Non-Fiction Books About Using Software (Affinity Photo)

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently playing around with the idea of writing a book about book cover design basics with a focus on indie romance writers who want to design their own covers. I would like to outline the actual creation process with Affinity Photo, since that is what I am most familiar with. I would like there to be screenshots alongside tutorials. I'm just not sure what exactly is allowed, as far as copyright issues? (I would be self-publishing this book.)

When I look on Amazon I come across many Affinity Photo how-to books that are not official, but I am unsure if this is legally sound.

I've found information on Photoshop's licensing information stating it is okay to use screenshots, etc of their software, but can't find anything similar from Affinity.

I have messaged Affinity directly, but they just launched their newest version and are currently swamped with messages, so it might be awhile before anyone gets back to me.

Has anyone on the forums here published a book about Affinity, Photoshop, or any other software?

bunny hugger

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a good niche for a self-published book. I am not a lawyer but it is generally a good idea to assume these things are not "safe" without permission.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the romance book part, but a definitive volume about Affinity Photo would be a great idea.
There are quite a few unofficial books about using Affinity Photo out there already, either for general use or specific types of photography. I am definitely not an expert on the program, but have been using it for years for book covers.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a good niche for a self-published book. I am not a lawyer but it is generally a good idea to assume these things are not "safe" without permission.
I wish they had it clearly explained in their terms and conditions, like Photoshop does. I guess I just have to wait and see if someone from the company gets back to me.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently playing around with the idea of writing a book about book cover design basics with a focus on indie romance writers who want to design their own covers. I would like to outline the actual creation process with Affinity Photo, since that is what I am most familiar with. I would like there to be screenshots alongside tutorials. I'm just not sure what exactly is allowed, as far as copyright issues? (I would be self-publishing this book.)

When I look on Amazon I come across many Affinity Photo how-to books that are not official, but I am unsure if this is legally sound.

I've found information on Photoshop's licensing information stating it is okay to use screenshots, etc of their software, but can't find anything similar from Affinity.

I have messaged Affinity directly, but they just launched their newest version and are currently swamped with messages, so it might be awhile before anyone gets back to me.

Has anyone on the forums here published a book about Affinity, Photoshop, or any other software?
With the caveat that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, you might find it useful to read this thread.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
With the caveat that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, you might find it useful to read this thread.
Oh yeah, I'm all over that thread. lol I had a great discussion over there and came out with a much better understanding of the AI art tech situation.

This would be something else entirely: teaching the basics of cover design composition using legitimate stock photos and fonts that are properly paid for. I know I've seen other books using screenshots of editing software for tutorials, but I want to find out if that is legal or not with the software that I use.