New here

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

djdrysdale

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new around here. I've been writing my whole life in some form or another. When I was a kid I used to write stories all the time, but when I grew up, went to university (for a long time--I have a PhD in English lit), I stopped writing for fun quite as much. I never lost interest in it—every so often I'd go through a spell where I'd consume a lot of craft books with every intent of writing--but it was only in the past year and a half or so that I actually started writing again. First, I started a blog on professional topics (I work in the digital part of a large, non-digital company), and then earlier this year I finally started back into fiction.

I'm sitting on maybe 30 or 40,000 words of a first novel that I'm blocked on and trying to get back into after a few months away. It's a crossover fantasy novel that's heavily inspired by my love of the ocean and its lore while tackling father/son relationships and mental health. I feel like I have a better grasp on the theme right now than the plot, and I am working out how to tell the story I want to tell. I also have a concept for a sort of paranormal thriller that's been rattling around in my head for years but I've never done much with, yet. I'm not someone who deeply feels the need to find an audience or publish, but writing a novel is something I want to do, sort of to fulfill a promise to my much younger self who wanted to be an author when he grew up. My biggest challenges seem to be 1) getting my butt in the seat and 2) plotting. I have a great deal of information about structure but executing on it is another thing.

I'll read just about anything, but tend to migrate toward sci-fi, fantasy, and mystery stories.

For hobbies outside of writing, I play guitar a bit (maybe not super well), am a big baseball fan, and am interested in things like knowledge management and trivia games.

Happy to be here, and looking forward to learning from you all!

Reactions: Izz and Holly Green

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

When I was a kid I used to write stories all the time, but when I grew up, went to university (for a long time--I have a PhD in English lit), I stopped writing for fun quite as much. I never lost interest in it—every so often I'd go through a spell where I'd consume a lot of craft books with every intent of writing--but it was only in the past year and a half or so that I actually started writing again.

I also only returned to fiction writing within the last year (coming up on almost exactly a year), and my drop-off also really happened as a result of going to college (and I could off on a side-tangent on that whole subject)

I'm sitting on maybe 30 or 40,000 words of a first novel that I'm blocked on and trying to get back into after a few months away.

Best of luck. I've always found it tough to resume anything after a gap of time passes (and have often just chosen to restart an older project entirely than trying to pick it up again from where I left off).

My biggest challenges seem to be 1) getting my butt in the seat and 2) plotting. I have a great deal of information about structure but executing on it is another thing.

I've found that daily routines really help with the first. I'm a strong advocate of the "write every day" approach, which greatly benefited me although it took time to really get into it.

(Plotting is trickier, and everybody has their own system.)

Reactions: djdrysdale

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, djdrysdale! AW can never have too many fantasy writers ;) My favourite genre!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, djdrysdale! It's great to meet you :)

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW has all the information you could ever need regarding all things writing and publishing, and is populated by an active, eclectic community of folks at all stages of their writing journeys, from newbies to established pros.

The forums are large, and it can be easy to get lost at first but if you take your time exploring you'll know your way around soon enough. Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied threads at the top of each forum page. These resources will help you understand the rules, etiquette and culture of each space within the forums.

You might enjoy our Outwitting Writer's Block room, our Science Fiction | Fantasy genre room, and our Mystery | Thriller | Suspense writing discussion space.

Explore, lurk if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Krampus Nacht

Krampus