Oh...hi there!

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! My name's Riley and I'm new to this whole thing. Writing, forums, interacting with folks online. The last time I did that was in my prime tumblr days (2012-2018) and no one wants to go back there. *shivers*

I like to write fantasy (and am currently working on a series with a few books finished—one currently being queried to a plethora of rejections) but right now I am prepping to work on a new story for NaNoWriMo and it is...drumroll...scifi. Veyr out of character for me. The most scifi I have interest in is Doctor Who, Marvel, and recently Gideon the Ninth. So, wish me luck!

Is anyone else doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Reactions: Izz and Nether

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome.

The last time I did that was in my prime tumblr days (2012-2018) and no one wants to go back there. *shivers*

Huh. Didn't realize Tumblr was still big that late, although I never got into it.

I like to write fantasy (and am currently working on a series with a few books finished—one currently being queried to a plethora of rejections)

Best of luck. I can relate to the struggle, since I went ahead and wrote two sequels immediately after finishing a first book, so now I've got three books hinging on the success of one (and plans for many more past that; albeit that series is a YA paranormal -- I have yet to write sequels for any of the fantasy manuscripts I've drafted so far)

Is anyone else doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Possibly. Depends on when I finish drafting the current novel.

Reactions: rileyariel

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, Riley! It's nice to meet you :)

You'll love AW, I'm sure. The forums are large and can be overwhelming at first but if you take it in at your own pace you'll feel at home soon enough. There's more information here regarding all things writing and publishing than you can shake a stick at, and an awesome community of likeminded folk to help you get around.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will help you understand the forum rules, plus the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within, as well as help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

You might find our Science Fiction | Fantasy room a nice place to start exploring from, and our NaNoWriMo subforum is about to get hella busy once again. Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome.

Huh. Didn't realize Tumblr was still big that late, although I never got into it.

Best of luck. I can relate to the struggle, since I went ahead and wrote two sequels immediately after finishing a first book, so now I've got three books hinging on the success of one (and plans for many more past that; albeit that series is a YA paranormal -- I have yet to write sequels for any of the fantasy manuscripts I've drafted so far)

Possibly. Depends on when I finish drafting the current novel.
As far as I know, Tumblr is actually still pretty active. Just very different in each of its eras. I was there in the age of the fandom wars, hence why I am not on the site any longer. And yes, same boat about the sequels. It makes it a bit more stressful doesn't it? The problem is I just can't stop my brain from wanting to expand one story into a universe of stories. Fortunately, it's fun to write even if no one ever wants to buy it.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Riley! It's nice to meet you :)

You'll love AW, I'm sure. The forums are large and can be overwhelming at first but if you take it in at your own pace you'll feel at home soon enough. There's more information here regarding all things writing and publishing than you can shake a stick at, and an awesome community of likeminded folk to help you get around.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will help you understand the forum rules, plus the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within, as well as help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

You might find our Science Fiction | Fantasy room a nice place to start exploring from, and our NaNoWriMo subforum is about to get hella busy once again. Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz
Thank you! Good to know. I will definitely head over to those boards!