November is almost here, do you feel ready?

Morgan Morrow

Awkward Bean
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how ready everyone is feeling to get started on Nano

My outline is written and half of my character background sheets are filled out, I hover between impatience to get started and feeling like I need another couple of weeks to brainstorm and tinker.

Reactions: rileyariel

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
My goal for this year is just to finish a work in progress, but I don't feel any more ready. Unlike the past couple of years, I'm working AND have a big commute, which eats up time I had been using when I was working close to home. This is just an excuse, but it's now to the point where I'm trying to decide what I'm going to sacrifice to make enough time. I think it's going to be cooking dinner, which also cuts down on the clean up time, and I'll probably try writing in my lunch break. I can't give up children's homework time, or sleep, and will probably give up some family time in the evenings, but not all. I'm not enthused about any of these arrangements. Someone remind me why we picked a month with both school and a major family holiday to do all this in? I'm beginning to think JuNoWriMo would be easier. But I'm going to try!

Reactions: Morgan Morrow

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
I've used the time so far to prepare, but honestly oddly because of the pace I've been trying to keep lately waiting for November is kinda slowing me down. Although, I really needed to take a break. Typically I just go until I can't anymore and feel miserable for not doing something. Had a few high pomodoro count totals (writing/work sessions) ever in the past couple of months, excluding this month. So I've been getting ready and I am nearly set.:

Cleaned
Updated computer + Scrivener
Outlined, synopses of the entire composite novel
Am sufficiently bored

Fortunately I don't really have to work on character sheets since most of the characters in the novel are already fleshed because I'm writing a prequel.

This mostly just coincides with a regular flow of things. I'm thinking of aiming higher the 50k but can't seem to change the word count goal only add a new one.

Also does anyone know what the little purple laurels on people's avatars mean.. and the halo? I couldn't seem to find anywhere to tell me what they each stood for.

Right now it's just the calm before the storm.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling prepared and not at the same time. Last year (the first time I successfully completed nano) I had essentially every scene outlined. However, since then, I've finished drafts with a much less comprehensive outline.

For this project, I have my characters and their journeys planned, certain parts outlined, and a clear idea of how the story is going to go. But there are certain things I haven't ironed out, point a to point b for a few plot points, and even whether to include certain things format-wise like multiple pov interludes, etc. I figure I will get a feel for it as I go along.

Or I will get lost halfway with all my unanchored plot threads.

It could go either way.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This might be a new thread - but has anyone participated without a plan and all the setup? I have had an event I manage cancelled and find myself suddenly able to participate. I have NOTHING yet, just a smudge of an idea. Is it mad to even try?
My first few NaNos were like this. I kind of miss it. :)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
This might be a new thread - but has anyone participated without a plan and all the setup? I have had an event I manage cancelled and find myself suddenly able to participate. I have NOTHING yet, just a smudge of an idea. Is it mad to even try?
That's how I did it last year. I was actively drafting and I just worked on making my routine fit the word count. Didn't win, but it was a great experience. :)

So, TRY.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
For many years, I tried something new for every NaNo, & the first year, my new thing was pantsing it. All I knew going in was that the MC would fall out of a tree in the first line. I did win that year.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I decided I'm gunna give it a go for the first time, and I'm starting without even the smudge. And a day late. To be fair, that's how I start nearly all of my projects though.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes you should try! Even if you don’t finish, nanowrimo is always a worthy endeavor. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t complete—at least you wrote something! I’ve failed a lot of years and only completed once, but I think it’s always worth it to try :)

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been on a writing break for a while. So even though I feel (kind of) prepared, I’m worried my stamina isn’t. But we will have to see!

DarkWriter223

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Are you writing random stuff when you do NaNoWriMo because I don't know about you guys but my writing is sort of not relating to my story. It's going all over the place lol.

Reactions: Albedo

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is definitely not random. But I have been known to write a query during NaNo and count the words. And once I counted the words I spent on a cover letter for a new job. It was writing. In November.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I was considering writing where inspiration took me in my dystopian world, but ended up writing in a fantasy novel that had been rattling around for a few months instead.

While still writing on my dystopian sci-fi WiP. I am only counting the sci-fi in the november writing habit thread. I am counting the fantasy in both the november thread and the NaNo thread. I've been disappointed that so far I'm not doing as much as I would otherwise because my sleep hasn't been good lately. So I feel a little weird when others tell me I'm doing well when I feel like I'm not doing much.

Reactions: Albedo

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I started with literally nothing other than a bit character from a previous story and a first line. My only other novel project started the same way and got to nearly 45,000 words before falling apart under the weight of its own formless anarchy, so here's hoping we can go the distance this time.