• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta Help

Yportne

Registered
Reaction score
Would like Alpha (writer-oriented) and Beta (reader-oriented) feedback for my apocalyptic novel. The setting is the near future when high altitude EMPs (electromagnetic pulse) zap the world back to the dark ages. The story focuses on the courage and resourcefulness of survivors who face a world they don’t want to forge a world they do want. It's not sci-fi or fantasy. Thanks for any help coming my way.

Yportne

Registered
Reaction score
Would like Alpha (writer-oriented) and Beta (reader-oriented) feedback for my apocalyptic novel. The setting is the near future when high altitude EMPs (electromagnetic pulse) zap the world back to the dark ages. The story focuses on the courage and resourcefulness of survivors who face a world they don’t want to forge a world they do want. It's not sci-fi or fantasy. Thanks for any help coming my way.
Would appreciate feedback on first chapter if that's all you have time to spend. Would also be happy to trade feedback

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered putting up the first few thousand words at the appropriate SYW board so people can get an idea of what your writing is like? Are you offering critique or beta readings to others, so they may feel a fondness or an obligation? Are you active on the genre's board, so people see this request and think, Hey, Yportne's cool. Maybe I can help.

I don't mean to be unkind, but you waited only five hours before revealing your impatience. Maybe it would be wise if you read this.

Maryn, who rarely beta reads but does critiques, usually behind the scenes

Reactions: Unimportant

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The setting is the near future when high altitude EMPs (electromagnetic pulse) zap the world back to the dark ages.
This is fiction, within a scientific framing. It's sci-fi. Trust me.

Sci-fi means science fiction. It does not mean "space battles." Kindred is sci-fi, although it is realism on a southern plantation. The Word for World is Forest is sci fi, although it is commentary about the Vietnam war.

The story focuses on the courage and resourcefulness of survivors who face a world they don’t want to forge a world they do want.
This means character-driven. You write character-driven sci-fi.
It's not sci-fi or fantasy.

I write sci-fi, but not space battles (or whatever the bulk of sales are these days), but I never offer to alpha or beta without seeing a sample of the work ... because I've been around the block a few times. There are too many people looking for feedback without return on work that can be improved ... without the effort of a second writer.

Last edited:

CA Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
If you still need a beta reader, please let me know. I can also proofread if you need that later on as well.