that's irritating.

You know how they say things come in threes? Apparently in my family they come in four. A couple of weeks ago one of my brothers got hit on his motorcycle. Just over a week ago my dad's car threw a rod and it went through the oil pan, which made the oil drain out and the engine seize up in like a minute. A week ago my other brother hit a deer and totaled his car. Last night I got rear-ended on the freeway and was stuck in the ER until almost midnight. Oh, and my beloved tank (a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis) was totaled.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried writing an academic research paper/lit review while dealing with a major case of post concussion syndrome? If so, I am so very sorry. If not, I'm jealous.

Jeff N.

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this topic and thought, "Wow, that would be really interesting." Then I read the last page of the texts. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. It is just a chatty thread that could have all been done in direct messages.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is a chatty thread that has had four incarnations before it. There was a "Teens Writing for Teens" thread (also chatty), and this was actually a tongue-in-cheek answer to that, which has turned out to outlast the original, probably because the original Twifties are no longer teens. Look around, there are plenty of chatty threads throughout the subforums of AW. Some come and go as people gain or lose interest, and some are staples of the subforum. If that's not your cup of tea, no need to read them.

Naturally, you are free to start your own thread on whatever you perceived the topic of thread to be if you feel the topic would be interesting.

ETA: Rereading the last few pages and, ironically, we actually were talking about writing a lot :ROFL: That's not always true.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaeZe and Netz

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I have one more day to vacation! We're taking a cruise, and I have a room to myself, and I'm really looking forward to having the space to myself, and really the whole ship to escape to if I need a change of scenery. I have a verandah, and I have fond memories of reading my Kindle on the balcony of the last cruise. (And beta reading for Netz on the Lido deck while drinking milkshakes and looking up at some dolphins that were swimming nearby). I love a good writing vacation, and this seems like the best. As long as I don't spend all my time at the spa.

Reactions: MaeZe

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this topic and thought, "Wow, that would be really interesting." Then I read the last page of the texts. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. It is just a chatty thread that could have all been done in direct messages.
Re: your signature section: You can get your name (maybe even cyber gender) changed. Just message AW Admin about your dilemma.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I have one more day to vacation! We're taking a cruise, and I have a room to myself, and I'm really looking forward to having the space to myself, and really the whole ship to escape to if I need a change of scenery. I have a verandah, and I have fond memories of reading my Kindle on the balcony of the last cruise. (And beta reading for Netz on the Lido deck while drinking milkshakes and looking up at some dolphins that were swimming nearby). I love a good writing vacation, and this seems like the best. As long as I don't spend all my time at the spa.
Enjoy the cruise while I hate you for it.

You ever thought about joining the "Writing Excuses Cruise Masterclasses"?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
How did NaNo go for anyone who did it? I'm thinking I might try to do one in December, just because I'll have more time and (hopefully) more energy.

In unrelated stuff, procrastination is the bane of my existence, especially when I forget to factor in I'm not performing at my usual levels right now because of post concussion syndrome from that accident. Even so, I did manage to write my big term paper (a 13-15 page lit review with a minimum of 6 sources) last night. I may have been up until 4am doing it, but it got done.

Status
Not open for further replies.