Official Word Count Thread - NaNo 2021

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Day 23: 5396
Total: 42,111

The first few years I did NaNo, I would get one 10k day in the month, at some point when I knew where I was writing (sometimes that was early in the book, sometimes later) (and usually really low word counts the day after). Nowadays, getting 5k is an amazing achievement.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23 - 3,339
Overall - 73,374

I was going to stop a little earlier because I realized I'm closer to finishing my first draft than I thought (since there aren't many events left), but then I felt a little weird about not breaking 3k words when I could just go a little bit further.

I think I'll be finishing the draft tomorrow. I'm not sure if I want to start tweaking the continuity right away, to foreshadow a few things I did later on, or just to make a note of that for revision down the road.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day 24: 1,026
Total: 48,232

That's all for today, as I've prep work to do for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Probably won't get much writing in tomorrow either, but Saturday and Sunday should be (better be, dammit!) all about me and whatever the hell I want to do. ;)

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 24 - 1,168
Overall - 74,542

I ran out of book. Ordinarily, I'd go back and fill a few things in, and make some changes, but I'll likely be revising before long anyway so I'm calling this a finished draft. I wanted to start editing/revising almost immediately (because I'm nearing the end of a set of edits on another manuscript), but I figure I'll give it a few weeks (and just not start editing/revising anything else in the meantime).

I had originally planned the draft to be 75-85k (it's horror, so the genre tends to skew a little shorter). However, the skipping around messed up a bit so this is the first time I've come up a little short on a draft.

Anyway, I've finished NaNo. I'm going to start drafting that Christmas-themed slasher either today or tomorrow, but that's not a NaNo novel. It's kinda funny because the NaNo interface has all of these badges for doing things across a month, but there doesn't seem to be any provision for when people finish earlier. I guess I just don't get those badges? :LOL:

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Day 24: 1723/41,856

Also played my first in-person gig since 2019! I was . . . not used to hearing myself come out of the monitor. I need new strings, a bow rehair, and possibly new hands.

delb0y

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday's numbers:

Day 24: 1152
Total: 47189

I've always been nervous when failing to hit 1667 on any given day. I have this fear that it marks the descent into abandonment. It's a stupid fear. It's happened (the missing that daily target, not the abandonment) seven times this month and I'm still here swinging.

Anyway today I've exceeded 1667 already and it's not yet lunchtime.

Getting close....

Derek

Sage

Hero/Villain / Angel/Demon
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 26: 2585
Total: 55,452

That's where the book ends. I will probably do light edits that hopefully add to the word count since I was hoping for over 60K and have a few scenes that I wrote from both POVs before deciding who to follow. But not today, probably.

ETA: Already added 10 words because I can't help myself :p

Last edited:

delb0y

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was surprisingly hard. Having hit the 50k mark, part of me relaxed thinking things were done, that I'd made it. And yes, for me it was a remarkable achievement that had required discipline and putting many other things aside for the month. But I'd guess I'm only halfway through the first draft, so the journey has barely begun. To keep going, I think was (and will be) even harder. I'm not keeping a specific word count record any more, but I'm delighted that I overcame the concern that everything would grind to a halt, and I wrote a thousand words yesterday, and today (it's only 10:00 am) I've done another 1600. And today's writing was again great fun.

Just need to keep this going forever, basically...

Derek

Last edited:

Krampus Nacht

St. Nicholas and Krampus