Name--Submittable

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
I was a little confused about something and wonder if I need to correct it. I just submitted a poem to a journal that used a form through Submittable. In their guidelines, they said be sure to include the basic info--name, address, etc. I know that Submittable has contact info--so I didn't have it on my poem itself. You also always get an instant email confirmation that cites both your name and the name of the journal as the "sender." (So I always assume they have your name through Submittable). I noticed now that the Submittable page that comes up when you actually go to submit something doesn't actually have your NAME on it. A neurotic question here (don't laugh, a relative beginner at submitting) but do I need to send the journal my actual name in a subsequent email now (since it was not on my poem or the submittable "form" I described) or do they have it through Submittable? I was thrown off because they specifically said "don't forget name, address, phone, email address" and Submittable does provide them this info.

Thanks in advance

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an account with Submittable?

You may find this and/or this useful.

Without seeing the exact form used by the specific market in question, it's hard to comment further.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
My submittable confirmation includes my first name and a thank you for submission to #####, in the one page submittable confirmation email.

Reactions: fountain923

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
In the submission form, were there fields to put in your contact info?

Also, was there room to put in a cover letter? You should always have your name in that, plus whatever other info they're asking for (address, email, pronouns, etc)

Reactions: fountain923

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chase. I don't recall what was in my original Submittable form when I opened my account and they asked for my general info--but my name is obviously linked to it and I do get confirmation emails through S that mention my name and the particular journal. I set it up back in 2020 and used it just for a contest once. I subsequently used it last year to send a poem to Rattle (who responded to me by name and it was also through S). When I first get to my S page, it has my address, phone, email info already in (but not my name). When it took me to the journal's page now, the journal asked some specific questions that were yes/no re: its requirements. It had a space for a short bio, which I typed in the first person because it seemed a bit informal and in the moment. There was no cover letter. Just my attached poem (but as said, my poem did not have my name on it). So, my name was never "typed in" anywhere today. I did get the usual personal email confirm. though. I just got scared because they said in the Sub Guide don't forget name, email, etc. Why would they say that if it is through Submittable anyway. Just wondering if I should send them my name in a quick email. If it helps any, it was Room Magazine.

Thanks a million!

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
My submittable confirmation includes my first name and a thank you for submission to #####, in the one page submittable confirmation email.
Hi, Gramps. Thanks. Yeah, me too. That's what I meant. Does the journal have your name because you're getting this personalized confirm from them (even though it's a form letter) and I shouldn't worry? I just never typed my name in today--thinking Submittable had all the info--then I realized they don't have the name and it's not on the poem. But I've submitted to Rattle this way, only that journal doesn't take you then to it's "own" form, I think.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should send them my name in a quick email.
If they are using Submittable, I would guess it's precisely because they want to avoid having to wade through emails and respond to them. My vote would be No. Don't do it. If, in 2X their stated response time you have heard nothing, submit again using Submittable and include contact details in the work.

Reactions: mrsmig

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
If they are using Submittable, I would guess it's precisely because they want to avoid having to wade through emails and respond to them. My vote would be No. Don't do it. If, in 2X their stated response time you have heard nothing, submit again using Submittable and include contact details in the work.
1. Thanks. Do you know anything about this, though? Is the personal confirm email from them thru S enough to suggest they do, in fact. have your name?

2. My possible email to them would not require a response. It's just to give them my i.d. info if needed. They do invite emails from people unsure if this is the right journal for them. etc.

3. Problem with waiting is that their possible response time far outruns their closing date for submitting.

Thanks for your help.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know anything about this, though?
No, I don't. Sorry. You'll have to check for yourself how your Submittable account works and decide whether you need to contact the editors.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did get the usual personal email confirm. though.
If they've confirmed your submission, and they have your email contact linked to the submission, I can't understand what more you'd want than that.

Reactions: Maryn

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, anyway.
Yes, I really hope I'm just being a nut here! It was just that it registered with me this time that my actual name is nowhere on the S form page or asked for on the mag's S form page and the mag still made a point in their guidelines of saying don't forget name, etc. despite the confirm. email that goes out to you. That's why I was wondering if I should just drop them my contact info.
Thanks for all your help and all the mommying (only my 2nd poem sent through S).
Had to eat cake.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know anything about this, though?
If you are still concerned, you might reach out to @TexasPoet. He submits and is accepted on a regular basis and I would imagine Submittable is generally the process. I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a moment to calm your fears. His response may not be immediate, but it would probably be helpful.
Gramps

TexasPoet

When Is It Dark Enough?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TerryJudeMiller.com
I was a little confused about something and wonder if I need to correct it. I just submitted a poem to a journal that used a form through Submittable. In their guidelines, they said be sure to include the basic info--name, address, etc. I know that Submittable has contact info--so I didn't have it on my poem itself. You also always get an instant email confirmation that cites both your name and the name of the journal as the "sender." (So I always assume they have your name through Submittable). I noticed now that the Submittable page that comes up when you actually go to submit something doesn't actually have your NAME on it. A neurotic question here (don't laugh, a relative beginner at submitting) but do I need to send the journal my actual name in a subsequent email now (since it was not on my poem or the submittable "form" I described) or do they have it through Submittable? I was thrown off because they specifically said "don't forget name, address, phone, email address" and Submittable does provide them this info.

Thanks in advance
Logon to Submittable and look under “Actives”….if your submission is listed there…the publisher has your info. ; )

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Logon to Submittable and look under “Actives”….if your submission is listed there…the publisher has your info. ; )
Just a followup, if you don't mind. Since the mag used Submittable and that supposedly links them to all your contact info, why would the mag say in their guidelines, don't forget name, address, etc. They didn't say to put that on the doc so I took it as make sure it's on your SBM form. Does asking for this info mean, instead, PUT it on the doc if they don't say not to?

I did a semi-dumb thing in not putting it on the doc. I saw now that Shunn says it's standard. The only other poems I subbed so far were to Rattle and they want nothing on the doc and also use SBM and say include name, etc. so I just sent the same doc to this mag., thinking it was similar.

I did check Actives--it's "Received," which you said means they have my contact info. But back to my above question, does their asking for the info on guidelines mean they want it "separately" from SB form as well? Should I then send it all to them in a message/email? (They sound nice and it would be less stupid to do that sooner than later).

Again, a relative newbie with SBM and with subbing in general. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! 😃😃😃

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
The person reading your submission might have only the file (easier to put on their Kindle or whatever), so they would need your name/address/etc in there to line it up with your application to update it properly (stories can have the same or similar titles, so it removes that variable). Some markets don't want that sort of personally identifiable information in your file, though, because they want to judge it blind. They don't want to introduce bias, conscious or otherwise, by seeing a white and/or male-sounding name and thinking better of it (or assuming that an application from not-America or a not-American sounding name is automatically not fluent in English). So there is a very valid reason to do things in either method, which is why both are asked for.

The most important part about submitting, no matter what you're submitting, and no matter where, is to READ THE GUIDELINES! If they ask for your contact info in the fields AND the cover letter AND the file, you do it. They probably have a really good reason why! They deal with thousands of submissions, they have gotten their workflow down to a science. So you have multiple versions of your file ready, with and without contact info, and your cover letter, and a long and short version of your bio, and all of that stuff. And you read the guidelines, and you double-check everything is as it should be before you hit send.

Remember, they're getting hundreds of submissions per period. They're looking for any reason to pass on yours. Asking you to read and follow the guidelines and check everything before you send it is a pretty low bar, and if you trip over it, well, that's how it goes. You take it as an important lesson and you do a better job next time.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
why would the mag say in their guidelines, don't forget name, address, etc.
Can you point to where in the guidelines they say this? I couldn't find it anywhere on their submission guidelines page. Their contest guidelines do say
Submissions will be anonymous to the judges. Please ensure that your name or any personal details are not included in your submission document; this includes the file name. (You will have a chance to include your contact information on the Submittable form).
(my bolding)
If you have submitted to Room's contest, and you have removed your name and other details from the submission document, and you submitted it via Submittable (which has all your contact details embedded in your account), and you've received the auto-email response that they've got your submission, I can't understand what the problem is?

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Can you point to where in the guidelines they say this? I couldn't find it anywhere on their submission guidelines page. Their contest guidelines do say

(my bolding)
If you have submitted to Room's contest, and you have removed your name and other details from the submission document, and you submitted it via Submittable (which has all your contact details embedded in your account), and you've received the auto-email response that they've got your submission, I can't understand what the problem is?
Thanks so much. No, it wasn't a contest. It was just a poetry submission. When I clicked "Submit" days before to see the guidelines it brings you to a page if I recall where you scroll down to Poetry, click on guidelines--that's where the brief item is about don't forget your name, etc. Yes, Submittable told me all that info is accessible to them but Chase brought up another point here--maybe that little note on their guidelines DID mean they need it on the file also for the reader working on it (I am careful about SGuidelines and getting them right but I think pubs should clearly state to put your info on the DOC ALSO when they're using SBM because that can be misunderstood, especially by first time SBM users entering all contact info in the SBM fields).

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
The person reading your submission might have only the file (easier to put on their Kindle or whatever), so they would need your name/address/etc in there to line it up with your application to update it properly (stories can have the same or similar titles, so it removes that variable). Some markets don't want that sort of personally identifiable information in your file, though, because they want to judge it blind. They don't want to introduce bias, conscious or otherwise, by seeing a white and/or male-sounding name and thinking better of it (or assuming that an application from not-America or a not-American sounding name is automatically not fluent in English). So there is a very valid reason to do things in either method, which is why both are asked for.

The most important part about submitting, no matter what you're submitting, and no matter where, is to READ THE GUIDELINES! If they ask for your contact info in the fields AND the cover letter AND the file, you do it. They probably have a really good reason why! They deal with thousands of submissions, they have gotten their workflow down to a science. So you have multiple versions of your file ready, with and without contact info, and your cover letter, and a long and short version of your bio, and all of that stuff. And you read the guidelines, and you double-check everything is as it should be before you hit send.

Remember, they're getting hundreds of submissions per period. They're looking for any reason to pass on yours. Asking you to read and follow the guidelines and check everything before you send it is a pretty low bar, and if you trip over it, well, that's how it goes. You take it as an important lesson and you do a better job next time.
Thanks for the info about the file. That's what I mean, maybe they also want it there. I do read the guidelines like a sacred writing over and over. I am the opposite of flip about any submission stuff but I was confused with this one because they get this info from SBM anyway and there are first time SBM users who need to enter all their info in. They didn't specifically mention "put it on the doc" or I would definitely have done so. That's where savvy comes in and reading between the lines and knowing the defaults, etc. for subbing. As mentioned, I had been subbing to a "not on the doc" place that also used SBM and did this one similarly. It didnt occur to me that it being on the doc or not mattered if they didnt specify. I should've looked at Shunn's brief comments on poetry again as I did when I began to sub poetry.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3. Problem with waiting is that their possible response time far outruns their closing date for submitting.
If it's not for a contest, do they have a submission closing date?

I'm confused enough by now that I'll bow out of this thread.

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
If it's not for a contest, do they have a submission closing date?

I'm confused enough by now that I'll bow out of this thread.
Sorry if I/we confused you. Yes, they have a mid-April close for regular poetry submissions.
Bottom line:
..Sent thru Submittable
..Didn't put any contact info on poem itself.
..Submittable assured me they can access all my info thru Submittable.
..OK. But because they said don't forget name, address, etc. in guidelines I'm wondering now if they wanted it ALSO on the poem.
..Therefore, wondering if I should just email the contact info to them.

Thanks for trying to help with this.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
OP, I clicked through to the contest rules. They don't want any info on your entry and they do want you to use Submittable. Submittable stores your personal info. Therefore, they do have your name, addy, etc, and if you stripped identifying info from your entry, you're done. forget about it and move on to the next call for entries with a different piece of work.

And if by chance you messed it up? Move on. There are a lot of contests and calls for entries.

Last edited:

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
OP, I clicked through to the contest rules. They don't want any info on your entry and they do want you to use Submittable. Submittable stores your personal info. Therefore, they do have your name, addy, etc, and if you stripped identifying info from your entry, you're done. forget about it and move on to the next call for entries with a different piece of work.

And if by chance you messed it up? Move on. There are a lot of contests and calls for entries.
Thank you so much, Calla! I appreciate your help. Only thing is it wasn't the contest, it was for regular poetry submissions. They will have my info thru SBM, I verified but, as Chase noted in a reply, perhaps the reader needs it separately, on the doc itself.

As of now it's "in progress," don't know if that's any clue to the info not on doc not having mattered or not. I care especially about this sub because of a lot of research for a "fit" with this poem.