NaNoWriMo, what more uses are there than just counting words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
While Maryn's thread Guidelines to Forming an In-Person Critique Group is geared specifically about what it says on the tin, I'm guessing a lot of the suggestions in there would be applicable to all kind of writing groups. Just that talking about writing groups in general adds another layer of stuff that have to be sorted out to have a compatible group. Well, at least as far as I understand it, Writing Group can mean quite a few things.

Personally, I'm still at a stage where I'm trying to figure out what I think I would get out of a writing group, and really don't have a clue what I can bring to the table myself. For example, I would love to have more people to bounce ideas with, but I don't know if I would be as enthusiastic about bouncing others ideas. Maybe I am, but maybe I'm not. If not, then there would have to be another reason for other people to want to have me in the group. One of the many reasons to for me to join this forum, and joining in on NaNoWriMo, is to figure things like that out. :)
Thanks Lundgren! I will check out that thread. Yeah, that's a difficulty I've found. I love hearing all the details and sharing all the details of every story, but other people like to be a little more vague. I am an idea person, almost to a fault, so it's hard for me not to want to talk about them.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember some of the "tips" posted when I first started in 2010:

- Write out all numbers
- Don't hyphenate
- Don't use contractions

These are silly things when you're talking about drafting - but they were offered as tips to hit your 50K, because at its heart NaNo is a game. It's a game that can teach you about your own process, and things that do and don't work - but fundamentally, the purpose is to have fun.
Also, use LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG names. I mean, seriously LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG names. Last year, my MC was named Rory but every time he introduced himself to somebody new, he used his full name of Ruaidhri Fionnbharr Odhran Sionainn Ó Flannagáin. Several times. Perfect opportunity for him to say his name, the other person replies "What?", and Rory repeats it. Boom. WORD COUNT? INCREASE-ED!

I've also used NaNo to actually complete manuscripts. I have an increased chance of finishing a manuscript that's started during NaNo.

Lundgren

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lundgren! I will check out that thread. Yeah, that's a difficulty I've found. I love hearing all the details and sharing all the details of every story, but other people like to be a little more vague. I am an idea person, almost to a fault, so it's hard for me not to want to talk about them.
I'm guessing some are afraid their idea might be stolen, and others might be a bit embarrassed about their ideas.

Myself, I've noticed I can be a bit vague if it revolves around a topic that's sensitive, or people might consider to be icky. Then I tend to hold back until I know the person I talk to doesn't mind.

Being able to bounce ideas is great. I miss bouncing ideas with a former coworker as often as could back then, and I think my ideas always became better from it. So I'm sure it will be worth the effort to search for the right group. :)

Reactions: rileyariel

Lundgren

Registered
Reaction score
Also, use LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG names. I mean, seriously LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG names. Last year, my MC was named Rory but every time he introduced himself to somebody new, he used his full name of Ruaidhri Fionnbharr Odhran Sionainn Ó Flannagáin. Several times. Perfect opportunity for him to say his name, the other person replies "What?", and Rory repeats it. Boom. WORD COUNT? INCREASE-ED!

I've also used NaNo to actually complete manuscripts. I have an increased chance of finishing a manuscript that's started during NaNo.
So... What about adverbs. Stacking loads of 'em instead of using those pesky efficient strong verbs? 😁

DarkWriter223

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about NaNoWriMo: is there a rule about how much to outline? Or can you just pantsy the thing and keep on hittin' words until you get to 50k? I am afraid if I were to outline any longer I won't be able to get to the target word count on time.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
No rules! There are literally thousands of pantsers every nano, hundreds who start with nothing at all. I usually have half an outline, enough to get me to 50k. Some people practically have their novel written in outlines. It's about having whatever you need to get to 50k.

Reactions: DarkWriter223

Lundgren

Registered
Reaction score
Those are really, really, emphatically, strongly, and absolutely encouraged! Really!
That's really super duper great to hear. :)
Last year, my MC was named Rory but every time he introduced himself to somebody new, he used his full name of Ruaidhri Fionnbharr Odhran Sionainn Ó Flannagáin.
Word count jokes asides, that's a cool name :)

Status
Not open for further replies.