Newbie in New Zealand

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am sort of the opposite, a Kiwi that moved to the US and became a citizen. And anyone who dislikes lollies is not to be trusted, especially jetplanes and milk bottles.

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am sort of the opposite, a Kiwi that moved to the US and became a citizen. And anyone who dislikes lollies is not to be trusted, especially jetplanes and milk bottles.
Oh dear mother of dogs. Jetplanes and milk bottles. There goes any hope of friendship we may ever have had...... Go eat some Jolly Ranchers and learn the errors of your mistakes :) :)

To be fair, I did eat my share of lollies -- and cakes, choccies, etc -- till a Certain Womanly Time Of Life period, after which my interest in anything sugary went to zero. Weird, but there you have it.

lessimnz

Registered
Reaction score
Part two.

The other way to get to the forums you seek is through the 'FORUMS' button near the top of your screen. Scroll down to the largest blue heading, called "AW Writing Lab." This is where 'share your work' is housed.

Click on Share Your Work. (I'm not sure of the password.) Historical Writing Share Your Work (SYW) is the third sub-subforum.

Good Luck!
p.s. 16-19 years ago was 2002-2005 and I recall many conversations with colleagues about moving to NZ during that time. I recall standing in the prep room between college classrooms, speaking with other adjuncts about the WMD lies and the rush to war, for oil. I recall lots of those on the right saying no one on the left would ever actually leave. :) Now I know two people who did! And found it to their liking.
Indeed you have. There is a better way...not perfect, but better, keeping in mind humans are involved.

We often heard "I wish I had the courage" from lots of those same people at our work. It always perplexed me. We don't think of ourselves as courageous...perhaps intolerant is a better word? At some point you can either roll over or find a way to counter the things you believe breach your ethics, which is what we did. We were lucky to do it when we did...for many, it is no longer possible.

Reactions: Woollybear

lessimnz

Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is peanut butter on apples really an American thing? It is according to Stephen Colbert, but I'm wondering if it's an injoke or maybe a meme I've missed...wouldn't be the first time...(guess I should probably google it...)

And welcome to the forum!
Oh yeah!...and Bananas. Best snack ever. And fruit...NOT meat pies...Please!

lessimnz

Registered
Reaction score
Opps...well, I do like Werther's...and the chocolate...but...

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I now have this image in my head of someone devouring lego-like figurines sporting cowboy boots and stetsons. Creepy. I even googled it, hoping to replace my interpretation with fact, but nope, didn't work.
:ROFLMAO:

Jolly Ranchers. They turn your tongue blue, or green, or purple.

• Love
Reactions: lessimnz

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Time for me to dip my toe in the " I'm a writer" waters. I can tell those waters are much warmer than the Pacific waters here...they're cold!

I'm an American Expat, now Kiwi citizen, living in New Zealand for the past 16 years. There's was this story, see, that I carried around for way too long that I never had the bandwidth to write...until the time finally came a few years ago when I did have the time and wrote it. I write Historical Fiction (not Romance) and now have a LARGE MS back from an editor...Earthquake...but I survived, and am now sifting through the rubble with deep edits...and discovering wonderful new things and that I still LOVE the story...Phew.

This is my first novel...full transparency, my first foray in to writing at all. I am self-taught, and hope that doesn't scare people off.

I love 19thC lit...practically all of it (I know I know, too wordy, work to read, all that omniscient stuff [yummy]). Top if list, Middlemarch. I also love HF (well not all of it, but) and Biography. Also anything super interesting in the Non-fiction realm (Love your, Kurt Anderson)

I like beta reading things that align with my interest, even stuff that is not my style, but since I am committed to finishing my novel, I have to be picky.

I used to quilt and garden, until I started writing....I'm a lifelong reader, and consider myself to be well read, but sometimes I feel like the metaverse of books is too much of a tidal wave for me to say that anymore...

Looking forward to making some new friends and learning a lot. Thanks for being.
I am also self-taught! It's daunting to foray into the writing world amongst people who have been writing much longer and have a lot more background knowledge, but it can be done! It just takes a bit of tenacity :) I finished my first novel a little bit ago, and it would have been a relief if I didn't immediately start writing another one haha

Good luck on yours! And I hope to see you around the forums :)

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I've never met an Aucklander I didn't like. The lollies, though, are disgusting ;D
I visited NZ a few years back, and all their candy and chips tasted so strange to me: an American. Every other piece of food was so much better, but not the snacks! And I was seventeen at the time so this was upsetting. Years later, I realized that it's because a lot of the toxic stuff Americans put in their candy is not allowed in NZ...

Doritos may be poisonous, but I will never give them up.

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I visited NZ a few years back, and all their candy and chips tasted so strange to me: an American. Every other piece of food was so much better, but not the snacks! And I was seventeen at the time so this was upsetting. Years later, I realized that it's because a lot of the toxic stuff Americans put in their candy is not allowed in NZ...

Doritos may be poisonous, but I will never give them up.
I think, too, NZ foodmakers use a lot less sugar and salt. When I compare recipes in US vs NZ cookbooks, the NZ cakes and cookies contain about half the sugar of American counterparts. And the chips here are a lot less salty than American chips. Both of which I appreciate, since I don't like things that are really sweet or really salty.

Reactions: rileyariel

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
I think, too, NZ foodmakers use a lot less sugar and salt. When I compare recipes in US vs NZ cookbooks, the NZ cakes and cookies contain about half the sugar of American counterparts. And the chips here are a lot less salty than American chips. Both of which I appreciate, since I don't like things that are really sweet or really salty.
American chips have so much fake salty flavor on them, they can literally burn the tastebuds off your tongue. (Looking at you hot cheetos)

lessimnz

Registered
Reaction score
I am also self-taught! It's daunting to foray into the writing world amongst people who have been writing much longer and have a lot more background knowledge, but it can be done! It just takes a bit of tenacity :) I finished my first novel a little bit ago, and it would have been a relief if I didn't immediately start writing another one haha

Good luck on yours! And I hope to see you around the forums :)
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Daunting yes, but fortunately I am blessed with an abundance of tenacity. Congratulations on finishing your novel...Next? Me, I just keep writing the same one over and over :LOL:. Some feedback has fortunately arrived just in time to start V5.! will it ever end? I anxiously await the opportunity to Share My Work...as soon as I come up for air.

Reactions: rileyariel

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Daunting yes, but fortunately I am blessed with an abundance of tenacity. Congratulations on finishing your novel...Next? Me, I just keep writing the same one over and over :LOL:. Some feedback has fortunately arrived just in time to start V5.! will it ever end? I anxiously await the opportunity to Share My Work...as soon as I come up for air.
Hopefully the versions aren’t a bit less than infinite!

I look forward to seeing you SYW!

Krampus Nacht

St. Nicholas and Krampus