• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Naked Reader Press

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know of these guys? What I've found so far is all good (some authors who have been published by them and think it's great), but if it's not talked about on AW I get nervous.

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
4 out of 5 "people involved behind the scenes" that they have listed are editors of some sort. Doesn't that imply they would edit?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
4 out of 5 "people involved behind the scenes" that they have listed are editors of some sort. Doesn't that imply they would edit?

My impression came from a combination of the submission requirement "We are looking for completed manuscripts that have been polished and proofread" and the number of Amazon reviews that signaled dissatisfaction with technical issues (" one too many glaring grammatical errors" etc).

They may, in this case, mean editor as a less literal job title. e.g. the Acquisitions Editor acquires. The Senior Executive Editor is the boss and the assistant editors assist her.

Last edited:

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
What draws you to this press?[/QUOTE]
I was researching another publisher when I somehow wound up on someone's blog, which I failed to bookmark and can't find again, and several of this publisher's authors made replies that they were published with this publisher, loved them, they are great to work with, blah, blah, blah. When I checked out their website I liked what I saw- good covers, good prices, general contract terms seem fair...

My impression came from a combination of the submission requirement "We are looking for completed manuscripts that have been polished and proofread" and the number of Amazon reviews that signaled dissatisfaction with technical issues (" one too many glaring grammatical errors" etc).

Not only did I miss the "and the number of Amazon reviews" part, I still can't find it!

On a side note, when publishing companies state "no simultaneous submissions", and have at least a 2 or 3 month turn around, do authors still sim-sub? No sim-subbing drives me nuts!!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What do you mean about missing Amazon reviews? They have four pages of books on sale at Amazon.

I, personally, don't sim sub. That is because I am generally subbing the the exact publisher I want. So getting an offer from a 'also ran' publisher would just complicate things.

Naked Reader strikes me as a fairly generic, not terribly well known, publisher of all genres. Well established, well known, genre-specific publishers are generally preferable IMHO.

Also their Kindle ranks are very high. So if they are selling well, it isn't through Amazon.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Everything except erotica, 2 000 - 130 000 words, nice royalty on cover price.
http://nakedreader.com/
Small epub; covers like from a publishing upstart of 5 years ago. Checked out random book on Amazon - rather messy prose, but quite adequate basic editing, punctuation included.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
◦Royalties will be 60 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for e-books sold

"less credit card processing fees for e-books sold"??? That's not cover price, that's net...or worse "credit card processing fees" could be anything.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
◦Royalties will be 60 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for e-books sold

"less credit card processing fees for e-books sold"??? That's not cover price, that's net...or worse "credit card processing fees" could be anything.

Good catch.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity after '13.

ETA: As of last month, parent changed its name from Naked Reader, LLC to Inkstain Publishing Co.

Last edited: