November 2021 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

TStarnes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tstarnes.com
Day 1
I missed a bunch of goals, but I'm also traveling for work and spent the better part of the day on an airplane, so I count any words for the day as a victory

The Trumpets of Mars: 456 words
Fanfare: 1,362 words written
Extraction: 1,222 words written.
Going Home: No work done on the outline.

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
DAY 1

Had a migraine so in the brief lull of painkillers, I stuck to note book work as the thought of a computer screen was too much.

Managed a vague backstory for the antagonist. She’s nasty but didn’t want her to just be nasty. Her story / involvement with M won’t be revealed until at least book 2 but it now explains why she doesn’t just ‘get rid of’ M when it’s clear she must know that M is a mage, treating sick magifolk (who can’t go to the normal physicians because there’s something different about their blood) AND she knows M is smuggling magifolk out of the city.

Anyway, rereading what I wrote this morning is hilarious. Luckily I can decode my migraine ramble…

DAY 2

- 1,000 words of A&A.
- Random scene for my own amusement. Probably won’t do anything with it, just needed to free write. Helps flesh out A and M’s personality clash a bit. I love playing around with characters in different scenarios (never publish worthy, just for fun).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
700 words (actually written last night).

The print proof arrived for my finished manuscript so I must shift gears again back to that, reading for typos etc for the formatter. I've read 94 pages this morning and found four slight hiccups. Not too bad. They aren't typos, not really, just things that bug me. A comma splice, for example.

Hope to blow through the whole thing by tomorrow night.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
~1,700 on NaNo fantasy today.

Hoping to add a thousand or so on Sci-fi WiP today, none yet. If it doesn't happen, I'm good with that.

Reactions: Woollybear

Imaginaryist

Registered
Reaction score
Okay 1st of November and here I am, going to start with the same goals as last month which were (just for me mainly).
1) come out here once a day and make at least one post
2) write daily, not here
3) do some editing at least 3 times a week.
so here we go.... wish me luck.
Yep, the 2nd of November, two days in a row. Not saying that's a personal best or anything but one should celebrate the little things, a little celebration anyway.
1) so 2 posts
2) was trying to rework the intro to my story, give the readers more information quicker. This was more editing or rewriting than new writing, it could pass for 2 or 3. kinda fudging the details on that one. Can't wait to see what else I might achieve before bedtime.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
About 500 words net on my sci-fi WiP, in addition to my NaNo fantasy, not bad.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 2 - 946 words, wrapping up the prologue for Book 2. I added in some background on the FMC and her powers, some hints on who's after her, and her instalove reaction to the two men destined to be her protectors, since this supposed to be a romance, after all. Nothing like meeting your fated mate in a vision, and the first thing he does is put his hand on your ass. Lucky for her she's got two of them, and the other one has manners.

Maybe it was the dreary weather today, but I'm feeling tired tonight. I think I'll go through some of my longhand entries, read a bit of someone else's book, and go to bed early. Hope the veggies I had for dinner give me more energy tomorrow.

Second Moon - reading more is also a worthy goal. If you find yourself reading a really bad book, you can use it as instruction in how not to tell a story. Plus you get exercise when you throw it against a wall.

Lea - hope you're feeling better.

dansimmonds

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks @Cindyt & @Layla Nahar - Good to be back after a long time away.

Not a great day today. Stuff going on elsewhere and a prearranged golf day took much of my time.

November starting word count:- 38,774
November words per day target:- 500
November overall target:- 53,774

End of day 1:- 39,461
End of day 2:- 39,714
Daily word count:- 253

November to date:- 940
Distance to target:- -60 words

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a few words in my notes, some worldbuilding stuff that I hope to sprinkle into the narrative in the right places.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 2

WORD COUNT 705

GEORGIA (and Georgia Genealogy) – A Baby with a Baby

I will most def get my new laptop tomorrow! YaY!

Taylor – I love your story idea! You must write it so I can read it. Ironically, I’ve thought about writing a story set in Jesus’s time. This book The Didymus Contingency: A Time Travel Thriller Paperback – Jeremy Robinson and the Google page list of other books you might want to check out.

Moon – Here’s to more reading (and writing) in November!

Woolly – WTG on 700 words! Good luck with the print proof edit for the formatter!

Dan – Progress!

CMBright – Grats on 500 words!

Ptero – 960 words is awesome!

TStarnes - One word at a time gets you to The End.

Gatteau – 1973 words and meeting NaNo day 1 goal! WooHoo! Good goal chasing on day 2 and every day after.

Lea – Hope your migraine has eased by now. WTG on your notebook work!

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2 was 3,238

On the whole, day 2 went a lot better. I don't want to say "night and day" but... the difference while drafting and comparing the two is pretty substantial, just from an apples-to-apples standpoint (ie, looking at the narrative through the same viewpoint). And I even managed to work in some scenery-building details.

I've now written one of each POV chapter, and although I imagine it's *still* going to be a tough adjustment going through the book because I'll be shifting between tenses and... well, like I said before, it's unconventional if not experimental.

The one huge question mark is how many of each type of chapter I'll have. The first three chapters each cover a POV, but I probably won't try for a 1:1 throughout the rest of the book.

(And I would have got more done if not for a nap.)

Gatteau -- Grats on hitting your day 1

Cindy -- I've always said "once sentence at a time," but I guess Dean Koontz breaks it down a lot further :D

PraiseRao -- Grats on the 5k, that's a strong start.

Woolly -- The amount of re-reads you're doing would drive me insane.

CMBright -- Grats on the successful multi-tasking

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason the posts don't expand to the right so I'm just looking at these narrow columns - it makes it hard for me to see everything well so I hope I get everybody -

Helix - congrats on your nano work
Taylor - hello!
Moon, likewise, hello
Tsarnes - excellent work
Lea - way to go!
Woolly, congrats on the 700
CMbright - Nice 1700!
Imaginary - sounds good
Ptero - hello, & congrats on the 946
dansimmonds - excellent work (I was away on a break myself - first time (not counting outages) since the thread started)
Taylor, way to go
Cindy! nice 705!
Nether - nice work

Day 3
Just a little bit of revising in my WIP - taking it very slow and easy

Hope everyone has a wordful day

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 2- I wrote a poem about Father Time and humanity being "beautifully insignificant"

Poetry, in my opinion, is one of those things you can't force, so I'm glad I had an idea for one.

Layla - I've been taking things slow and easy for far too long. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Nether - That project sounds interesting. Good luck.

Cindyt - Yay for a new laptop.

dansimmonds - Hello! I don't think I've seen you around.

Pterofan - Ha! Well, I live in an apartment and I think throwing a thick hardback at the wall wouldn't be a good idea.

Lea123 - Messing around with your characters is always fun.

Last edited:

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
Just got home from Vegas and had a blast. Won enough money playing cash poker to cover all my tournament fees, which is always good. Would've even churned out a slight profit if I hadn't had an awful run the last two hours I played.

Anyway, I haven't written a word yet this month, but I have plans. "Say My Name" is ready for some polishing and re-drafting. And "Final Days and Deeds of Jasper McAllister" is fairly well mapped out. I have some very specific ideas for the climax, a good grasp of how we get there, I just need to figure out the details on the inciting incident. I know what I want in broad strokes, I just need to nail down specifically what happens.

I haven't put a lot of thought into Scarlet Hill. Other than wondering if this will end up being long enough to be considered a novel. I've resolved not to worry about it and just write the story I had planned and see what we get as far as length. If it ends up being more of a novella, so be it.

TStarnes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tstarnes.com
Day 2
Still traveling for work so still missing goals, but I managed to get in some writing time last night and got words in. I'm setting myself up to have to play catch up, but I guess thems the breaks when you still have to have a day job.

The Trumpets of Mars: 0 words
Fanfare: 762 words written
Extraction: 1,512 words written.
Going Home: No work done on the outline.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Nothing written the last two days, but..

• Marketing stuff set up for Discoveries release. An email address figures prominently in the story, so since I run my own domain, I created the email address there. I set up a reply so that if someone sends an email, they get a free goodie.
  • Got 3 job applications done. I hate applying for jobs, even in this environment. Supposedly everyone's hiring, but I can't get an interview to save my life. But my wife put in 3 apps and got 2 interviews. Yay for her and us, seriously. We need the money. But damn, it's frustrating for her to get that kind of response when I'm sitting here with nothing to show for 30+ applications in the last two months.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2

WORD COUNT 705

GEORGIA (and Georgia Genealogy) – A Baby with a Baby

I will most def get my new laptop tomorrow! YaY!

Taylor – I love your story idea! You must write it so I can read it. Ironically, I’ve thought about writing a story set in Jesus’s time. This book The Didymus Contingency: A Time Travel Thriller Paperback – Jeremy Robinson and the Google page list of other books you might want to check out.

Moon – Here’s to more reading (and writing) in November!

Woolly – WTG on 700 words! Good luck with the print proof edit for the formatter!

Dan – Progress!

CMBright – Grats on 500 words!

Ptero – 960 words is awesome!

TStarnes - One word at a time gets you to The End.

Gatteau – 1973 words and meeting NaNo day 1 goal! WooHoo! Good goal chasing on day 2 and every day after.

Lea – Hope your migraine has eased by now. WTG on your notebook work!
Thank you, Cindy! That’s a very kind thing to say. It makes me feel great to read that. I’ve only told two other people about it because I just didn’t know what to do with it yet. I would be thrilled to get your input once o have a workable draft.

Imaginaryist

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the 2nd of November, two days in a row. Not saying that's a personal best or anything but one should celebrate the little things, a little celebration anyway.
1) so 2 posts
2) was trying to rework the intro to my story, give the readers more information quicker. This was more editing or rewriting than new writing, it could pass for 2 or 3. kinda fudging the details on that one. Can't wait to see what else I might achieve before bedtime.
Day 3, end of the day for me. Trying to work from my laptop but it's running windows 10 and requires me to install windows 11. Someone told me Windows is the biggest virus ever conceived. Starting to believe. Sorry, not the post I waited to make but it covered my 1st step. Step 2, working on a major rewrite of chapter 1 which sounds impressive but really isn't. I'm going to call it good but I might be pushing my luck today. Better luck tomorrow?

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
I have already preplanned and structured out what is going to happen in my novel for NaNoWriMo. Today the last pieces of my beta kit came so I had to take time to prepare everything which ate away at writing time. Only got 1200 words so far today. Oh well, I still have a several hours before the end of the day... maybe I'll get back on track.

Edit: More tech support and pet distractions. I pushed it at the end of the day though. I always break around this time until midnight. Anyway, total today is 4,741. If my calculations are correct. My total NaNo is sitting at 15,831.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 3 - 398 new words on Book 7.

Not as much as I wanted, but I have an excuse. My FMC lives in Texas, runs a cattle ranch, and is pushing 50. She hasn't had relations with anyone other than her BOB* since her husband was killed. But now she's met the werewolf, and ... well, Miss Kitty just let her know her saloon is still open for business. There was no way I could top a line like that, so I decided to quit for the night. I was going to read over/edit what I've got of Book 2, but I think I'll just read and go to bed. Tomorrow I get to type longhand, so things will go faster.

*"Battery Operated Boyfriend," for those who don't read erotic romance. :greenie

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
November 3
Only 300 words on NaNo fantasy.
900 words on a flash fiction about Jane, a ball of yarn and a kitten inspired by a bit of a thread derail.

Poor Jane, once she realized she'd named the kitten, she knew it had already managed to find a furr-ever home.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Day 3 was 3,456

It consisted of a clunky world-building section that I'll probably need to rework a little, and the protagonist continuing to reconnect with his love interest.

The conflict is still more internal, although I've dropped breadcrumbs for some of the larger problems.

Layla -- That forums thing sounds like a crazy tech issue.

Moon -- The fact that poetry can't be forced is probably why I've never had any luck with it :LOL: Is the poem something that ties into a story or just its own thing?

Psychoclown -- You know, for some reason, I remember your username having a "q" in there. Anyway, if you're covering your costs while gambling, that seems like a win in my book... but I'm also not much of a gambler.

TSarnes -- Getting anything done while traveling for work seems like an accomplishment. Personally, I've managed to weasel out of just any work-related travel over the years

cmhbob -- The job market now is bizarre. Although supposedly it's a great time to look, it probably varies tremendously based on industry.

Imaginaryist -- Anything related to Microsoft winds up being a headache, but the alternatives for OSes kinda suck and then Office is unfortunately the standard.

Cindy -- Oof. The wait would drive me nuts.

PraiseRao -- Sounds like yours might be in better shape than mine overall. I still just have a rough idea of where I'm going, which is a pain. I think I probably have enough of a general idea to fill 70-80k words, with some escalating conflict, but it's dicey.

Ptero -- I feel like I learn so much from these topics :LOL:

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
I took a few weeks to build and write synopses for every part of the novel. Also its a prequel so I already know the characters and had a rough idea of what happened and just needed to put it in order. So I have it basically blueprinted before I started so I can just try to follow the map. Although you gotta roll with the punches of course since writing is much like fighting. You can prepare all you want but it is nothing compared to actually being in a fight.

I have some characters that are new and grew from nothing. It's interesting to see how it evolves. I always think of writing like a statue with organic bacteria of stone on it that gets molded and shaped as parts fall off, some parts grow into another direction. You just have to put in the framework and watch it grow.

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
Scarlet Hill - No progress today.

"Say My Name" - I didn't get to the re-draft of this short story as I had planned.

"The Last Days And Deeds Of Jasper McAllister" - This ended up being the focus of my day. After some help in the brainstorming section of our forums, I was off and running. I had to take a few breaks to research some things, because of the Old West setting. My knowledge of the era comes mostly from movies and I wanted to make sure I had at least a semi-accurate take on the setting. So I learned things like, yes saloons did sometimes have the double swinging doors on them, but not nearly as ubiquitous as film would make you think. And I got sidetracked down a few rabbit trails like reading about the Earp-Cowboy feud in Tombstone. But I still managed to pound out 1769 words. Its a little rough in spots, but I knew going into this story the first section was the most unpolished one in my rough outline. But everything is in motion and now we can get to the stuff that's been more vividly outlined.

Also my daughter and I have settled on a story we are going to collaborate on. I'm so looking forward to this. We will probably start next week.

TS - Getting anything done while traveling is impressive in my book. I took a week off from writing while in Vegas that was purely a pleasure trip.

cmhbob - Job hunting can be frustrating. Keep plugging away.

Imaginaryist - It wouldn't take much to convince me whoever told you that was right. And rewrites are an important step.

Rao - I have a similar take on writing. I've learned I need to plan a little, put a scaffolding in place of where I want to go and how I think I will get there, but sometimes characters take on a life of their own and you can't force them where they don't want to go. You have to be flexible, but for me at least, without the scaffolding laid out first, I start off running with a premise or character idea, and after a bit look around and go, how what do I do? Its funny how each writer has their own process. Some folks are meticulous planners and others just get an idea and let it fly. And then there is every spot conceivable between the two extremes.
But great word count so far. Wow.

Pterofan - I suppose in writing, like poker, you have to know when to cash out. :)

CMBright - Nothing wrong with a little detour with some flash fiction or a short story.

Nether - Its good to just get some on the page, even if its not perfect. Its at least out there and you might be able to find ways to massage the info in more gracefully at other points. And yes there was a q in my name originally it was a typo and the staff kindly corrected it for me.

And if you're good (and I like to think I am) poker isn't really gambling at least in the traditional sense of trying to beat the odds. Its playing a game of chance with the odds firmly in your favor. At least low stakes cash poker is like that for me. Tournaments are a little more dicey due to larger fields and limited payout pools. But even there, I know the tournaments I played are cashable for me. My buddy and I both plan to try our luck next year at the same event. He went 14 levels and I went 12. You need to last 17 to cash, so we were in the ballpark.