Official Press Release (NOTE: Page count now 316)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
Thanks, Ray.

I've done both w/ mine--sent it in the body of the email and as an attachment. Since I've done up a great-looking news release (if I may say so!), I would like to preserve how it looks, but I don't know how to convert to PDF. It's not an option in my Word program.

Can someone please tell me how I can do that?

I believe that you have to have Adobe on your system. When Adobe is installed, you can either do a File, Save As and then select a pdf output. Or if it's installed, you should have a very obvious Adobe button on your menu that you can just press and it saves it as pdf. OR you can drag your word file over your Adobe shortcut and it will save it that way, too.

kim

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kim Gogo said:
I believe that you have to have Adobe on your system.
Adobe ACROBAT, to be specific, or another program that can save a file in PDF format.

Since time is an issue, the quickest and easiest way might be for folks to download a free program like OpenOffice 2.0 which can save files in PDF format. It handles Word documents very well, you should have no trouble opening your existing Word version of the press release and then saving it as a PDF. It's as simple as opening the file, then clicking the PDF button on the main toolbar and saving the file.

The only caveat is that OpenOffice is a big download, in the neighborhood of sixty megabytes. Definitely not for those on dialup. But what you get is a great office suite with a word processor, spreadsheet, vector drawing program and more.

The other option is to send your release to me or someone else who has a program that can create PDF's who'd be willing to do the conversion for you. I'd be happy to do it, just PM me.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to show you ... I opened up my 'template' release in OpenOffice, and this is how it looks. All I had to do was click the PDF button (black arrow) and then 'Save' to get a PDF version with the same file name.

Attachments

• pr-OO.jpg
    pr-OO.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 186

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then, to make sure it converted properly (took about 2 seconds), I opened up the new file in Acrobat Reader, and voila. Looks pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Attachments

• pr-PDF.jpg
    pr-PDF.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 182

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
It's magic, Chunky! Now, what can you do about getting some SOS contributors to "appear" in CT w/ me at Borders the first week of December???
emoteHail.gif

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this sounds good? I'm going to add info about the signing when I have details firmed up, but I'm sending this version to the bookstore.

Sara Spock, a State College, Pennsylvania writer, is among the contributors to Stories of Strength. Her short story "Where the Shrewsbury meets the Atlantic" highlights one man's view of strength. "I'm honored to be included in such a wonderful and inspiring project," says Spock.

ETA: Oh, I'd also like to convince the bookstore to buy the copies for the signing/reading. Any suggestions?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shelagh that was genius. I didn't know we can do that.

meryl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.meryl.net
PR Angle

Talked to a marketing expert who thinks our PR is boring and I can see why he says that -- how many stories have you heard about Katrina and people helping out? How many stories have you heard about a community of writers?

The guy said to take advantage of the fact that I worked to lead a normal life in spite of my hearing loss. To me, it's not a big deal and I don't want to promote myself. But he says the media eats up stories like that.

The best I can think of is perhaps a few releases surrounding specific stories. I'm surprised Wil Wheaton hasn't mentioned the book in his blog. Anyone have bright ideas?

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point, meryl. Personalize it. I'm going to try to incorporate how I finally found the strength to pursue my dream of becoming a writer and how it led to this.

shelagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelaghwatkins.co.uk
meryl said:
Talked to a marketing expert who thinks our PR is boring and I can see why he says that -- how many stories have you heard about Katrina and people helping out? How many stories have you heard about a community of writers?

The guy said to take advantage of the fact that I worked to lead a normal life in spite of my hearing loss. To me, it's not a big deal and I don't want to promote myself. But he says the media eats up stories like that.

The best I can think of is perhaps a few releases surrounding specific stories. I'm surprised Wil Wheaton hasn't mentioned the book in his blog. Anyone have bright ideas?

Hi Meryl,

You made a very good point. Do you know if any of the contributors to SoS suffered because of a natural disaster (earthquake, fire, hurricane damage?)

I know that Jean Marie's friends lost family members on 9/11. Did any other authors go through a similar experience?

It would make the press release more interesting if we could include some information about authors who want to help disaster victims despite their own loss/damage to either their property or their family.

Shelagh

Btw rtilryarms, if you add a page to wikipedia.com you can edit the page and keep it up-to-date with new information.

Last edited:

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not convinced. If any of our own stories of strength were so newsworthy they'd have been news already. More than that, I'm reluctant to elevate ourselves out of the ordinary - I think our being ordinary is our greatest strength - and what would be most inspirational to others. I don't want people to read and say 'oh well of course THEY did something, their background made them want to - WE don't need to budge off our arses though' no no no - I want people to read about what we are doing and say 'if that bunch of ordinary never did anythings got up and helped then I sure can too!'

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alphabet said:
I'm not convinced. If any of our own stories of strength were so newsworthy they'd have been news already. More than that, I'm reluctant to elevate ourselves out of the ordinary - I think our being ordinary is our greatest strength - and what would be most inspirational to others. I don't want people to read and say 'oh well of course THEY did something, their background made them want to - WE don't need to budge off our arses though' no no no - I want people to read about what we are doing and say 'if that bunch of ordinary never did anythings got up and helped then I sure can too!'
Alpha, I don't completely agree. My own essay deals with handling depression, and it was a difficult story for me to submit, because (and I KNOW you understand this) I tend to be very private--and that includes being private w/ my family members. Some of them are going to be reading my essay and finding out for the first time the extent of my personal struggles. The fact that I'm trying to overcome my reticence to help others might be a bit more newsworthy in my local area.

At, least, I hope so, because since I've tried the official news release and have not gotten results, I'm ready to try an alternative--something to personalize the story for my hometown. At worst, we won't get any additional publicity and no one will know I stuck my neck out, anyway!

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track, Shwebb. Something people can connect with. I know what Alpha's getting at, we don't want to put something into our releases or pitches that might create distance rather than close the distance between ourselves and the reader. I don't think that will be a problem though, the anthology is filled from cover to cover with stories people can connect with. We just need to bring that out when talking about the book.

shelagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelaghwatkins.co.uk
My family are full of surprises! I didn't know anything about this until a newspaper arrived in the post this morning with a note from my mother asking if I could find the reason my father was so chuffed! Well I'm chuffed too! Here is the result of one of the seven press releases I sent out. It appeared without anyone from the newspaper (Lancashire Evening Post) contacting me, so maybe there are a few more surprises in the press!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/shelagh/LEP_sos.jpg

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
shelagh,

That is beyond words.

cool

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh heavens!! Nobody said to send photos with the press releases - what a brilliant idea, it really makes it personal doesn't it!!! Congratulations Shelagh, and no wonder your dad is proud of you.

I quite feel like doing a little :banana: myself!

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I passed this by CC before sending it out. I'll list the media sources I've contacted in the appropriate thread.

Joanne D. Kiggins of Economy, Pennsylvania is one of the writers whose work was chosen for Stories of Strength. Her essay “Perseverance” is included in the Strength to Start Over section of the anthology. “I’m honored to have my essay included in such a worthwhile project,” says Joanne. “If my essay is able to help people in need after a tragedy in their life, then my goal in writing has been achieved. For those who have been affected by disaster and those who read Stories of Strength, may they gather strength from all the writers’ works and the means to start over. I hope this project will make Beaver County proud!”

JamieE

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksyoucanclickwith.com

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
I am testing to see if this works... It was orignally posted on the other site....

I've set up the "Absolute Writers Voluntary Group" on the BBC/Lancashire website:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/lancs/...oup/index.phtml

Please visit and, before you leave, add a message on the message board and sign the guestbook. Please tell everyone the title of your contribution to SoS and give a brief synopsis.

Thanks,
Shelagh

Status
Not open for further replies.