New here

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Kelton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I just found this forum. I am currently writing my first fantasy novel. Maybe I could post some samples and get some feedback sometime.

Reactions: Izz

Nether

is wondering whether a childhood friend was real
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Maybe I could post some samples and get some feedback sometime.

Probably in about 49 more posts. Need 50 substantive posts to access SYW, although there's a share your 3 sentences and a share your first 200 word topic accessible before then.

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I just found this forum. I am currently writing my first fantasy novel. Maybe I could post some samples and get some feedback sometime.
Welcome, Kelton! Congratulations on working on a full length novel -- and, of course, congratulations on picking the best genre to write in :)

You'll probably find, as most authors do, that by the time you've completed the novel, things have changed in your head: the character arcs, the plot, some aspects of the setting, some of the twists and turns that happen along the way. Which is fine -- that's what revisions are for! Rewriting and revising is all part of writing.

For the most part, when people ask for feedback on their work here, they tend to post samples that have been revised and edited and polished and perfected. They've fixed all the mistakes they can find, and they're asking other folks to spot mistakes they can't see for themselves. If an author posts a writing sample that they haven't polished and perfected, the critiquers are probably going to focus on things like spelling, grammar, punctuation, a character's name being spelt three different ways, etc. Which is kind of a waste of time for everyone, especially if the author then comes back and says "Oh, yes, I knew all those mistakes were there, I just hadn't bothered to fix them.

I'd encourage you to read some of the stories and chapters other people have posted on this forum, and also read all the critiques they've received. This will give you an idea of the type of work that people are willing to take the time to critique, and the type of feedback that people provide. Make sure you're ready for it before you ask total strangers to rip your work apart! And, of course, if you start off here by offering to help others, and by writing critiques, you'll demonstrate that you intend to be an active, contributing member of Absolute Write who will give as well as take.

Sections you may find interesting to read, and offer critique of your own to help those authors, or join in discussions about the craft of writing fantasy, are in:

this subforum
this subforum
this thread
this thread

As @Nether noted, you can't start a thread asking for critiques or for beta-readers until you've made 50 posts on Absolute Write. Again, this is to make sure you're ready for critique, and that you've made some contributions to the community.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, welcome, welcome! :D

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is, in my opinion, the internet's premier writing place, with all the info you'll ever need on all things writing and publishing, and home to an amazing community, to boot.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you quickly understand not only the forum rules, but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within, and will also help make the forums less overwhelming.

There's a lot to discover, so please take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

writer316

hitchhiking across the novel-craft galaxy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, @Kelton ! Welcome to AW, fellow fantasy writer! :hi:

Kelton

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Probably in about 49 more posts. Need 50 substantive posts to access SYW, although there's a share your 3 sentences and a share your first 200 word topic accessible before then.
No problem. I am not in any rush.

Kelton

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t posted lately. I do plan on becoming more active was life settles down. 🫠