No Man's Sky

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
This game had a weak launch, but is now one of my favorite games EVER made. There's so much to do now and they keep adding more. It's incredible in VR. You can dive in the ocean and swim with alien fish, explore caves/underwater caves, take a trip in a submarine, build a land rover and go driving around, get a giant mech suit, grow a living spaceship, domesticate alien creatures and ride them, jump off volcanoes, get into space battles, build bases. I've played other games online, but it's a whole other thing to play in VR and be able to fist bump your friends and actually see people's heads turning to look at you. Anyone else play?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've had this on my wishlist since release but have never picked it up. I know that if I do it'll suck up all my free time.
Still, you're making a compelling case for it... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: kinokonoronin

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have it but have yet to play it! I guess I'm afraid the learning curve is too high,

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I started playing NMS this year after being put off until now by the early reviews, and I have over 800 hours in it so far. It's both peaceful to play and feels satisfying. Sometimes I feel like doing missions for people, sometimes fighting aliens on derelict space freighters, and sometimes I just want to spend time building a base. Finding a system that no one has seen before and scanning its creatures, flora, and fauna, and having it logged as my discovery, is just relaxing, and I like that I can start from nothing and be able to harvest what I need to survive. I play solo, but I'm sure it would be very fun with others. You can do the storyline or ignore it. It's become one of my favourite games.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This is one for the long list of games I shall get around to eventually, because it's had incredibly good reviews ever since its retooling, considering it became an instant joke at its launch. But that list is loooooong.

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
I played this enough to start getting a feel for the depth. For me it was great and very obviously very expansive, but I just didn't quite feel connected with it. There are so many ways to play the game that in the short term it's actually very forgiving to a new player - any "mistakes" you make are easily corrected. Planet generation is wonderful, base creation becomes straightforward (once you master the basics) and thankfully there is a teleportation system between systems you've discovered. For me though, it all eventually became a little overwhelming and directionless. Probably because I wasn't paying enough attention to what I should be doing I admit...

krawriter

Registered
Reaction score
It’s a huge bummer they released when they did. A massive portion of gamers will miss out on NMS because of how janky the game was on launch. As someone who’s worked in the industry, I’m pretty peeved in general about rushed launches… cyberpunk being the latest embarrassment, with many more to come :(

NickyRainbow

Registered
Reaction score
I played it years ago at launch, and like many others, was disappointed that it fell so far short of what it seemed capable of. It does sound like it's finally starting to live up to its potential nowadays, and I have been meaning to jump back in. I had it on disc and traded it in, though, and I'm bitter about the idea of paying for it again! I know that as soon as I do, it'll show up on PS Plus!