NaNo dilemma: to chocolate or not to chocolate?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Half-price Halloween candy = great for my soul, bad for my tushie. So, do I give in and stock my freezer (I freeze my candy so I won't eat it all at once), or do I stick with my tea stash?

Yes, these are weighty matters every writer must consider.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Half-price Halloween candy = great for my soul, bad for my tushie. So, do I give in and stock my freezer (I freeze my candy so I won't eat it all at once), or do I stick with my tea stash?

Do it for me!

I don't know how I'm going to survive NaNo on a diet. :cry:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I think I may need to start running again to keep my weight under control.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Tea, or healthier snacks. If I put munchies near my computer while writing, I'm going to eat them no matter how much I tell myself not to so I need to make sure they're something which won't hurt me.

One way to approach candy is as a reward. Only have a piece as reward for <xxx> amount of writing done (and <xxx> better be more than two sentences :D), and make sure the candy stash is somewhere else so you need to get up and fetch it.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
If it was me I'd stick with tea... but then, I already have a lot of tush going on over here and don't need to add to it.

I've also asked my husband to get me up and to the gym with him in the mornings.

Yes, I am masochistic.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In 2005 I had a See's chocolate sucker every day when I sat down to write. For a few days I was able to convince myself that that was all I needed

Yeah, major snackage happened later.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
One way to approach candy is as a reward. Only have a piece as reward for <xxx> amount of writing done (and <xxx> better be more than two sentences :D), and make sure the candy stash is somewhere else so you need to get up and fetch it.

I like this idea!

Oh wait, I don't think one M&M per word is going to work. :ponders: :D

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Tea.

We bought a mini-trampoline recently, so that's my frustration-vent. Impossible to be in a bad mood while bouncing. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I got the dance dance revolution game and totally intended to do it each day as a break in writing.

Then Halloween came and my guy friend borrowed my one and only sports bra. He didn't give it back to me until almost Christmas. Needless to say, there was no NaNo exercise at all.

This year I'll be better, hopefully.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com

This is what I'm planning. I'm trying to decide on some reward to hold out for 2k days.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

I LOVE frozen Reese's cups.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
Chocolate is so tempting. All those miniature snicker bars sitting on the shelf unloved. *sigh*

I'll do my best to avoid more than a token taste of chocolate, though. Tea and coffee, for certain, though.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back on my diet, so I'm only planning to dole out the chocolate and other bad stuff as rewards. I figure at 5k I get a candy bar, at 10k I get a pizza (small, with spinach and feta cheese on it...mmmmmmm), at 15k I get a candy bar and a Coke, at 20k I get a pizza and a coke, etc. With those rewards I think I'll probably finish my NaNo novel in about a week. :)

I like how Chris Baty suggests in the NP?NP! book to keep healthy munchies by the computer, like carrot sticks. I totally need to get some carrot sticks--I love them anyway but never get them because I figure I'll cut up my own from actual carrots. Which I never do.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Hmmm, since it's already cold here, I think my NaNo best friend will be a nice cup of hot chocolate. Mmmm... chocolate abuelita.... *drools*

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I actually do the healthy snack near the computer thing. I ... er ... I eat baby spinach leaves as if they're potato chips. It's kind of stealth veggie-ing myself -- I eat mindlessly while I'm writing, to the point where I don't actually taste what I eat, as long as I'm eating something. Chips, chocolate, whatever...so I tried the spinach leaves one day, and even though I don't like spinach by itself that much, it wasn't that bad. I get something in my stomach, I get to keep my mindless-eating addiction, and I don't feel so bad when I do grab the M&Ms. :D

Oh, and I vote tea. Green tea with lemon. :Coffee:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Huh. Moth, that's interesting. I guess I sorta do the same thing in a way - I eat bran crackers. They're not as bad as they sound. I think they're basically just whole wheat crackers, but since whole wheat as a concept is lost on Sri Lankans, this was probably the best way for the marketing department to get the idea across. They're hideously healthy, and at first they tasted like cardboard, but I'm used to them now.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Celery is The Perfect Food in that it takes more energy to eat and digest it than it provides as food. But I'd hate to read the novel I would write while only eating celery...

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Hey moth, that's a great idea! If you're up for a change from the spinach, here's a recipe for kale crunch (my favorite healthy munchie):

Kale Crunch:

1 large bunch of kale
a few tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan with Pam spray.

Wash kale, remove stems, and tear the leaves into big pieces. Pile onto the baking sheet and put into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. They'll wilt, then slowly get chewy-crispy as the kale dries out.

Sprinkle on the cheese and salt. Continue baking for another 10 minutes or until the leaves are as crisp as you'd like. Make sure you stir every few minutes so that the leaves bake evenly. I sometimes turn off the oven and leave the pan in there to let the kale dry out even further.

Hmmm, maybe I'll munch on this instead of the chocolate.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spinach? Kale? Bran crackers?

They've all gone mad. MAD I say!

OhnoesWhyUA128383142584618750.jpg