Newby

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to AW and would like to introduce myself:

My name is Tony and I'm originally from East London (the England version not the South African) and am now living, very happily, with my wife of 46 years in the Costa Almeria, Spain.

I'm jogging on a bit, as my friends would say, and have been writing on and off for around 20-25 years.

I'm not exactly new to this kind of writers' forum, but it has been I while since I last posted, so please be gentle with me.

I have started many, and taken a couple of novels to fruition. My genre tends to settle on historical fiction, though I do not favour any particular era - whatever gets my juices flowing and takes the maximum amount of research seems to do the trick (I must have masochistic tendencies).

I self-pubbed my first completed novel to much acclaim from my wife, two great aunts and a "genuine Amazon member" back in 2014.

THE END

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

My name is Tony and I'm originally from East London (the England version not the South African) and am now living, very happily, with my wife of 46 years in the Costa Almeria, Spain.

I'm jogging on a bit, as my friends would say, and have been writing on and off for around 20-25 years.

I'm not exactly new to this kind of writers' forum, but it has been I while since I last posted, so please be gentle with me.

I have started many, and taken a couple of novels to fruition. My genre tends to settle on historical fiction, though I do not favour any particular era - whatever gets my juices flowing and takes the maximum amount of research seems to do the trick (I must have masochistic tendencies).

I self-pubbed my first completed novel to much acclaim from my wife, two great aunts and a "genuine Amazon member" back in 2014.

THE END
Welcome, T.Major! Do you set your historical novels in England or Spain? Certainly lots of opportunities there!

Clearly your wife, great aunts, and one random person have excellent reading tastes :D

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Unimportant.

Actually, my first novel was set in ancient Gaul. My second, as yet unpublished or ever likely to be because it is sitting around in my docs, was set in Asia during WW2.

You?

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear, I fell off the writing wagon for about ten years and am trying to creep back up the steps. I used to write short stories, mostly spec fic.

Ancient Gaul sounds fascinating!

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
It’s a shame you gave it up. Shorts are a good way back though.

Ancient Gaul is fascinating, especially around the time of Caesar. My book focussed on Vercingetorix and his battles with Rome, taken from the Gauls’ perspective for a change.

excuse my ignorance “spec fic”?

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
Please excuse if I don’t reply to any further comments on this thread. It’s an hour later here than anywhere else, and I just yawned, which is exhausting in itself when you get to a certain age. So …

• Haha
Reactions: Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Tony! It's great to meet you :)

You've found your clan here, I'm sure. AW is home to an awesome community of creative folk from all over the writing spectrum (newbies to established pros, and plenty in between and otherwise), and has more information regarding the craft and business of writing than you can shake a stick at.

The best way to get yourself back up to speed re forum stuff would be to carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied threads at the top of each forum room. Doing that will not only help you learn the forum rules but also the etiquette and culture of each space within. Too, they'll help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

AW is vast, and can be intimidating/overwhelming at first but if you take your time exploring you'll learn your way around soon enough. We have a healthy cadre of historical writers, many of whom hang out in our Historical Writing room, so you might find that to be a good place to start exploring from. Something many find helpful is to bookmark the front page of the forums so it can serve as a bit of a tether/anchor if you find yourself lost. As well as that, bookmarking your hangout spots can make getting to them quick and easy.

Explore, lurk a bit if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Reactions: T.Major

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It’s a shame you gave it up. Shorts are a good way back though.

Ancient Gaul is fascinating, especially around the time of Caesar. My book focussed on Vercingetorix and his battles with Rome, taken from the Gauls’ perspective for a change.

excuse my ignorance “spec fic”?
Speculative fiction: fantasy, science fiction, and horror

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my first novel was set in ancient Gaul. My second, as yet unpublished or ever likely to be because it is sitting around in my docs, was set in Asia during WW2.
Whereabouts in Asia, can I ask? (I use a deep background of the Fall of Singapore for my last.)

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
Whereabouts in Asia, can I ask? (I use a deep background of the Fall of Singapore for my last.)
Hi mccardey, The novel is set predominantly in Singapore and aboard the S.S. Vyner Brooke until Japanese planes sink her. It's the story of Vivian Bullwinkel and her fellow nurses murdered on Radji Beach by Japanese soldiers.

I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of her until about six years ago. I found the story fascinating but could not find anything other than rather "dry" documented books on the event. So, I decided to write it in the form of a novel.

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi mccardey, The novel is set predominantly in Singapore and aboard the S.S. Vyner Brooke until Japanese planes sink her. It's the story of Vivian Bullwinkel and her fellow nurses murdered on Radji Beach by Japanese soldiers.

I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of her until about six years ago. I found the story fascinating but could not find anything other than rather "dry" documented books on the event. So, I decided to write it in the form of a novel.
She's been a hero of mine for so long. I'd love to see more of her story. My god, those women, walking into the sea :(

T.Major

Registered
Reaction score
She's been a hero of mine for so long. I'd love to see more of her story. My god, those women, walking into the sea :(
Yes, it was tragic. It's in the middle of an edit/proofread. Perhaps when I've been around AW long enough I'll post some to read.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

THE END
Welcome! It's gr8 to have you here. Congratulations on getting your first novel published. Where is your novel for sale?

KMLove

Registered
Reaction score

THE END
Hi Tony. It is nice to meet you.

Krampus Nacht

Krampus