• U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Noob

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Seasonal Recluse

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to the forum members.

I am new to this website, but not new to writing. I have been writing ever since I was in grade school. I have nothing published, but I want to change that.
I have 2 books that I am writing, but I need help on how to write a query letter for my way particular way of writing. I have been on many websites researching by reading blogs and watching videos searching for a way to query that works for me. The problem is from everything I have researched they all teach how to query a novel with a plot involving a crisis that the main character has to solve or over come. However, this does not match the way I write.

The way I write is basically informative narration for kids and young adults so my characters are talking to the reader. In fact, they even refer to the reader and break the fourth wall in the novel. For example, in one sentence I have the two main narrators who know each other well enough to joke around and one of them says, "I think the reader gets your point. We don't have to explain it any more." This is in response to the other character who had listed several examples of how to do a particular thing.

The two books I am writing are different one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book. I have made plenty of drafts and completed the spelling and grammar checks. Therefore they are ready for the next step of querying and going from there.

I was a teacher for 15 years and it show in my writing because my stories are told by 1st person character or characters who is teaching the reader my stories are informative with hint of childlike narration.

I would love any help I can get. I have not sent any query letters yet because I am not sure how to phrase them, but from all my research I sure have the format down pat by now.

Feel free to ask me about my book or other things you wonder about me I'm open book :)

Reactions: Laurie Z and Izz

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome here, Seasonal Recluse.

Are your books juvenile nonfiction with fictional narrators? I think perhaps that is a type of narrative nonfiction, but don't quote me. Genre headings are confusing, subjective, and at times it's a real headache to sort out what any given agent or publisher expects.

You could say something like, " My Book involves informative narration for kids and young adults in which dual narrators converse about a subject and break the fourth wall in the book to direct comments directly to the reader."

Reactions: Laurie Z

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Seasonal Recluse. Which season(s) do you hide from? Me, I hate winter :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Seasonal Recluse! It's nice to meet you :)

You've definitely landed at the right writing place! AW has everything you need to help you continue to progress on your writing journey, from tons of information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing to an awesome community of likeminded folk to interact with.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will quickly help you understand not only the forum rules, but the culture and etiquette of each space within, too.

You might find our Writing For Kids room a good place to start exploring from. There's plenty else to discover, too, so take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself :D

See you around the boards!
Izz

Seasonal Recluse

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome here, Seasonal Recluse.

Are your books juvenile nonfiction with fictional narrators? I think perhaps that is a type of narrative nonfiction, but don't quote me. Genre headings are confusing, subjective, and at times it's a real headache to sort out what any given agent or publisher expects.

You could say something like, " My Book involves informative narration for kids and young adults in which dual narrators converse about a subject and break the fourth wall in the book to direct comments directly to the reader."
My books are told from a narrator but they rear things. One book my chapter book it about being a ground crew worker at an airport bringing in the planes and what they do once it lands.

The other book is hopefully a picture book about a child’s view of Seasonal Affective Disorder ( being sad during the colder months)
Hence seasonal recluse

Reactions: Catriona Grace

Seasonal Recluse

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Seasonal Recluse! It's nice to meet you :)

You've definitely landed at the right writing place! AW has everything you need to help you continue to progress on your writing journey, from tons of information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing to an awesome community of likeminded folk to interact with.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will quickly help you understand not only the forum rules, but the culture and etiquette of each space within, too.

You might find our Writing For Kids room a good place to start exploring from. There's plenty else to discover, too, so take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself :D

See you around the boards!
Izz
Thanks for the heads up on the writing for kids room

Seasonal Recluse

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Seasonal Recluse. Which season(s) do you hide from? Me, I hate winter :)
Yep winter that’s the one. In fact I’m writing a Childerns picture book on Seasonal Affective Disorder about feeling sad during the winter months

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
My books are told from a narrator but they rear things. One book my chapter book it about being a ground crew worker at an airport bringing in the planes and what they do once it lands.

The other book is hopefully a picture book about a child’s view of Seasonal Affective Disorder ( being sad during the colder months)
Hence seasonal recluse
What good ideas! The ground crew story would make a great picture book as well as a chapter in a chapter book.

I think spellcheck attacked your sentence. They rear things?

Elizabeth George's book Write Away