October 2022 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to build a long-term writing habit, which can include writing, editing, research, etc. or anything else that supports your writing like self-care or just putting bread on the table.

By sharing your efforts here you'll get some accountability to help boost your motivation. And you'll be part of a community of fellow habit-builders who encourage and support each other!

Feel free to start the month out by stating your goals. You can also chat a little with the other participants as you report in, offering words or encouragement or tips (but please post only once per day to avoid cluttering up the thread). It's up to each person how they wish to participate!

Here are some tips to start you on your path:

Set achievable goalsThis is the most important part of successfully building a habit. Set your goals so that you can reach them more often than not. Hitting a smaller goal will give you a confidence boost and set you up for success the next day, building momentum. A good goal is a little bit challenging but doesn't overwhelm you.

Accept failure and move on – Even with a small goal you'll inevitably fail some days. Don't worry about it. Failure is a natural part of improvement. Try to figure out why it happened and how you can prevent it in the future. Don't stack your goals, but start fresh the next day. Forgive yourself and move on.

Be patient and persistent – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and sometimes you won't notice the progress you're making day-to-day because it happens in tiny increments. Keep at it. Sticking with the habit gets easier with time, but that being said; don't trust it to run on autopilot. It's when you think that you've 'made it' that it's the easiest to stumble. If you keep at it, your progress will be slow and steady, and that's the only type of progress that lasts.

Experiment – Not everything that works for others will work for you, and sometimes what works for you changes with time. Always be ready to mix things up if you're stuck in a rut. Does reward work better than punishment for you? Is it better to get the writing out of the way or to get other stuff done first so you can relax? Do you perhaps need different goals for different days of the week? Do you need skip days? A good habit is one that works for you.

See you in October!

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
Here we go!

1. Improve WIP 1: Whether or not I receive feedback from my beta readers this month, I know I'll find excuses to tweak the story here and there.

2. Rewrite WIP 2: Continuing my revision (which I'm calling a rewriting at this point) of the first book in my series. I'll set up the goal of working on only 2 chapters because I don't want to focus too much on the series this month.

3. Work on the series' bible: Buuut I still need to work on the series' bible. I made important progress in September, but I didn't go as far as I need. So here we are again!

4. Outline WIP 1 Prequel: Sure, WIP 1 might be a complete failure, but I have faith it won't be! Thus, I decided it will be a good idea to actively work on the prequel to publish it not too long after WIP 1. This month, I'd like to have at least a basic outline. It's going to be a novella and I have a notion of most events, so it shouldn't be too laborious. Perhaps I can have a chapter-by-chapter description as well but no promises.

5. Research for WIP 1 Prequel: I started this in September and will continue in October, now in an official capacity.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Alright! October goal time! ...which is probably going to be a lot of previous months' stuff. And I trimmed out some older goals which are either mostly done or possibly moot.

1) Finish drafting MMM. Was at 23.4k as of 9/30, should be able to do it by the end of the month. Hope so, anyway.

2) Pick the new project to read through (BB Worm, Christmas slasher, STMHB, and others are contenders. Also, this was kind of a goal last month)

3) QR that project

4) Maybe start mark-ups?

5) Finish drafting "SAPS" and/or "D2G." Not sure which will be faster.

While I want to get a bunch of revision/editing done in October, I don't want it to interfere with MMM or derail me from NaNo next month.

September goals

1) Finish marking up MMCC/MP. Right now, I'm a bit over halfway done. Only hiccup is that I'm planning on drafting a new project. I'll try to find a way to juggle both. (Finished.)

2) Finish outlining MMM. Hopefully by the end of the weekend. (I mean... I kinda-sorta did? After a certain amount of outlining, I just started it. Although I have a good idea of what's going to happen, I still need to plan out some details to close it out.)

3) Start drafting MMM, with the goal of finishing before November (Started and on track)

4) Pick another project to edit (Kinda have this one listed in October's, too)

5) I guess beta something? I know I have specific titles as prior goals.

August goals

1) Finish the first and second pass on RRWARB (Mostly finished -- just have to do the continuity fixes. Crossing it off since mostly done)

2) Re-do RRWARB query (nope)

3) Re-do RRWARB synopsis. (Didn't get around to it)

4) RDIAA (supervillain book) query (Did it, but will revise)

5) RDIAA synopsis (Did an early version)

6) Re-do HHH query (Nope)

7) Re-do HHH synopsis (Nope)

And, with any luck, I've have RRWARB ready to beta by the end of the month... at which point it can sit on the stack of other things I need to beta.

July Goals

2) Start working on Formantasy. Will be trying out a new approach. (No real progress -- possibly moving away from this)

3) Start plotting out Money Magic. Was thinking about it today, although the core idea was probably around for a while. (Still nothing. Not sure how much I care about this.)

June Goals

3) Getting a lot further along with planning/outlining Formantasy (tentative title). I might wind up doing an expanding thick outline for this. It'll throw off my daily word counts when I go to write it, though. (No major updates. -- possibly moving away from this)

4) Find some younger reader hangouts to... well, hang out in. And try to connect with some YA micro-influencers / influencers for feedback and guidance. More for learning the space and trends, to make sure I'm querying (and even editing) effectively. (Still need to do)

May Goals

May8) Start an agent list. The goal is more the format than the quantity of agents at this point. (Still zero progress)

And then obviously my goal of finding beta readers for book 7 still needs to be done, after I finish the second pass on the edits. (Finished the pass the OTHER, other month, haven't found the betas.)

April Holdovers

Ideally I'll have something ready to query in May, but who knows. (Still didn't happen. Now starting October and I haven't done this.)

March Holdovers

M6) Probably start looking for beta readers for book 7. I'm less sure about when I'll do this, given it's dependent on #3 & #4 (Haven't started. Need to get on that.)

February holdovers

F2) I need to create some additional back-up sources for my manuscripts. Right now I'm sending copies to a few email addresses, and I have a thumb drive. I need a physical storage held elsewhere, and some additional email addresses. (Still working on it, but again I've made progress.)

January holdovers:

J1) Apply the book 4 edits. (Haven't got around to... again)

J3) Start the read-through & revision/edits for STMHB (Delayed, since I'm doing RRWARB next... and then probably MMCC -- crossing this off since it's somewhat not currently relevant)

J4) The idea list for that YA series. It'd been marked as a maybe for last month, so not getting around to this one last month was less of an issue. I might just use a Saturday or Sunday to comb through ideas and brainstorm concepts (Although I need a larger list, I have a few ideas to keep me busy... and I'm kinda tempted to tie the overall into RRWARB, but I'd need a thematic justification for the "preview")

LaurieDelancey

a magpie mind
Registered
Reaction score
For October, I want to:
1. Finish draft 2 of CK.
2. Post Chapter 1 for crit.
3. Come up with an outline for my NaNoWriMo idea.
4. Not put my head through a wall in frustration.

Pretty basic.

Past goals:

September goals:
In September, I want to:

1. Get in a solid 1K per day, a very doable number.
2. Finish my first draft, which is at about the 80 percent mark.
3. Revise Chapter 1 enough to post for crit. (Revised, not posted.)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Haven't written yet today, other than a blog post. I'm trying to revive my one blog. I'll do some longhand after dinner. I haven't gotten back to the series yet. That'll be tomorrow. I need to focus on dealing with my procrastination issues as well as writing, so my check-ins may be sporadic from here on out.

And now, as promised, the ending of the side project:

The wife, possessing the body of the zombie hunter's daughter, finishes her story at last and uploads her authentic version to the Internet. She has a moment with her husband and then she's gone into the afterlife. It's never really explained who or what made all this possible--some god or gods or universal power or whatever. It was clearly a fan of creative artists, that everybody agrees on. (I'm voting for Odin. The Norse gods were suckers for a rollicking good tale.)

The gang hangs around and gets to know the writer. The PI has some issues with him, but those get cleared up. They stay overnight, and the next morning discover the writer has died peacefully in his sleep. Gone to be with his wife. With the story complete and the writers dead, why are they still in the real world?

That gets answered when somebody cuts themselves and bleeds red blood instead of black ink. Probably the caveman, messing around in the kitchen. A final gift from whatever power kicked this off in the first place: true existence in the real world. They're no longer at the mercy of any writer's whims; they can live their own lives now.

The epilogue offers the wrapup. The editor never got to sign with the company; they bypassed him by doing their own knockoff versions of the characters he owns. He leaves Paoli and moves back to Delaware and into obscurity. The witch hunter and the caveman take over the house in Lancaster County. Ed the mercenary becomes security, consultant, motion capture actor and overall den father to his writer's nephew who, with some buddies from college, start a video gaming company. Ed also does part-time leg work for the PI, tracking down missing persons. The PI and the daughter move into the writer's old house in Philadelphia, where the daughter writes scripts for the nephew's games while pursuing her own novel career. She and the PI get married at the court house, just like their "parents" did. And they all live happily ever after. Why not? Even Twilight Zone had a happy ending every now and then. :D

SWoodham

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to build a long-term writing habit, which can include writing, editing, research, etc. or anything else that supports your writing like self-care or just putting bread on the table.

By sharing your efforts here you'll get some accountability to help boost your motivation. And you'll be part of a community of fellow habit-builders who encourage and support each other!

Feel free to start the month out by stating your goals. You can also chat a little with the other participants as you report in, offering words or encouragement or tips (but please post only once per day to avoid cluttering up the thread). It's up to each person how they wish to participate!

Here are some tips to start you on your path:

Set achievable goalsThis is the most important part of successfully building a habit. Set your goals so that you can reach them more often than not. Hitting a smaller goal will give you a confidence boost and set you up for success the next day, building momentum. A good goal is a little bit challenging but doesn't overwhelm you.

Accept failure and move on – Even with a small goal you'll inevitably fail some days. Don't worry about it. Failure is a natural part of improvement. Try to figure out why it happened and how you can prevent it in the future. Don't stack your goals, but start fresh the next day. Forgive yourself and move on.

Be patient and persistent – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and sometimes you won't notice the progress you're making day-to-day because it happens in tiny increments. Keep at it. Sticking with the habit gets easier with time, but that being said; don't trust it to run on autopilot. It's when you think that you've 'made it' that it's the easiest to stumble. If you keep at it, your progress will be slow and steady, and that's the only type of progress that lasts.

Experiment – Not everything that works for others will work for you, and sometimes what works for you changes with time. Always be ready to mix things up if you're stuck in a rut. Does reward work better than punishment for you? Is it better to get the writing out of the way or to get other stuff done first so you can relax? Do you perhaps need different goals for different days of the week? Do you need skip days? A good habit is one that works for you.

See you in October!

I am revising my novel, but was in a small group that wasn't working for me. I connected with a potential CP that seems like a better fit. He's escaping a hurricane. Hopefully that will help getting on track for regular sections being finished. I have some technical questions I'm working out I hope we can discuss.

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
So far 7 pomodoros today.

A lot of clerical work done. I'm in the process of moving digital (at least a hybrid), which ends up being even more backups and things of that nature. Made a new Kanban board for the file pipeline organization. Digitized files that needed to be digitized, monthly review/projection, target realignment since my shots were off last month. Low productivity last month, hoping to do better this month, setting it to about half crunch speed so I don't burn myself out. Book 2, got a new scene list printed out on paper that doesn't bleed with a fountain pen.

Todo: Finish book 1 audio check. Book 2, draft 1 progress the week or so after.

Last edited:

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
Day 1:

Did some research on Hera. She was the Olympian I knew the least about, so it was quite an enlightening day - let me tell you, the woman is powerful! Also gave me some nice ideas to complement one of the MCs for WIP 1P since she's a Guardian of Hera. Other than mythology, I also explored a bit about Welsh folk music, taking the opportunity to listen to some Cerdd Dant.

Speaking of the prequel, inspiration stroke me and I wrote the first three pages. It was more to have a feel of the story since I still need to write the outline. But it was fun!

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1 was 1,569 words to MMM.

Fell asleep early last night, so I lost out on writing time... and then didn't get to the rest of today's until the end of the day.

Wrote the first attack scene, when the MC and his BFF see a mannequin come to life. And they witness a friend in trouble.

On a happier note, what I'm working on now involves the MC fainting so I can *finally* work in a nightmare sequence. I was beginning to think this would be the first book in the YA series without a nightmare sequence.

On a less-happy note, I was struggling to remember the order I'd written these YA books. After number 3, it's a bit of a blur. Turns out I forgot the one with more of an urban fantasy vibe.

It's never really explained who or what made all this possible--some god or gods or universal power or whatever.

Boo! Unsatisfying! Unsatisfying!

books_are_amazing

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and not an author (although I'd love to be), I just write as a hobby.
My goals for October 2022
1. Finish writing 2 chapters in a book I'm writing (NF)
2. Start possible fiction novel (write 300-500 words)
3. Writing on Saturdays from 5-7:30 weekly.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and not an author (although I'd love to be), I just write as a hobby.
My goals for October 2022
1. Finish writing 2 chapters in a book I'm writing (NF)
2. Start possible fiction novel (write 300-500 words)
3. Writing on Saturdays from 5-7:30 weekly.
Please because I love you already, please go and start a whole thread in this Newbies page so I can follow your progress.

And never never say fiction novel again - because all novels are fiction. But I'm so glad you're here! I have known the glory of a Sat 5:00-7.30 writing availability, and you don't get better than that. It means you learn to get all your thinking thought through before the writing starts and you only have time for one coffee. (When you're old and retired and have all the time you ever wished you would have to write, you will so so wish you had that 5:00-7.30... ;) )

Last edited:

books_are_amazing

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, haha, YA novel then. I am a very beginner writer so I really appreciate that. Lol.

For the 5:00-7:30pm writing availability, I think I realize that is unrealistic for me. And I really want more than one coffee. 🙃

Maybe just work on a brainstorm each Saturday for this month...

You're so friendly. Thank you so much for your advice. :) :)
Please because I love you already, please go and start a whole thread in this Newbies page so I can follow your progress.

And never never say fiction novel again - because all novels are fiction. But I'm so glad you're here! I have known the glory of a Sat 5:00-7.30 writing availability, and you don't get better than that. It means you learn to get all your thinking thought through before the writing starts and you only have time for one coffee. (When you're old and retired and have all the time you ever wished you would have to write, you will so so wish you had that 5:00-7.30... ;) )

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
Heeeeeere's Lea!

I'm terrible with these threads these days.

Anyway, I've kicked off October by submitting my Summer Sisyphus entry and starting a second round of beta reading which is exciting! I also emailed my Sisyphus entry to someone I know which I've been so anxious about doing but I mentioned the Sisyphus and they asked to read it. Didn't sleep all night. Now sat here wondering if their praise is just because they're family and trying to be nice... even though it matched the beta reader's comments. Good old impostor syndrome I suppose.

In terms of my own WIP, nothing has been achieved today but there's been other writing stuff done so it's a win in my eyes.

October's goals are to keep on truckin' and aim to get some WIP written that moves it on rather than dipping into future books.

LaurieDelancey

a magpie mind
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2:

CK Draft 2:
Cut and combined scenes in chapters 10, 11, and 12 into what is now chapters 10 & 11. Chapter 11 is going to be a rewrite nightmare, because my notes are vague AF and I need to literally go back and mini-outline it again to ensure I know wtf I am doing and how it fits the plot. I lost about 2K words over the last 3 days from the ms just from cuts of scenes I didn't need; I began this with an 89K-word ms and I'm currently at 87K after both major cuts and sizable additions, so if I keep going at the current rate, I will have room to expand Act 3 as it needs without going past 100K.

Anyone got a Magic Pacing Meter handy?

NaNoWriMo idea: I have a story idea on the shelf, but I don't know if it's workable yet. I'm tempted to just use a random plot generator and see how far I can go off that, but with my luck it would come up with something I hate.

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
8 pomodoros today mostly done in the morning, just after midnight. Clerical mostly, queried for a bit. I was rather distraught about having to do it for a while. The entire process is disheartening. I also organized my digital archive and sent them to their proper destinations. In the past day or so, I finally set myself up with a proper email address. I already owned the domain, and I got Proton Drive to store files, so I set it up. Oh, and I altered my website a little. Still a little digitization to go, lost a power chart somewhere along the lines. My guess is that it's filed away in the Series Bible. Sure hope I find that because I organized the hell out of it. Tomorrow, back to progress of my audio check read-through or clean up and restart drafting book 2 act 1. I had to reset my targets the other day because I missed them last month. Though because of the past 24 hours, I'm almost caught up with where I should have been a few days ago. May get another pomodoro or two in before midnight, but my husband is already mad at me for working on a Sunday as it is lol.

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
Day 2:

I worked a wee bit more on the prequel's outline and the main characters. By breaking the story into beats, I was able to fill the gap in the beginning. Now, I believe I know everything that needs to happen in the story, just need to keep working on the chapter outline to fill in the details and make sure the whole thing is as consistent as it seems.

Also researched Welsh festivals, and decided to include Calan Gaeaf in the story. It's basically Halloween, but it has some nice things that are specific to the culture. One thing I found really fun is how people write their names on stones and place them around the village's bonfire. If your stone is still there in the morning, lucky you! If not... well, start saying your goodbyes x)

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
New month, yay! I didn't hate September (it's my favorite month, weather-wise), but it hated my schedule. I didn't post here in the last week, but I was getting things done on WIP1, mostly developmental. I got in over 2800 words last weekend, and I worked solidly today (Sunday) on development, so this plan of going a bit harder on the weekends and lighter during the week might work for a while.

Sept goals: I didn't meet most of them. Bummer. I read more than two books, but I can't remember if any were on my TBR list (usually the less-fun but important things I feel I should read to learn about x subject or familiarize myself with y author)

October goals:
  • Work on one of the WIPs a few days each week, with fuller immersion one day/week
  • Read two books, including 1 on my TBR list
  • Meet with my writer's group at least once
  • Check in here at least twice a week

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2 was 2,380 words.

Kinda-crap writing day. I had a solid early session -- 1,554 -- which I expected would turn into something huge, but I skipped my main session, then -- despite it being a Sunday -- didn't do much writing during the day to make up for it, and finally a migraine impeded progress during my late session.

Still, it wasn't a completely awful day. Got a bunch of stuff in.

The nightmare sequence turned out fine, although there might be an issue later on. Rather than jump directly to the MC and BFF returning to explore something, I added another close call because... I don't know, the scene seemed to call for it. And, in doing so, I briefly toyed with the idea of a sacrifice but remembered it'd clash with the one I have planned for later (which feels more meaningful anyway).

Not 100% sure whether I want to introduce evidence of a plastic-worshiping satanic cult on the upper floor or wait until the basement. I need to start revealing some of the possible campy causes for this soon.

And, on a largely unrelated note, I still need to come up with a NaNo project idea. That probably should've been in my monthly goals.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Late again...

Well, I was right I did not manage the whole of Act 2 in September. Not even close, actually.
I wanted chapters 15-20 all drafted but only managed to complete 16 and 19. The others are in a better state than they were and I did make a start on the mess that chapter 22 turned into a few months back so it wasn't all bad. But I am way behind where I wanted to be and not likely to catch up now and it's just making me depressed.

I spent a lot of the past weekend looking at my plan for the rest of the year, then back at Scrivener, trying to compose this post and not really coming up with anything. So I'm going to try and scrub all expectations of when this book will be finished and try to think more in terms of it just being more finished. So, taking inspiration from @Woollybear, my simple goals for October are:

1. Do more of book 1.
2. Keep tidying the series bible.
3. Check in every day here.

Technically I've already failed with #3 but to get me up to date...

Day 1
Had a lovely day ignoring the manuscript of book 1 and instead dove into the series wiki and made the character section a lot prettier.

Day 2
Got the manuscript up to date with all my margin notes from the last week of September and moved a few note files around in act 4 so they were under the right scenes.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
10-2: I have returned from a week in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. While I was there my senses were completely arrested. No writing accomplished (which was fine with me) and my mind may need some time to fully recover. Hoping to begin a new short story but also do some editing. But for now, I’ve got a sore back to nurse. This town boy really got a workout.

SWoodham

Registered
Reaction score
Goals:
Well, I have been looking in vain for some support/ workshops. especially some context to give me practice with some of the omniscient techniques. Every one I know, my friends, all concur that there is zero bias against it. But everyone else out there - have myths about how people hate omniscient. It's frustrating.
Looked through submission opportunities. One that I submitted to Friday can take another story seven days later, so I can submit the second story this Friday. Then I think I'm mostly done, wait for responses and then maybe revisit in the future if neither of them place.

I have an online professional certificate course to catch up on, and finding a home for the dog are the main goals this week. Once I start my new job, if the dog is taken care of, then I hope I can focus on revisions some more.