NaNoWriMo for Non Fiction

Deleted member 42

Heaven help me, I'm really thinking about doing this.

The official statement for NaNoWriMo here says:

Nanowrimo.org said:
We define a novel as "a lengthy work of fiction." Beyond that, we let you decide whether what you're writing falls under the heading of "novel." In short: If you believe you're writing a novel, we believe you're writing a novel too.

Apparently there's a coterie of "rebellious" non-fic writers on NaNo.

Unfortunately, I have a rigid, New England literal brain, and I know I'm not going to be writing a novel.

But I thought if there were other like-minded crazy people writers, we might do something in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a Non-Fic idea buzzing around in my head. I've tried writing chunks of it before, and I just have no idea what I'm doing.

So I don't think I'll attempt that book in NaNo... :tongue If I did, I'd probably wind up with about 20 separate articles on what is wrong with the world, but nothing that I can use for the book.

:)

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm part of that rebel group; to me, NaNo is for whatever challenge you need to make of it.

NaNo is for you, not anyone else. I did NaNo for my narrative nonfiction book last year and got half of it done (draft of course) -- all 50,000 words. That's what mattered to me!

Every other year, I seem to need the push NaNo gives me. But then I'm a reporter, I do deadlines.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding what Gatita said. IMO, use NaNo to spur your creativity in whatever project you're wanting to undertake. I've used NaNo for new drafts as well as rewriting/continuing existing drafts. Having a built-in cheering section of people commited to the same craziness is inspiring.

The lady who browbeat me into trying NaNo is a poet. For her second NaNo, she reasoned that if a picture was worth a thousand words, a haiku was like a picture, so she pledged to write fifty haiku. Another friend of mine is an artist who tried to do sketches each day of the month. So pick your path and go for it!

:e2cheer:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, NaNo is just a very good reason to push yourself. What you do is up to you.

IMO, of course. :)

(Update though. I've sort of changed my NF idea a little, so that it's philosophy instead of physics. Philosophy gives me the freedom to launch into different topics at will, whatever will make my point. But I probably won't be writing it for a few years, at least until I've got some philosophy subjects under my belt at Uni. Ultimately, there isn't much chance of getting this book published until I have a relevant Uni degree anyway, so yeah...)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bah! I'm so close to finishing a couple other projects starting a non-fic NaNo might not be a good idea for me. Besides, with the research required for the idea I have there's no way I'm going to get 50K. Great idea, though. Best of luck to anyone who goes for it.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
If I may?

From Chuck Wendig, linked to by CaroGirl in the "What Chuck Says Thread" http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226647

25 Things you need to know about NaNoWriMo

#23 Fuck the Police:
NaNoWriMo has a lot of rules: you’re supposed to “start fresh,” you’re not really meant to work on non-fiction, blah blah blah. This is all just made-up stuff. It’s not government mandated. This isn’t taxes, for fuck’s sake. Do what you like. Even better: do what the story needs. Hell with the rules. Fuck the police. Write. Write endlessly. Don’t be constrained by this program. It’s just a springboard: use it to launch your way to awesomeness. Anything you don’t like about it, toss it out the window. That certificate you get at the end doesn’t mean dog dick. The only thing that matters is you and your writing.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I considered writing a non-fiction book this October-December, including 50K for NaNo in November, but I gave it up because my personal opinion is that I need to do too much research to be able to write down 1,667 words a day during one month.
But that's just me. If you feel you can write a non-fiction work for NaNo, just go ahead. If it's 50,000 words and newly written, I don't think you will face arrest by the NaNoPolice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is not cheating to be a NaNo rebel. They specifically call people who go outside the rules "rebels" because in the end it's really all about getting to 50K. The only way to cheat is to count words you didn't write in November.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to be a NaNo rebel. Does that mean sign up for NaNo officially, or are we just doing in on here?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to be a NaNo rebel. Does that mean sign up for NaNo officially, or are we just doing in on here?

Go ahead and sign up. Remember, the only one who sees what you're writing is you.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I signed up. This should be insane. Er, I mean, fun. :tongue