Official Word Count Thread - NaNo 2022

Nether

may be visiting an abandoned theme park
Registered
Reaction score
Day 21 was 1,519 words, bringing me to 47,957.

Bit of a down day. Came up a bit short on the early session and then for various reasons was short on the late session, too.

Although part of it was also because I stumbled a little. Finally decided that it did make more sense to reveal something now, but I think I might have the sequence out of order (or handled differently). Kinda getting around that, though, by having the antagonist lie about how the accident happened to make it sound more innocent -- at which point I don't have to worry about the initial story sounding plausible because that story is complete bullcrap and what actually happened was what I intended to have happen. (And this way the character who witnessed it can still have a cliffhanger chapter ending when she starts to explain what really happened.)

SinkingHell

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18-20: 0
Day 21: 2010
Day 22: 2434

Total: 34 554

Felt bad skipping three days, but the work holiday was filled with so much activities that i could not find any time to write. And when i did i was exhausted from the activities and socializing that i just wanted to sleep. On Sunday our flight was delayed too, so got home pretty late. On Monday and today i got some decent word counts in. I'm around 2k behind now. I'm thinking of taking a few days off of work to focus on writing more now that we have only 8 days left. It's been really rewarding but i cant wait for it to be over.

The story is also in the hard parts atm. I don't have a clear visual of what the purpose of the chapters are and what stuff i should show there. But i'm just writing as i go and hope it all makes sense in the end. I've been making a lot of notes on how to improve and what to check afterwards for consistency. Kind of a nice feeling that i have a clear view of the overall picture even though the details are giving me a hard time on these slower chapters. I cant wait for the juicy parts!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Day 22: After a few days break, I dove back into novel #2's rewrite of the first chapter. I think I've worked it into a better scene where my character feels older, more justifiably angry with her situation, and makes more sense overall while keeping the parts I need. Had to dump a few lines that I liked, but we all know you gotta kill some darlings. Total count equivalent: 48883

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 22 was 2,035 words, bringing me to 49,992.

I had a productive early session, which compensated for a weaker late session (partly because I started it late, since I got back back late... but mostly procrastinating. Considering I was home at 10pm, there's no reason why I couldn't have quickly ate, taken care of whatever needed doing, and started writing by 10:30 to get that extra half hour... instead of not starting until after 11:10)

Anyway, I came up just shy of hitting 50k words on day 22, but I finished it out shortly into day 23 so I hit the first NaNo target. However, it seems unlikely that I'll finish drafting the entire manuscript in the next 7 days, since Thanksgiving might leave with me with less time than usual.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Nether said:
(...) but I finished it out shortly into day 23 so I hit the first NaNo target.

Catriona Grace said:

cool.gif
High-Five-Smiley.gif
Single-Rose.gif
Single-Rose.gif
Single-Rose.gif

Congratulations! :D

-*-*-*-

I'm actually still working on my NaNo project - earlier today, I moved past 78,000 words. I'm down to the final two scenes plus a book-end framing device that I may or may not end up using. Time will show, I guess.

That's a whole buncha words for what was supposed to be a quick 'n dirty 1940s-style private eye story... oy! Well, never mind, I've had a blast writing it :LOL:

Norsebard

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23 was 2,383 words, bringing to me to 52,375

Kinda iffy on one of today's scenes, since it's mostly the characters witnessing something happen. I'd really meant for the kids themselves to be impacted by that event, but the timing wasn't quite right (and I'm still waffling on a character returning and staying gone).

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Tamlyn said:
Staggering along.

You're alllllll-most there, Tamlyn! Even better, you have plenty of days to get the rest of the way.
flower.gif
flower.gif
flower.gif

-*-*-*-

And I'm done with my story... phew! I wrote scene 45 of 45 earlier today after one of the most productive morning sessions I've ever had - I guess I couldn't wait to write the THE END at the end of the darn thing... :LOL:

The total word count ended at 84,900. I'm pretty sure it'll grow even further out of control once I head off into the editing phase which starts tomorrow morning in the very, very early A.M... ;)

Norsebard

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 24 (aka Thanksgiving) was 2,494 words, bringing me to 54,869

After a long nap, I got a good amount of writing done in the early session and then a smaller amount in the main session before going to bed. So despite visiting relatives over an hour away, I was already close to 2k for the day... but then I got back on the late side, showered, and then procrastinated looking at Black Friday deals, etc, so my late session was short and I didn't get as much done. However, it kinda worked in aggregate.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Day 25: 2189
Total: 48,365

Good day! I wrote The End!

And then I went back and started writing Chapter Twelve and a Half. Hopefully it will be a full chapter, and so that'll help get me closer to 50k.

Fi Webster

Dec 2 - 5 waxing gibbous moon 🌔
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
The total word count ended at 84,900. I'm pretty sure it'll grow even further out of control once I head off into the editing phase which starts tomorrow morning in the very, very early A.M... ;)

This is why I only did NaNo once, in 2011, and never returned. I loved the social environment of the forums, but I got overexcited and wrote way, way too much. Bloated spirals of words. Overflowing cornucopias of words. A raggedy mess of a draft I never got around to whipping into shape.

But I'm envious of you guys. Maybe next year I should give it another go. Any suggestions for how to avoid the overwriting problem?

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Tamlyn said:
Good day! I wrote The End!

Awesome!
High-Five-Smiley.gif

Fi Webster said:
(...) I loved the social environment of the forums, but I got overexcited and wrote way, way too much. Bloated spirals of words. Overflowing cornucopias of words. A raggedy mess of a draft I never got around to whipping into shape.

But on the other hand, I'll bet you had a great time working on it, right? ;)

From my perspective as a non-professional writer, the joy of creating is really all that matters. A good portion of the free stories I upload to the online archive(s) fall into the 70+ K-Words range, and they usually take me about three weeks to write plus another two weeks to self-edit before I send 'em to my Beta.

My output is typically eight to ten stories like that each year plus another handful of shorter works for Valentine's Day, Halloween, et cetera - and, quite frankly, I couldn't be happier :)

Any suggestions for how to avoid the overwriting problem?

Well, I don't have any... :)

Norsebard

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help, sorry, as I definitely underwrite rather than overwrite. Maybe a detailed outline?

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 25 was 2,579 words, bringing me to 57,448

Had a weak early session and then fell asleep early, so I'd started slow (despite having Friday off). However, I wrote a little in the evening (to offset the earlier loss), napped again, and then had an average late session.

Anyway, sleep stole a lot of my time, but I got a certain amount done. Still have 5 more days and a maybe fighting chance to finish the draft before the end of the month. (Not a great chance, but a chance.)

This is why I only did NaNo once, in 2011, and never returned. I loved the social environment of the forums, but I got overexcited and wrote way, way too much. Bloated spirals of words. Overflowing cornucopias of words. A raggedy mess of a draft I never got around to whipping into shape.

But I'm envious of you guys. Maybe next year I should give it another go. Any suggestions for how to avoid the overwriting problem?

If it's just a matter of going overboard on prose, you could probably look for specific things you're doing -- or trim the rest of the novel to accommodate for that.

This is my second NaNo on AW. The 2020 one was before I started coming here and I'd done it without being part of any community. And then I had a bunch of earlier years where I started, got discouraged, and ended early.

Catriona Grace

Keeping it weird
Registered
Reaction score

I'm the other way around. I dislike the forums on NaNo so intensely that I don't go anywhere near them. The word count tracking function is nice, though, and I signed up mainly to have access to it.

Overwriting is only a problem if it is followed by under editing. :cool:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Day 26: 1642

Total: 50,007

Yay! The chapter didn't turn out to be a full chapter, so I just clicked through various chapters, going oh, another bit of detail or line of explanation there would be good, and reached the 50k.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 26 was 5,108 words, bringing me to 62,556

Had a very strong early session, followed by a good main session. Between the two, I was already at 3,298 words, so my natural thought was... "why don't I shoot for 5k today?"

So I wound up adding an late-evening session, which got me up by another 676 words (and, before that, wrote 61 words before breaking for dinner, but the two added up to 737 which brought me to 4,035 which, at that point, was already a great writing day). But then things looked dicey when I decided to take a break so I wouldn't write directly into my late session... which wound up being a much longer break than intended, and didn't leave me as much time for my late session. Although I'd worried about not hitting 5k, I managed to get there.

The last day I broke 5k was (and bear in mind I didn't draft for a month or two)... actually, just 5/23 when I did 5.248. Thought it was longer for some reason. Prior to that, it was 2/3 when I broke 6k.

Anyway, added some cool stuff. Most of it will probably be kept, although I need to trim down some introspection (which I tend to use as a crutch when I don't have another character around for some dialogue).

Still have a bunch of story left. Even if I manage 5k again on Sunday (which isn't super-likely), I probably won't be able to do it on Monday or Tuesday... and I'm still expecting this will run a bit over 80k.

I dislike the forums on NaNo so intensely that I don't go anywhere near them.

I don't think I ever even visited their forums. Or, if I tried to, I got lost.

My sense of direction is relatively limited.

Day 26: 1642

Total: 50,007

Yay! The chapter didn't turn out to be a full chapter, so I just clicked through various chapters, going oh, another bit of detail or line of explanation there would be good, and reached the 50k.

Grats on hitting your 50k.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 27 was 3,003 words, bringing me to 65,559

Had a so-so early session, then fell asleep early, but I made up for it by getting a little extra done in the evening and then the late session (although interrupted0 turned out okay. The whole thing added up better than I thought.

Anyway, considering I didn't hit 5k today -- and may have more story left than anticipated -- it's very unlikely I'll finish the whole thing by the end of the month, but such is life.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
That feel when you've made good progress on edits and cleaning and then realize at the end that the draft you were working off of was outdated because you ended up making your last round of edits on the "draft 2 w/ comments" file instead of the clean Draft 3 one you'd opened. *headdesk* Tempted to give myself the 1667 just because of the effort.