• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nemesis Publishing

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I had a look around the website and formed a few opinions:

Easy to navigate, clean and professional site. It's a family business and seems fairly new, so best of luck to it.

Book covers are okay, but not great -- 'Pocket Rocket' would probably look nice in print, but in thumbnail form the text is near unreadable which could have significant impact on sales of e-books. The poorly resized Vertigo cover image really needs replacing.

Looks like they don't do e-books at the moment, which I find unusual in this day and age

I can't find Vertigo online because it's a common book title and there's no listed editor, which seems strange. Pocket Rocket is on sale here.

Their 'For Writers' page is nicely put together, and shows knowledge of the publishing industry.

The blog is extremely rarely updated.

It seems like they have a lot of enthusiasm and potential, but no publishing credentials as of yet. I'd be excited to see where they go in the future, but I'd be cautious about submitting until they've built up a reputation.

There's noticeable potential for confusion with this .co.uk site since this Nemesis Publishing is also based within the British Isles (Isle of Man).

EDIT: After thinking on it further, I actually find it a worrying sign that "Vertigo" (released after "Pocket Rocket") has very sparse information listed on their site compared to "Pocket Rocket". No Events, no blog posts... very little evidence of any publicity efforts.

Also there's no 'buy' links anywhere on the publishers site. Even though they mention a direct-from-site ordering system is 'coming soon' I'd expect some links to online bookstores where you can buy their books.

As much as I hate criticizing start-ups, I'm having serious doubts about this team's ability to promote.

Last edited:

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I queried them in 2011 when I was inexperienced in the whole process. The owner liked my partial so I submitted the full. He said he will get back to me in 3 weeks. Three weeks came and went, 5 weeks came and went. So being the inpatient newbie I was, I emailed him to see how the process was going. No response. A few months later I submitted the same novel again (yes not the best move) no response so I moved on.
As I liked them on Facebook I saw their posts. Now what I saw wasnt targeted at me but it felt like it. Their post was something like 'if you submit the same novel to me I rejected before don't send it again. We are not stupid.' Not exact words but close to it. I was offended, disliked them on FB and moved on. From my experience, they are not very professional in the way they dealt with things.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hope you don't mind me quoting the exact lines from their Facebook page, Kellie:

Nemesis Publishing
29 April 2012
Writers, if a publisher rejects your manuscript, don't submit the exact same thing three months later as if is the first submission never happened. We might not be the brightest people in the world, but we do have long memories...

That feels highly unprofessional, though it's also not the first time I've seen updates like this. :(

They seem to be putting more work into updating their Facebook page than their actual site, with mention of a third upcoming novel and some work in progress projects.

There's also a four month gap in any update from them 16 July 2012 - 9 October 2012. They say the four-day long Max Lit Festival caused this delay.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site stuck in '12. Of the four books scheduled for '13 (mentioned in their last blog post), only one was published. Tw/FB ceased in '14.