Nominate a victim of fate

Humphrey Archer

Registered
Reaction score
I am recruiting victims.

You may give the first name of someone who you would like to see come to a sticky end.
Along with the name, you may describe one character trait or bad habit.

I may include your nomination in one of my short stories, and you can have the guilty pleasure of seeing them come to a nasty end in print.

Here are examples of my work:

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
I hope y'all got good lawyers.

If it's just a first name (and one trait/habit), I'm sure people will be fine unless it's something extremely rare. If it was a first name with an accurate description and then that story got sent to the person, there may or may not be a restraining order afterward.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
If it's just a first name (and one trait/habit), I'm sure people will be fine unless it's something extremely rare. If it was a first name with an accurate description and then that story got sent to the person, there may or may not be a restraining order afterward.

Are you a lawyer?

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
Are you a lawyer?

This feels like one that shouldn't need a lawyer, but anybody who is in doubt can consult a lawyer. At a certain point, I half-wonder what couldn't involve legal advice? Should a lawyer be involved with every publication?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Should a lawyer be involved with every publication?
Oh yes. Definitely. I say that as a lawyer.

ETA: IANAL

ETA2: I'm almost sure that's ^ very rude. :granny:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This feels like one that shouldn't need a lawyer, but anybody who is in doubt can consult a lawyer. At a certain point, I half-wonder what couldn't involve legal advice? Should a lawyer be involved with every publication?

Certainly publishers generally have access to lawyers -- contract law is a big thing. So is defo.

And defamation cases can bankrupt you whether there's merit to them or not.

Humphrey Archer

Registered
Reaction score
Certainly publishers generally have access to lawyers -- contract law is a big thing. So is defo.

And defamation cases can bankrupt you whether there's merit to them
Right, but that gets you into the territory of anyone can sue anybody for anything, and the costs can be enormous

Humphrey Archer

Registered
Reaction score
Not a lawyer myself, but my understanding is that it wouldn't meet any of the criteria for defamation. Making a character die in a fiction piece doesn't defame a real person, as far as I can tell.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lawyer myself, but my understanding is that it wouldn't meet any of the criteria for defamation. Making a character die in a fiction piece doesn't defame a real person, as far as I can tell.
OK.

I want Donald, whose one defining characteristic is grifting the American people bigly while deliberately letting them die of COVID and perpetuating the Big Lie, to .... get caught in his chopper's rotor blades, or have a coronary whilst eating three Big Macs, or fall into a dumpster that catches on fire, or whatever.

Still game?

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
OK.

I want Donald, whose one defining characteristic is grifting the American people bigly while deliberately letting them die of COVID and perpetuating the Big Lie, to .... get caught in his chopper's rotor blades, or have a coronary whilst eating three Big Macs, or fall into a dumpster that catches on fire, or whatever.

Still game?
It is not necessary to name your vic for people to figure it out. The classic example, I believe, being Aesop.

Another example, from nearer to the present day. It may even be true: Two ordinary Germans were riding a tram in Berlin during WWII. One exclaimed “He should be shot!” The other quickly asked, “Who are you talking about?” The first German replied, “Churchill! Who did you think I was talking about?”

Reactions: Humphrey Archer

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Right, but that gets you into the territory of anyone can sue anybody for anything, and the costs can be enormous
Exactly. The costs to both sides.

And since you've solicited names and characteristics...

A very well-known crime writer used my name for a character. It was agreed and all above board - and the character clearly isn't me -- but I still had to sign a waiver.

Reactions: lizmonster

Humphrey Archer

Registered
Reaction score
OK.

Still game?
Sure

Donny was a loathsome scammer that preyed on the gullibility of people who had the idea that one might get something for nothing.

Scalps tickets, forges passes, and fakes doctor's letters.
Has a job as a stores clerk at an air ambulance facility.
Sells authentic parts on the black market and swaps them out for greymarket and fame parts.
Steals from his girlfriend and cheats on her. She calls him hearless, and says he will die heartless.

One day he is watching a helicopter engine test, and fake bolts in the rotor head fail. End of a rotor blade hits him in the chest, tears out his heart. He dies heartless.

Done

Reactions: neandermagnon