Not now, Science, not now...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
100-milllion-year-old bacteria have been found and revived.

All I'm saying is that 2020 might not be the best year for this sort of thing...

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Considering that's about when placentals were still shrews hiding in holes and sauropods were at their biggest, I think modern species such as H. sapiens will be okay. It would be interesting to know how they're different from modern microbes; I'll try digging through that journal later.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Considering that's about when placentals were still shrews hiding in holes and sauropods were at their biggest, I think modern species such as H. sapiens will be okay. It would be interesting to know how they're different from modern microbes; I'll try digging through that journal later.

The link is here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17330-1 (It's open access.)

The important bit is that they're in sediments up to 101.5 million years old. The youngest sediments are around 4.3 million years and they're from the middle of the Pacific Ocean. But this is 2020 and...well...yanno...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is getting away from me, isn't it?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
So, who's volunteering to lick the samples?

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading a very hilarious yet informative list (I think somewhere on tumblr) which considered the results of licking in which different fields of science. I vaguely remember that (paraphrasing) geology was 'go ahead' and epidemiology was 'God, please NO.'

As for reviving ancient tissue, I'm still waiting for my mammoth.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading a very hilarious yet informative list (I think somewhere on tumblr) which considered the results of licking in which different fields of science. I vaguely remember that (paraphrasing) geology was 'go ahead' and epidemiology was 'God, please NO.'

As for reviving ancient tissue, I'm still waiting for my mammoth.

Not the exact list you probably had in mind, but: https://imgur.com/r/tumblr/J4iHB7k

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That definitely would be part of a paleo diet.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. If it ends up consuming us for biomass then that's 2020 for ya and no harm no foul.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. If it ends up consuming us for biomass then that's 2020 for ya and no harm no foul.

That's more or less my feeling on the matter, too, and I can just hear the conversation now:

"Welp, Bud, looks like the Great Apes are a bust, too."

"Looks like it. Do you think maybe the seventh time's the charm or do we mark the joint down for a bad job and take the loss?"

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those bacteria are pretty old, they’re probably at high risk for COVID...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The next step is to find out what they taste like. hey, I don't make the science rules.
According to one of my family members, for certain branches of science, this is a common hazing ritual inflicted on you by your fellow grad students rule. You're expected to know what your "project" tastes like, where your project is usually a type of snail or something.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
While I concur, I have been told that without inadverted tasting of lab products we would not have one or two artificial sweeteners we now have today as they had not been the original intended research subject.

Whether that is a bad thing or a good thing, I leave for others to decide.